Convert Audio Files

Go to solution Solved by KenTees,

Highly recommend FFMPEG.

If you aren't too comfortable with command line, you can also use LAME or dBpoweramp.

Is there a way to convert audio file formats, for example from .flac to .mp3, without having to visit any suspicious website? I don't know, maybe some sort of open source freeware or anything similar.

Thanks in advance.

Highly recommend FFMPEG.

If you aren't too comfortable with command line, you can also use LAME or dBpoweramp.

@KayTees' Little Brother

My PC: Stepping Stones (2019)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B360 HD3

RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB (2x4) Black DDR4-2133GHz

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB

Case: Thermaltake View 27
Storage: SanDisk 2.5" 128GB SSD | Western Digital 3.5" 1TB HDD

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Displays: LG 27GL63TBenQ GW2270 21.5"

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ Cherry MX Red Switches & 2010 Razer Blackwidow w/ Cherry MX Blues Switches

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Headset: V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 LTSC

Last updated: August 10, 2020 at 2:10 PM

Mobile Devices:

Spoiler

Phone: OnePlus 7 Pro Almond (OnePlus GM1917)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" (SM-T330NU)

Previous Phones: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910W8), OnePlus 5T (OnePlus A5010), OnePlus 6 (OnePlus A6003)

PCPartsPicker:

Spoiler

PCPartsPicker Link: http://tiny.cc/KenTees

Last updated: April 23, 2019 at 2:00 PM

9 minutes ago, KenTees said:

Highly recommend FFMPEG.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Any details you think I should know?

5 hours ago, KenTees said:

Highly recommend FFMPEG.

I ended up just using the first one I tried, dBpoweramp, it worked pretty well. It has a lot of customization options. It's a free trial though. Thank you.

For something user friendly, try LameXP (freeware, like Handbrake is for videos)

Also, foobar2000 (audio player, freeware) can convert between formats. Just select files in playlist, right click and hit convert then optionally select quality settings.

You may have to download the lame encoder from here  http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php and extract contents in a folder and first time you try to convert an audio file, foobar will ask you to point to that folder so that it can use the encoder inside.

If you just want smaller files for your own use, you should consider Opus audio, free like FLAC and has better quality than MP3 or AAC

LameXP supports Opus. foobar2000 can also encode that, but may have to download and extract the encoder and tell foobar to use it when you convert to opus the first time. Encoder is here (opus-tools) : http://opus-codec.org/downloads/

15 hours ago, mariushm said:

If you just want smaller files for your own use, you should consider Opus audio, free like FLAC and has better quality than MP3 or AAC

LameXP supports Opus. foobar2000 can also encode that, but may have to download and extract the encoder and tell foobar to use it when you convert to opus the first time. Encoder is here (opus-tools) : http://opus-codec.org/downloads/

I think I'll stick to .mp3 for now. My father has an old Pioneer car stereo and I don't know if it can play .flac or Opus, maybe in the future I'll give it a try- Thank you for the info ?

I bought XRECODE a while ago. Using ffmpeg from the command line is really annoying.

Write in C.