How do I make less typing mistakes?

I have 20 years of typing and I could type at 80 wpm back in high school.  I notice now though that I am slower at typing and I make much more mistakes probably due to the placement of my keyboard and my fingers going down at the wrong times.  Practice hasn't made this any better either.  Maybe I am not pushing myself to improve?  I do not know touch typing maybe that could help?

Edited by FirstMateCapnJamesMchord
Removed wrong word.

put anime stickers on ur keyboard and ur wpm will double , its prolly the keyboard tbh

(◑‿◐)

5 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

put anime stickers on ur keyboard and ur wpm will double , its prolly the keyboard tbh

It happens on all keyboards that I use.

7 minutes ago, FirstMateCapnJamesMchord said:

I do not know touch typing maybe that could help?

- Learn how to touch type from a website like typing.com; Takes a week or two but it's worth it. You'll start off very slow (~20 WPM) but don't give up and you'll be up to speed in a short span of time.

- Learn to focus on accuracy rather than just pure speed/WPM.

- Stop looking down at your keyboard and memorize your keyboard layout.

- Practice typing on a website like keyhero.com; On this website, it's simple to monitor your progress.

My speed went from an inconsistent ~60 WPM to over 110 WPM with these simple tips.

Also keyboard doesn't necessarily matter. I'm faster on membranes than Cherry MX Browns.

And keep practicing. When I was learning how to type fast, I hit many barriers (in terms of how high my WPM was) but you just need to keep practicing to get better. There's no better way.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

- Learn how to touch type from a website like typing.com; Takes a week or two but it's worth it. You'll start off very slow (~20 WPM) but don't give up and you'll be up to speed in a short span of time.

- Learn to focus on accuracy rather than just pure speed/WPM.

- Stop looking down at your keyboard and memorize your keyboard layout.

- Practice typing on a website like keyhero.com; On this website, it's simple to monitor your progress.

My speed went from an inconsistent ~60 WPM to over 110 WPM with these simple tips.

Also keyboard doesn't necessarily matter. I'm faster on membranes than Cherry MX Browns.

And keep practicing. When I was learning how to type fast, I hit many barriers (in terms of how high my WPM was) but you just need to keep practicing to get better. There's no better way.

I don't look at my keyboard anymore but looking at it means I will type faster and make less mistakes as well.

I can't seem to commit to touchtyping I just lose interest.  Any tips or just power through?

7 minutes ago, FirstMateCapnJamesMchord said:

I don't look at my keyboard anymore but looking at it means I will type faster and make less mistakes as well.

Trust me, you have to stop looking at it. That's the only way to type faster.

8 minutes ago, FirstMateCapnJamesMchord said:

I can't seem to commit to touchtyping I just lose interest.  Any tips or just power through?

When you have some free time, spend 4 or 5 hours on learning touch typing. For the next few days afterwards, spend 1 or 2 hours on touch typing. Within a week or so, you'll be up to speed.

Just remember: No Pain. No Gain.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 hours ago, FirstMateCapnJamesMchord said:

It happens on all keyboards that I use.

try flat keyboard,  i have issues with high keyboards aswell :v

(◑‿◐)