Car Audio- Question

Missouri_Sniper

Hi everyone!

I’m trying to upgrade the sound system in my truck. I have a descent pair of aftermarket speakers pushing 150 watts max per speaker. But my stereo can only output 50 watts to each one of the 4 channels. I’d like to find an amp where I can hook up the speakers and a subwoofer to one amp, and still get the most performance out of my speakers and sub. If it’s better I can go with a separate sub with a built in amp too.  Any suggestions? Also on a budget.

What’s the rms of the speakers? You might not need one. Max is the wattage when you turn up the music for a short period of time, for instance. It’s not good for the speakers to keep them at their max wattage longer than that.

Kicker and Rockford Fosgate has nice 5-channel amps that would be fine for you to use. Kenwood might be a cheaper alternative.

16 minutes ago, floofer said:

What’s the rms of the speakers? You might not need one. Max is the wattage when you turn up the music for a short period of time, for instance. It’s not good for the speakers to keep them at their max wattage longer than that.

Kicker and Rockford Fosgate has nice 5-channel amps that would be fine for you to use. Kenwood might be a cheaper alternative.

They’re 75 watts rms

10 minutes ago, Missouri_Sniper said:

They’re 75 watts rms

That would be alright. You need to find a 5-channel amp with at least the wattage to run both your speakers and subwoofer at their wattage. That’s 300w + your subwoofer rms. 

An R600X5 would be my recommendation, but there are brands other than RF. Dont go for anything cheap and nasty like Fusion.

1 hour ago, Missouri_Sniper said:

They’re 75 watt rms.

What is the impedance rating of your speakers and sub? As you need to make sure you don't overdrive them.