My very first build

Hi,

I am planning my first build and I need some advice on my parts selection.

I will be mostly be gaming on this build with some video editing and streaming. 

I currently have a 1080p 144hz monitor and I'd like to play games such as Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Witcher 3, as well as esports titles.

I'd like to play at pretty high settings with 144 fps to get the most out of my monitor.

My budget is around £1500 (i live in UK) and since this is my first ever build I'd like some advice. I'd be open to change some components as long as it is within my budget.

Also, I already have an SSD which is why it is not included in the list. Thanks

1 minute ago, Tyrion007 said:

Hi,

I am planning my first build and I need some advice on my parts selection.

when are you actually buying?

also wait like for the launch of Zen 2. its right around the corner. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

when are you actually buying?

also wait like for the launch of Zen 2. its right around the corner. 

I am planning to order the parts within the next month or two, so I'm not in a rush

Just now, Tyrion007 said:

I am planning to order the parts within the next month or two, so I'm not in a rush

computex is at the end of this month, and its expected to be the launch of Zen 2. so i would wait untill then. 

4 minutes ago, Tyrion007 said:

I would also suggest waiting for zen 2 indeed.

but for 1080p 144hz you like do not need a 2080. A 2060 would do great for that.

but as said before, have a wait for zen 2 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

computex is at the end of this month, and its expected to be the launch of Zen 2. so i would wait untill then. 

I see, I was not aware of that, perhaps i could save some money on those new cpus (assuming they're cheaper than the 9700k)

thanks 

2 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I would also suggest waiting for zen 2 indeed.

but for 1080p 144hz you like do not need a 2080. A 2060 would do great for that.

but as said before, have a wait for zen 2 

yes I will wait until zen 2 comes out and see what it has to offer

as for the 2080, I do plan on moving on to 1440p 144hz and since the 2080 was within my budget rn I thought why not.

however i wont be doing that any time soon, so maybe a 2060 would be enough and then upgrade later? not sure 

@LukeSavenije 

no SSD? ?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

he said he already had one...

Oh I missed that haha 

Here's my list. I made a white theme.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£274.99 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: MSI - B360 GAMING ARCTIC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£164.29 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£104.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£45.89 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon VII 16 GB Video Card  (£610.79 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Case: Corsair - Crystal 460X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  (£100.00 @ AWD-IT) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx White 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£125.47 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Total: £1426.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-20 09:42 BST+0100

28 minutes ago, Tyrion007 said:

yes I will wait until zen 2 comes out and see what it has to offer

as for the 2080, I do plan on moving on to 1440p 144hz and since the 2080 was within my budget rn I thought why not.

however i wont be doing that any time soon, so maybe a 2060 would be enough and then upgrade later? not sure 

If it does fit within and you do want to go to 1440p I can understand the choice for 2080. 

For 1440p I recommend d the 2070 but half the forum will say it’s bad value (which depends if you want that extra 2Gb or vram, which on 1440p you do want imo)

but end of this month computex and we will know more about zen 2

@LukeSavenije @Daniel Z. doesn't the 2080 perform better? from what i've read the 16GB vram will almost never get utilised and havent seen many good reviews on it

also I use shadow play (a lot)

4 minutes ago, Tyrion007 said:

@LukeSavenije @Daniel Z. doesn't the 2080 perform better? from what i've read the 16GB vram will almost never get utilised and havent seen many good reviews on it

they trade blows on most things, but when you do utilize it, you get much better

and amd's drivers get better and better down the line, so it ages pretty well

amd has something around the same as nvenc

1 hour ago, Tyrion007 said:

I see, I was not aware of that, perhaps i could save some money on those new cpus (assuming they're cheaper than the 9700k)

thanks 

either save money or you will probably be able to get something better at that time. 

26 minutes ago, Tyrion007 said:

from what i've read the 16GB vram will almost never get utilised and havent seen many good reviews on it

8GB is allready getting "meh" when it comes to 4k it seems. also later reviews were a lot more positive once drivers matured. 

28 minutes ago, Tyrion007 said:

there is always Radeon Relive, that does the exact same thing. 

shadowplay isnt special. 

