C49RG9 - Freesync at 120Hz with 10-bit?

LapFox

Hey Guys, I'm very close to buying this absolute beast of a monitor.

However, I've crunched some numbers and realised that a single DisplayPort 1.4 connection won't be enough to run the full 5120x1440 @ 120Hz with 10-bit colour enabled. That explains why it has two DisplayPort inputs, I guess.

Can Freesync be enabled when the monitor is using two inputs? I was thinking the monitor would be split up into two 2560x1440 120Hz 10-bit panels.

Cheers.

| CPU: Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.26v | GPU: AMD R9 290X @ 1090MHz |

| RAM: 2x4GB Samsung Green @ 2133MHz OC |

| PSU: Corsair RM850 | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | 

Not an expert, but I remember something like this in an LTT video where Linus looked at that 4k monitor that did 120HZ and it needed two Displayport inputs to function.

If my answer got you to your solution make sure to 'Mark Resolved!
( / . _ . / )

54 minutes ago, GabeThePCHelper said:

Not an expert, but I remember something like this in an LTT video where Linus looked at that 4k monitor that did 120HZ and it needed two Displayport inputs to function.

I call BS,  No need to use 2 cables.  A single DP 1.4 will run it just like a 4k 27" monitor at 144hz needs one DP cable.  Also note the resolution is not 4k, its more like 2.5k or 3k,  The vertical on the monitor is short plus the resolution blows.  Also your going to get black bars on videos and gaming below that monster resolution which no card can really handle.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

2 hours ago, LapFox said:

Hey Guys, I'm very close to buying this absolute beast of a monitor.

However, I've crunched some numbers and realised that a single DisplayPort 1.4 connection won't be enough to run the full 5120x1440 @ 120Hz with 10-bit colour enabled. That explains why it has two DisplayPort inputs, I guess.

Can Freesync be enabled when the monitor is using two inputs? I was thinking the monitor would be split up into two 2560x1440 120Hz 10-bit panels.

Cheers.

Monitors in the past that have used dual cable solutions were not able to use FreeSync while running dual cable. It is likely this monitor is the same.

1 hour ago, Turtle Rig said:

I call BS,  No need to use 2 cables.  A single DP 1.4 will run it just like a 4k 27" monitor at 144hz needs one DP cable.  Also note the resolution is not 4k, its more like 2.5k or 3k,  The vertical on the monitor is short plus the resolution blows.  Also your going to get black bars on videos and gaming below that monster resolution which no card can really handle.

4K 144 Hz monitors accomplish this by using chroma subsampling, which is undesirable. If this monitor operates the same way, that would be bad.

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

Monitors in the past that have used dual cable solutions were not able to use FreeSync while running dual cable. It is likely this monitor is the same.

Such a shame. What's the point of adding a great feature when you can only use it when sacrificing another monitor feature. Looks like I'll be able to use a single cable solution if I forgo the 10-bit colour, according to this calculator, assuming I do not use DSC.

With DSC enabled I would expect to use a single cable, but I'm yet to see the true visible impact (if any) when it is enabled. I'll find out when I buy the monitor.

3 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

Two cables is required for 4K 120Hz with 10-bit colour. 8-bit you're correct. Potentially there's some additional overhead for HDR data, I can't find a direct source which says if that data is included with the regular colour space data or if it is an additional stream.

Also I absolutely do not intend to use this monitor for full-screen gaming. My intention is to play games at 3440x1440 windowed mode with two thinner screens to the sides. I only play World of Warcraft and maybe the occasional venture into Skyrim.

I do still require a new GPU to drive this display at full speed. My current R9 290X has a single Displayport 1.2 output, and a single HDMI 1.4 output. So I'll use the monitor in 60Hz mode until I feel like upgrading.

| CPU: Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.26v | GPU: AMD R9 290X @ 1090MHz |

| RAM: 2x4GB Samsung Green @ 2133MHz OC |

| PSU: Corsair RM850 | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 |