Laptop for a CS degree and finishing high school.

I'm not really too sure about what classes I'm going to be taking - but I do not think I'll be doing anything too intensive - my brother is doing fine with a 13' 2013 MBA.

My budget is flexible, but ~1700 is the VERY most I'm willing to spend.

Right now my top choice is the SL2, but I might wait for the SL3.

I am also looking at a macbook - don't know which, don't like their keyboards, but making ios apps would be cool, I have an iPhone and Apple watch.

Lenovo x390

LG gram

kinda the matebook X - don't want to deal with their customer service

My requirements

Good battery life - enough

Decent keyboard - this is where the mac loses points, but I'm willing to tolerate it.

Good screen - where the Lenovo loses points

Decent price - I don't particularly want to spend a ton of money, but can if I need to.

Reliability - I want to use this laptop for at least 4 years, the first two will be lighter usage, I am using it for my last 2 years of high school, will probably get a new laptop for my last two years of college.

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

Comic sans is the worst font

Check out my monitor overclocking guide

If you are already deep in the apple ecosystem (applewatch and phone) then a macbook would be really cool, just because of how well it is integrated with these 2.

But im not sure if the recents macbooks would last 4 years, probably not, especially in normal use.

I would get the Thinkpad, that should last you long.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Where are you from? 1700 in USD?

14 minutes ago, lavablade02 said:

SL2

Why Surface. Anticonsumer product

14 minutes ago, lavablade02 said:

Good battery life - enough

Decent keyboard - this is where the mac loses points, but I'm willing to tolerate it.

Good screen - where the Lenovo loses points

Decent price - I don't particularly want to spend a ton of money, but can if I need to.

Reliability

Min how many hours of battery life?

Define good screen?

Any preference on weight and display size? Mind non-upgradable RAM? If you want best reliability, premium business laptop / workstation is the option

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

11 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Where are you from? 1700 in USD?

Why Surface. Anticonsumer product

Min how many hours of battery life?

Define good screen?

Any preference on weight and display size? Mind non-upgradable RAM? If you want best reliability, premium business laptop / workstation is the option

I really like the keyboards and screen on the surface - Alex agrees with me on the keyboard.

1700 USD

Whatever would be the minimum recommended for college - probably 6 or 7 hours.

I like lighter laptops, but as long as it is under 4 pounds it should be fine. 13 inch is preferable, but I don't really mind. I do not care if the RAM is soldered. I also plan on using this laptop for watching netflix and youtube a bunch, so I would like something with good colors, and just makes you want to look at it. That is my main issue with business laptops, they typically do not have great screens.

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

23 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

If you are already deep in the apple ecosystem (applewatch and phone) then a macbook would be really cool, just because of how well it is integrated with these 2.

But im not sure if the recents macbooks would last 4 years, probably not, especially in normal use.

I would get the Thinkpad, that should last you long.

So would you recommend waiting a year or two to buy a laptop, and just put up with a chromebook for school and not having a laptop for home use?

1 minute ago, lavablade02 said:

So would you recommend waiting a year or two to buy a laptop

If you can, definitely. 

Because then you could get the 7nm ryzen laptops next year, those should have really good battery life and performance (pure speculation).

I had to use chromebooks in my previous school, and those were fine.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

7 minutes ago, lavablade02 said:

That is my main issue with business laptops, they typically do not have great screens.

Many of them do have high sRGB display now

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128