Game Development

JLCitadel

Alright so I'll make it short and simple, it'll be general so if you have any specific questions just ask.

I want to develop a game.

I want to use a full version of an engine with high graphic fidelity such as cryengine. (not just a sandbox version of crysis but a real engine where I can change textures, create people, interfaces, code combat or reactions.

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'll learn as I go.

ANY help or advice or tips is welcome.

& Hi all, been a while since I've posted ^.^ need to watch this weeks wan show tmro.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With no/very little experience creating a game 'such as cryengine' is damn near impossible for what you are wanting to do. 

Start off with the basics, like movement, gravity, shooting and such first. Maybe start off with UDK or Unity and look up some general tutorials on them. 

If you want to really get into CryEngine, learn C++ first. Some of the CryEngine basics are pretty easy, I would suggest downloading the SDK and following some youtube tutorials. Terrain creation/textures/item placement and basic flow charting are covered in YT tutorials. Anything more complex will require C++ knowledge and reading through the huge CryEngine documentation. 

If you have no idea where to start with game creation, I would suggest installing Windows 8.1, getting into the beta of Project Spark, and giving that a go. It's not a too bad game creation tool and teaches logic + flow.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

If you want to really get into CryEngine, learn C++ first. Some of the CryEngine basics are pretty easy, I would suggest downloading the SDK and following some youtube tutorials. Terrain creation/textures/item placement and basic flow charting are covered in YT tutorials. Anything more complex will require C++ knowledge and reading through the huge CryEngine documentation. 

If you have no idea where to start with game creation, I would suggest installing Windows 8.1, getting into the beta of Project Spark, and giving that a go. It's not a too bad game creation tool and teaches logic + flow.

I was under the impression SDK was a mock down version of cryengine ?

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was under the impression SDK was a mock down version of cryengine ?

You don't have access to the source code (though you do get access to a few bits and pieces), I doubt you'll need it just starting out (it's bloody complex enough). However the entire engine is there with all of its latest features, and everything you need to create a game is accessible. You might be confused with the Sandbox editors of the Crysis games.

Access to the source code requires a license from Crytek (around $1 million+) (I'm not sure if the indie licenses gives access to the source).

In all cases, unless you're creating an A-AAA title with a development team, you don't need the source.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

Make a small Java game. A good place to start. A lot of programmers suggest starting out with a more 'basic' language to get the ball rolling. Creating a game from scratch, even with a pre-built engine is a lot of work. Try out Unity and see how you go.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Make a small Java game. A good place to start. A lot of programmers suggest starting out with a more 'basic' language to get the ball rolling. Creating a game from scratch, even with a pre-built engine is a lot of work. Try out Unity and see how you go.

I've never liked the Unity SDK, forces you to pay $1000 for some pretty basic features.

Do you know any programming languages??

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

Start out with Small Basic and continue with Java and C# and then maybe C++ and more complicated languages.

I've never liked the Unity SDK, forces you to pay $1000 for some pretty basic features.

The free version is just as powerful. I did a little game dev workshop a few months back. The whole thing revolved around Unity. AFAIK, the paid version is if you plan to sell your game. A "commercial license" I guess. That's what I was told

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

You know there's a reason that there are teams of people that work on games? You're way too ambitious, especially for a first project.

Start with something simple. There's a course that starts in February that will walk you through creating a small mobile game. I suggest you have a look at that.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/begin-programming

In the meantime, try learning how to model/texture/animate if you don't know how to already, or follow some UDK or Unity tutorials, get a feel of how everything works.