No video signal when playing games

MoonMoon

I first posted this in "Graphics Cards", but only got one reply that didn't help.

So recently I upgraded my PC from no GPU to RTX 2080, but when I play games (lately Assassin's Creed Origins), sometimes I suddenly get no signal on my display (HDMI) and the GPU fans go full power.

CPU temps rarely go above 40°C

GPU temps rarely go above 60°

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K (10% OC)

MOBO: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 2400MHz 8GB*2 (16GB)

GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080

PSU: SeaSonic G-650 650W

Fans: 3*Corsair AF120 (front intake)

1*Corsair SP120 (up outtake)

1*Corsair ML120 (back outtake)

Storage:

1*HDD WD 1TB 7200RPM (internal)

1*HDD WD 2TB 7200RPM (internal)

1*Transcend SSD 128GB SATA III (internal)

Peripherals:

2*HDD WD Elements 2TB USB 3.0

1*Bluetooth 4.0 USB Dongle Adapter

Display:

1*Samsung SMT27A550

I think that's enough info.

Why I wrote about fans and HDDs? In case someone says my PSU don't have enough power for all.

Try to make this happen again pay attention to the exact time it happens, then look in event viewer. Windows Logs > Application, see if its the game or driver will sometimes show up there. If there is nothing look at windows logs > system.

You're looking for red marked Errors around the time you lost video.

21 hours ago, Labeled said:

Try to make this happen again pay attention to the exact time it happens, then look in event viewer. Windows Logs > Application, see if its the game or driver will sometimes show up there. If there is nothing look at windows logs > system.

You're looking for red marked Errors around the time you lost video.

When it happens, the only fix is forcing shutdown by holding the power button.

10 hours ago, CoopNubbit said:

Reseat your GPU. Reinstall your drivers.

Already done it.

2 hours ago, MoonMoon said:

When it happens, the only fix is forcing shutdown by holding the power button.

event viewer logs ALL events, after it happens pay attention to what time it is, after you restart open event viewer and scroll down to the time that it happened.

5 hours ago, Labeled said:

event viewer logs ALL events, after it happens pay attention to what time it is, after you restart open event viewer and scroll down to the time that it happened.

Thanks I'll check next time.

On 5/3/2019 at 10:45 AM, Labeled said:

So I checked the event viewer, and i can only find 2 errors right after the problem happened, one error is kernel-Power, after I rebooted the PC:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

The other I can't identify, and it happened 4 seconds after the above.

Kernel event tracing:

Error setting traits on Provider {8444a4fb-d8d3-4f38-84f8-89960a1ef12f}. Error: 0xC0000001

I can't find any event at the time of the problem.

and you looked under both application and system?

That's super baffling, it's rare that an error doesn't end up in there.

You said you re-seated the gpu, did you try re-seating the PCI-E power in both the gpu and psu as well?

If you've done all that I think the only real thing you can do now is just get a warranty replacement. If event viewer isn't showing an error, the card isn't reporting any fault other than losing display signal. So other than getting a replacement I don't know what to tell you. It should still be under warranty, it's usually 2 or 3 years for nvidia cards. Sorry I don't have anything else, I know how frustrating it can be when there's no fix I had to get a warranty replacement for my 2080Ti over the holidays.

11 hours ago, Labeled said:

and you looked under both application and system?

That's super baffling, it's rare that an error doesn't end up in there.

You said you re-seated the gpu, did you try re-seating the PCI-E power in both the gpu and psu as well?

If you've done all that I think the only real thing you can do now is just get a warranty replacement. If event viewer isn't showing an error, the card isn't reporting any fault other than losing display signal. So other than getting a replacement I don't know what to tell you. It should still be under warranty, it's usually 2 or 3 years for nvidia cards. Sorry I don't have anything else, I know how frustrating it can be when there's no fix I had to get a warranty replacement for my 2080Ti over the holidays.

Thanks either way.