GPU not working

Mr_Argon

So I am building a mostly second hand/open box build. When I plugged my GPU (RX 480) into my motherboard (GA B75M D3H) it didn't output a display, however all the lights and fans turned on. But I've worked out that's most likely because it's an ex-mining card, therefore it has a mining BIOS on it. Anyway, I put my mum's GPU (an RX 460, verified to work) into it, and the same thing happened. Lights and fans on, no display, not even when I tested using the integrated GPU (I've got an i5 3570 btw). Could this mean my PCIE slot is at least partially dead? It's not fully dead, because it can still power the fans and lights on the cards. Yes, it's a PCIE 3.0 x16 slot, and yes, I made sure that the 8 pin power was plugged in. It all works fine without the GPU. I've also tried messing around with the BIOS boot settings, no luck there. 

There is usually a beep with a successful boot, when the fans and lights come on but no display, there is no beep

So when the card is in the slot, and you tried using onboard there is no display? Usually it will say there is a graphics card plugged in with no display cable.  Im sorry to ask but what input are you trying to use? 

• CPU
    A fat 92 core Pussy
  • Motherboard
    Oh just lay'r on that rock ye' thatll do it
  • RAM
    27.3GB DDR9
  • GPU
    Gods eye
  • Case
    Walmart Shopping Cart
  • Storage
    19tb usb flash drive with windows vista!
  • PSU
    potato wired up via outlet and two wires.
  • Display(s)
    2.1 inch 144hz tn panel
  • Cooling
    Magazine
  • Keyboard
    Dunno. Its beige
  • Mouse
    Beige
  • Sound
    Beige
  • Operating System
    Vista ya heard me

1 minute ago, FuckYourAdsLinus said:

So when the card is in the slot, and you tried using onboard there is no display? Usually it will say there is a graphics card plugged in with no display cable.  Im sorry to ask but what input are you trying to use? 

I'm using HDMI, although I have also tried DVI-D and VGA, both didn't work.

When the card is in the slot, there is no display through the card, or the integrated graphics. This is using a card that I can confirm works in another system

Take the card out and see if your integrated graphics are working.  It's odd that you're havin a problem like that.  If your motherboard is old, then it could be a damaged PCIe slot, so see if it works in another one, too.  Swappin parts help, if you have them on-hand for testing (which most people don't).

Primary

CPU:      i9-10900k 3.7-5.3GHz (10th gen)

GPU:      EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming 12gb

MB:         ASUS RoG Maximus XIII Hero (ATX)

RAM:      64gb (4x16) DDR4-3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ Silver/Black (CL16)

HD:         1x 8TB Corsair MP400 NVMe PCIe 3.0 (SSD)

2x 16TB Seagate Exos 7200rpm (HDD)

E-HD:     12TB WD

PSU:       EVGA 1000w G2, 80+ Gold (modular)

UPS:       900w CyberPower

Display:   ASUS 27” 1440p/270Hz IPS 0.5ms (XG27AQM)

Aorus 27" 1440p/165Hz IPS 1ms (FI27Q-P) iGPU

KeyB:      EVGA Z15 (wired)

Mouse:    Logitech G-502 Hero (400/600/800/1000)

Headset: JBL Quantum ONE Gaming Headset

Case:      Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh (ATX)

Other:     XB-1 Wireless Controller Adapter w/Controller

NPET H01 Gaming Mouse Bungee Cord Holder w/4 USB Ports

Gaming Computer Specs.pdf

1 minute ago, Taintedmind said:

Take the card out and see if your integrated graphics are working.  It's odd that you're havin a problem like that.  If your motherboard is old, then it could be a damaged PCIe slot, so see if it works in another one, too.  Swappin parts help, if you have them on-hand for testing (which most people don't).

The GPU works in another system, and the integrated graphics work when there is no card

Well im assuming your psu is sufficient enough to power the thing. Its more than likely the slot but i dont wanna say that for sure. But seeing as you dont get anything from onboard (which you should) when its plugged in, and the fans and lights are spinning up, the slot is definitely operating somewhat. I wpuld google on methods for how to inspect bad contact points in the slot.  If you have an x8 slot i would try that as well. Might narrow it down further. Also it could just straight up be a board problem where the slot isnt getting enough power for some unknown reason and causing it to behave that way. 

