Mac user returning to the Master Race

How's it going everybody?, I'm planning on building a new rig soon-ish and since I've been out of the game for a little over a year I would appreciate some tips, advice and critique to this build I put together. I'll be using it for gaming and occasional video editing.

I live in Switzerland and the website I put all these parts together is Alternate. There are better stores in Germany but currency conversion and import tax would bust my budget. Also, I do not have a LAN port in my room so WIFI is a must.

Parts:

• Mainboard ASUS TUF Z390-Plus Gaming (WiFi)
  • CPU i7-8700k
  • CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A
  • RAM 16gb G.Skill 3000 MHz
  • GPU MSI RTX 2070 GAMING 8G
  • Case NZXT H500
  • PSU be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W
  • Storage Corsair MP510 480GB M.2
  • Case Fans Alpenföhn Wing Boost 3 (Set of 3)

Price: 1678,40 CHF

I don't want to go over 1750 CHF for the complete build as I also want to purchase a 144hz WQHD monitor somewhere down the line.

I have my old Samsung SSD and a Seagate HDD for further storage.

I also don't quite understand the whole "A-Chip" thing on RTX cards, any clarification on that would be much appreciated.

Here's a link to the build, feel free to swap out different parts for better ones. 

Cheers

9 minutes ago, Krebsmensch said:

How's it going everybody?, I'm planning on building a new rig soon-ish and since I've been out of the game for a little over a year I would appreciate some tips, advice and critique to this build I put together. I'll be using it for gaming and occasional video editing.

I live in Switzerland and the website I put all these parts together is Alternate. There are better stores in Germany but currency conversion and import tax would bust my budget. Also, I do not have a LAN port in my room so WIFI is a must.

Parts:

• CPU i7-8700k
  • Case NZXT H500

I don't want to go over 1750 CHF for the complete build as I also want to purchase a 144hz WQHD monitor somewhere down the line.

I have my old Samsung SSD and a Seagate HDD for further storage.

I also don't quite understand the whole "A-Chip" thing on RTX cards, any clarification on that would be much appreciated.

Here's a link to the build, feel free to swap out different parts for better ones. 

Cheers

Nice build! Some notes to the part choices:

Cooler: You may find a savings in the Dark Rock Pro 4. Looks much better too. (not a gross brown.)

GPU: 2070 is great, you may find comparable performance at a lower cost in the Vega 64

PSU: Pure Power is lower/mid end for Be Quiet! You'll want more out of the PSU to keep your build happy. (Straight Power 11 is their high/mid range. Terrible naming standard.) You could check out Corsair RMx series or BitFenix Gold, usually really well priced and good units! 

Case/Fans: I like this case a lot. Note it comes with 2 exhausts, one on top and one in rear. The front is empty and takes either 2x120mm or 2x140mm. (both included are 120mm.)

Thats a terrible motherboard. Get either a Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi, Aorus Ultra, or Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

The A-chip is basically a binned  chip, think of it as taking the top 25-50%, and charging a premium.

also mugen 5 is basically a U14s/U12A for a lot less, and looks better

perhaps different nvme,

I'll post an updated list!.

oh, and I prefer the meshify C

52 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Nice build! Some notes to the part choices:

Cooler: You may find a savings in the Dark Rock Pro 4. Looks much better too. (not a gross brown.)

GPU: 2070 is great, you may find comparable performance at a lower cost in the Vega 64

PSU: Pure Power is lower/mid end for Be Quiet! You'll want more out of the PSU to keep your build happy. (Straight Power 11 is their high/mid range. Terrible naming standard.) You could check out Corsair RMx series or BitFenix Gold, usually really well priced and good units! 

Case/Fans: I like this case a lot. Note it comes with 2 exhausts, one on top and one in rear. The front is empty and takes either 2x120mm or 2x140mm. (both included are 120mm.)

Thank you, Trevb0t! I recently saw the video on LTT where they showed how the Noctua NH-U12A out-performed an AIO so I just slammed that into the build. I'll take a look at the dark rock pro 4, I don't care too much for the brown noctua fans but i can appreciate saving a buck or two. I'm not deadset on the NZXT case but thanks for the heads-up on the included case fans.
Ugh, yeah the naming scheme on be quiet! PSUs definitely tricked me, thanks for that! 

19 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Thats a terrible motherboard. Get either a Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi, Aorus Ultra, or Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

The A-chip is basically a binned  chip, think of it as taking the top 25-50%, and charging a premium.

also mugen 5 is basically a U14s/U12A for a lot less, and looks better

perhaps different nvme,

I'll post an updated list!.

oh, and I prefer the meshify C

Could you explain why the motherboard sucks? The z390 gaming pro carbon costs a lot more than what I was planning on spending for the Mainboard.

Now that you mention it, I kinda dig the meshify C more.

Thanks!

Also, do you think it's worth choosing the i7-9700k over the 8700k?