Your build looks pretty good, but would wait for Zen 2 since it's almost here. Depending on how much video editing you do and what software you use for it, I would consider moving up  to an i9-9900K and paying for it by moving down to a RTX 2070. Though very popular, I'm not a fan of the NZXT H500 case due to potential cooling issues. What about the Cooler Master H500? JonnyGuru doesn't like cable extensions. What about the Corsair RM750x White (2018) ? That MB is fine, but I think the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro wifi is a bit better.

17 hours ago, Bearmann said:

Your build looks pretty good, but would wait for Zen 2 since it's almost here. Depending on how much video editing you do and what software you use for it, I would consider moving up  to an i9-9900K and paying for it by moving down to a RTX 2070. Though very popular, I'm not a fan of the NZXT H500 case due to potential cooling issues. What about the Cooler Master H500? JonnyGuru doesn't like cable extensions. What about the Corsair RM750x White (2018) ? That MB is fine, but I think the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro wifi is a bit better.

I do light video editing every now and then with my recorded gameplay but nothing too serious. I use vegas pro 14 for that

The Cooler Master H500 is £30 more expensive here in the UK than the NZXT H500 and the mesh version is £60 more expensive. 

I will not be overclocking the 9700K since it already runs at 4.6GHz on all core turbo and that's good enough for me which is why I went with the Quad Lumi cooler instead of water cooling or a Dark Rock Pro 4 (also ive never actually overclocked before lol) So the NZXT case should be ok?

The Corsair RM750x White is £125 here so I save money by using cable extensions and the Aorus Pro wifi is £50 more expensive than the board I picked ?

I'm aware the Aorus board has better VRMs but again I won't be overclocking so I should be fine there as well

1 hour ago, Tyrion007 said:

I will not be overclocking the 9700K since it already runs at 4.6GHz on all core turbo and that's good enough for me which is why I went with the Quad Lumi cooler instead of water cooling or a Dark Rock Pro 4 (also ive never actually overclocked before lol) So the NZXT case should be ok?

Sure, but you could get something comparable or better quality for less money... 212 Black, Dark Rock Lite, Arctic 34 Esports

22 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Sure, but you could get something comparable or better quality for less money... 212 Black, Dark Rock Lite, Arctic 34 Esports

wow thank you for that list

what about this? I managed to find an AIO, which is actually cheaper than the Quad Lumi and is Tier 2 on the list

5 hours ago, Tyrion007 said:

I do light video editing every now and then with my recorded gameplay but nothing too serious. I use vegas pro 14 for that

The Cooler Master H500 is £30 more expensive here in the UK than the NZXT H500 and the mesh version is £60 more expensive. 

The Corsair RM750x White is £125 here so I save money by using cable extensions and the Aorus Pro wifi is £50 more expensive than the board I picked ?

I'm aware the Aorus board has better VRMs but again I won't be overclocking so I should be fine there as well

I'm still a little concerned about putting a i7-9700K and a RTX 2080 in that case due to heat issues. Here's a review of the case:

www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=7HK5Aulw7YI

Addendum: Reviewing the video, I think my concerns are unfounded. He had a 1080 in there which is a much hotter card and no problems with temps. At the end of the video he does discuss that a 240mm AIO will probably not fit, so I would reconsider using an AIO in this case.

On 5/20/2019 at 5:30 AM, LukeSavenije said:

they trade blows on most things, but when you do utilize it, you get much better

and amd's drivers get better and better down the line, so it ages pretty well

amd has something around the same as nvenc

Listen to this onlooker of people having crimes committed against them

for more money than a 1080 ti with the RTX 2080 you get

>less vram

>suboptimal RTX performance

>less money

with the radeon VII you atleast get

>similar ingame performance

>16gb superior HBM2 memory

>much more compute for productivity

and yes he is right AMD has more room to gain performance with their better compute but I wouldn't bet on it getting much better, but then again Nvidia is maxxed out with driver optimization so is there is even less chance they can get better

Literally just buy a 1920x is best CPU

AMD shill

AORUS shill

Enjoy me while I'm here, BANHAMMER INC