• CPU
    A fat 92 core Pussy
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    27.3GB DDR9
  • GPU
    Gods eye
  • Case
    Walmart Shopping Cart
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    2.1 inch 144hz tn panel
  • Cooling
    Magazine
  • Keyboard
    Dunno. Its beige
  • Mouse
    Beige
  • Sound
    Beige
  • Operating System
    Vista ya heard me

Try to DDU the drivers, then re-install the compatible ones for the current graphics card.  You can DC the computer from the internet after you've downloaded the DDU and updated drivers, so the system won't auto-install lower grade ones.

Primary

Just now, FuckYourAdsLinus said:

Well im assuming your psu is sufficient enough to power the thing. Its more than likely the slot but i dont wanna say that for sure. But seeing as you dont get anything from onboard (which you should) when its plugged in, and the fans and lights are spinning up, the slot is definitely operating somewhat. I wpuld google on methods for how to inspect bad contact points in the slot.  If you have an x8 slot i would try that as well. Might narrow it down further. Also it could just straight up be a board problem where the slot isnt getting enough power for some unknown reason and causing it to behave that way. 

My PSU should be fine, I'll test with another one. The only other slot I have is a x4 sadly

Ddu method might work but personally i doubt it. In the past ive plugged up a newer gpu into a system in which older drivers for a different card were installed. It still had a display and i was able to uninstall drivers and install the proper ones. Not sure how one wpuld go about it but definitely inspect the slot. Worth a shot. 

• CPU
    A fat 92 core Pussy
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    27.3GB DDR9
  • GPU
    Gods eye
  • Case
    Walmart Shopping Cart
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    2.1 inch 144hz tn panel
  • Cooling
    Magazine
  • Keyboard
    Dunno. Its beige
  • Mouse
    Beige
  • Sound
    Beige
  • Operating System
    Vista ya heard me

4 minutes ago, Taintedmind said:

Try to DDU the drivers, then re-install the compatible ones for the current graphics card.  You can DC the computer from the internet after you've downloaded the DDU and updated drivers, so the system won't auto-install lower grade ones.

It won't boot with the GPU installed, is it possible to install the drivers without the card in the system (as in the driver goes on to the computer storage)? It might actually be a diver issue, I completely forgot about them. I've installed the driver for the guaranteed working card on to my SSD now, time to see if its the drivers

1 minute ago, Mr_Argon said:

It won't boot with the GPU installed, is it possible to install the drivers without the card in the system (as in the driver goes on to the computer storage)? It might actually be a diver issue, I completely forgot about them. I've installed the driver for the guaranteed working card on to my SSD now, time to see if its the drivers

There shouldn't be an issue if you're usin the integrated graphics while doin the installs/updates.  I've done it prior and it'll lower the need to DC from the internet, since it won't need to download any graphics drivers from auto-detect not seein a graphics card.

Primary

The man above probably knows more than I do regarding drivers. But again im pretty sure the card will still output a display with generic drivers provided in windows 10. Also in my experience i wasnt able to install drivers without the card in the slot as the nvidia installer didnt detect the card. But im sure theres a way around it anf im sure the man above has a better answer than i do on how to do that. 

• CPU
    A fat 92 core Pussy
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    27.3GB DDR9
  • GPU
    Gods eye
  • Case
    Walmart Shopping Cart
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    2.1 inch 144hz tn panel
  • Cooling
    Magazine
  • Keyboard
    Dunno. Its beige
  • Mouse
    Beige
  • Sound
    Beige
  • Operating System
    Vista ya heard me

5 minutes ago, Taintedmind said:

There shouldn't be an issue if you're usin the integrated graphics while doin the installs/updates.  I've done it prior and it'll lower the need to DC from the internet, since it won't need to download any graphics drivers from auto-detect not seein a graphics card.

I tried to install the AMD Drivers, but they didn't install correctly, as it didn't detect any AMD hardware in my system (I had to take the card out to get a display). Would it be possible to just put the card in while the system is running? I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to be done

Just now, Mr_Argon said:

I tried to install the AMD Drivers, but they didn't install correctly, as it didn't detect any AMD hardware in my system (I had to take the card out to get a display). Would it be possible to just put the card in while the system is running? I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to be done

Do not remove and/or add hardware while the system is on like that.  The reward isn't worth the risk, assumin you could get it to even operate.