41 minutes ago, Krebsmensch said:

Thank you, Trevb0t! I recently saw the video on LTT where they showed how the Noctua NH-U12A out-performed an AIO so I just slammed that into the build. I'll take a look at the dark rock pro 4, I don't care too much for the brown noctua fans but i can appreciate saving a buck or two. I'm not deadset on the NZXT case but thanks for the heads-up on the included case fans.
Ugh, yeah the naming scheme on be quiet! PSUs definitely tricked me, thanks for that! 

Could you explain why the motherboard sucks? The z390 gaming pro carbon costs a lot more than what I was planning on spending for the Mainboard.

Now that you mention it, I kinda dig the meshify C more.

Thanks!

Ok, The ASUS TUF Z390 only has a 4 phase, made to look like an  8 phase, and has bad cooling 

The gaming pro carbon has a 10 phase, which is a 5 phase that is doubled

The gaming edge AC has a 10 phase, which is a doubled 5 phase

the aorus pro wifi has a 12 phase, which is a 6 phase that is doubler

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/asus-tuf-z390-plus-gaming

also, is missing on some features that the others have

if the gaming pro carbon is a bit too expensive, the aorus pro wifi or the gaming edge ac should be cheaper.

image.png.f893bac3162171f96ed4a3a537877506.png

it also draws a lot more power, which means higher energy bills.

image.png.524e3ce63736c3c7f8e38b0144e8bc96.png

1 hour ago, Krebsmensch said:

There are plenty of air coolers in the same category as that Noctua. The Dark Rock is similar, looks better, costs less. It's very quiet for its capacity too!

With the fat boy CPU coolers, it can limit your case options. I've been looking heavily at the Meshify series. I think this one looks really sexy, and it fits the cooler.

As for the 9700K, I wouldn't. It's barely an improvement if at all. In fact if gaming is your goal, the i5 8600K doesn't show much FPS loss at all to the 8700k. I'll tag you in a recent post with some good info in it by @jerubedo.

I'll also make a few alterations to a build I did for the same post, since it is mostly relevant to your build!

Edit: I lied, I will just bring it to you!

No one else has mentioned it... so I will.

If you wait a little bit longer (announce May or June: release most likely July), AMD Zen 2 is coming out. Rumour is that the IPC will be similar to Skylake, which Intel still uses to this day. 

Considering the 8-core R7 2700 is already a great price, I would wait.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

31 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Thanks so much buddy. I montioned briefly in my inital post that my budget is 1750 CHF (1720 USD). I'm absolutely convinced on the Meshify case - looks way better than the NZXT H500. I'll play around with the parts list you linked and see what prices are like for me in Switzerland.

3 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

No one else has mentioned it... so I will.

If you wait a little bit longer (announce May or June: release most likely July), AMD Zen 2 is coming out. Rumour is that the IPC will be similar to Skylake, which Intel still uses to this day. 

Considering the 8-core R7 2700 is already a great price, I would wait.

I'll be waiting atleast 2-3 months anyway, still need to save up enough money to get things rolling. If Zen 2 lives up to the rumours then that would be sick! I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks a bunch to everybody for all the feedback!

20 minutes ago, Krebsmensch said:

Thanks so much buddy. I montioned briefly in my inital post that my budget is 1750 CHF (1720 USD). I'm absolutely convinced on the Meshify case - looks way better than the NZXT H500. I'll play around with the parts list you linked and see what prices are like for me in Switzerland.

I'll be waiting atleast 2-3 months anyway, still need to save up enough money to get things rolling. If Zen 2 lives up to the rumours then that would be sick! I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks a bunch to everybody for all the feedback!

No worries! I'm pretty sure in terms of budget value, dropping the 2080 down to a 2070 or Vega 64 would pretty much put you at that price point. That said the 8600K and a slight downgrade on the board (since the i5 requires a bit less juice than the i7) would drop the cost quite a bit, and you'd still be getting smooth frames on 1440p.

5 hours ago, Krebsmensch said:

Parts:

• CPU i7-8700k
  • Case NZXT H500

Grüzi (though I'm a bit away).

Why those?

VEGA56 and 64 is really cheap right now and not that much worse. A V56 with a custom cooler is right now available for 270€, the 64 is almost 100€ more. Something to think about and look if you can get something similar over the alps.

As for the Screen:
You should look into a Freesync Screen instead, one with a nice variety in refresh rate.

CPU and Board: Think about Ryzen and that in a couple of weeks the next thing might be released that might be pretty neat. ANd its possible to get the next 4k series and put it in a Board you can buy right now.

PS: I'd look into Straight Power 11 as well.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

PS: I'd look into Straight Power 11 as well.

I am 17030644 but I created a new account

which electronics forums do you recomend?

9 minutes ago, KEIN NEIN said:

I am 17030644 but I created a new account

which electronics forums do you recomend?

EEVBLog?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

EEVBLog?

I see thanks, is that the only one?