Primary

There're YouTube videos and AMD support that can assist you w/installin the drivers, but likely there's somethin wrong on the hardware side of things, since it's actually blockin your Integrated Graphics from even working.  I've had dead Display Ports on my first GTX 1070 TI, but the Integrated Graphics still worked.  It's better to get help through a tutorial to show you while it's explained, than to look at text and hope for the best.  AMD also has forums and tech support that'll see what they can do.  It could be somethin on your hardware that's blockin the drivers or somethin physical on the card that could be damaged internally and/or on the PCIe port.

You could try DDU the drivers, then install the graphics card and see if the generic drivers will allow you to have some sort of projection, but it's doubtful since I've never heard of integrated graphics bein blocked w/out the processor actually bein damaged somehow.

Primary

What revision is your motherboard, if you don't mind me asking? (1.0, 1.1, 1.2)

19 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

What revision is your motherboard, if you don't mind me asking? (1.0, 1.1, 1.2)

You need to connect to a display out on the motherboard and boot into the BIOS. Once there go to the section labeled "Peripherals". The section should look like this;

IMG_1097.PNG.da7cbd9cab34fc2453be1ec5ca52309f.PNG

Go to "Init Display First", as that controls the setting of the display at initial boot. There will be four different settings as such;

IMG_1098.PNG.1e60fc395f35a7e9b0ab8fe68b7f8099.PNG

Make sure it is not on "iGFX", try "AUTO" if it is already on "AUTO" (should be the default) then try "PEG".

At this point you can reinstall the card and try rebooting with your display plugged into your graphics card.

For more detail on your motherboard here is the link to the newest manual. http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-b75m-d3h_e.pdf

7 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

You need to connect to a display out on the motherboard and boot into the BIOS. Once there go to the section labeled "Peripherals". The section should look like this;

Go to "Init Display First", as that controls the setting of the display at initial boot. There will be four different settings as such;

Make sure it is not on "iGFX", try "AUTO" if it is already on "AUTO" (should be the default) then try "PEG".

At this point you can reinstall the card and try rebooting with your display plugged into your graphics card.

For more detail on your motherboard here is the link to the newest manual. http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-b75m-d3h_e.pdf

I think I've tried that, but I'll try again

13 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Just retested, none of the combinations work. When there is no GPU present in the system and I'm running off of the integrated graphics (which works but only by itself) the fans go to max for a second, there is a beep, then the screen comes on. When there is a GPU in the system, no matter what GPU or setting I use, there is no beep after the fans go to max

11 minutes ago, Mr_Argon said:

Just retested, none of the combinations work. When there is no GPU present in the system and I'm running off of the integrated graphics (which works but only by itself) the fans go to max for a second, there is a beep, then the screen comes on. When there is a GPU in the system, no matter what GPU or setting I use, there is no beep after the fans go to max

If it's not beeping at boot with the card in, it's failing to initialize. Do you have any other PCIe devices you could test boot with?

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

If it's not beeping at boot with the card in, it's failing to initialize. Do you have any other PCIe devices you could test boot with?

Only GPU's, one of which might not have the right BIOS on it (ex mining card) and the other one works perfectly fine, that's the one I'm using

Just now, Mr_Argon said:

Only GPU's, one of which might not have the right BIOS on it (ex mining card) and the other one works perfectly fine, that's the one I'm using

Oh so it's only that card specifically that is causing the system to not boot? I thought you said you tried a RX 560 and ended up with the same results as the 580. I must have misunderstood, my apologies.

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

Oh so it's only that card specifically that is causing the system to not boot? I thought you said you tried a RX 560 and ended up with the same results as the 580. I must have misunderstood, my apologies.

I am using the RX 460 which I know works (I tested in another system). The RX 480 I don't know about, I'm about to test it in that other system

3 minutes ago, Mr_Argon said:

I am using the RX 460 which I know works (I tested in another system). The RX 480 I don't know about, I'm about to test it in that other system

So the RX 460 is allowing the system to boot? If so, that definitely puts the conflict back onto the RX 480. If the RX 480 is verified to work in another system then we are back to square one lol.