Looking for help with remote storage access.

I'm looking for help with how I could access media on my computer from a remote connection. Currently I'm using SMB on Windows 10 to stream to my Android. But as it would have it, I'm locked to my local network.

My friends can use a program called ZeroTier One to simulate a LAN connection and stream from my PC, and the app exists on Android, but it doesn't appear to work as expected. At least not with a 4G connection, and I already run a VPN on my phone so it just gets in the way.

I'm wondering if there are any free options around?

To access your home from internet you need a Static IP Address.

If you don't have static ip address (you can ask about this with your ISP), you can get a free dynamic ip like duckdns.

After that you need to make a port forwarding in your router.

Let say you want to share with samba, you need to forward port 139 or 445 to your PC at home.

In your phone you can access it by entering the ip address or the address given by duckdns.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

But if you find that tedious, you can use a service like teamviewer file sharing.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

59 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Let say you want to share with samba, you need to forward port 139 or 445 to your PC at home.

Opening those ports to the world is a nice way of getting your data stolen.

You could set up owncloud/nextcloud to share.

8 hours ago, Acedia said:

Opening those ports to the world is a nice way of getting your data stolen.

You could set up owncloud/nextcloud to share.

Is the idea of those to host cloud storage from my computer?

17 hours ago, ShikuTeshi said:

Is the idea of those to host cloud storage from my computer?

Yes, IIRC nextcloud even offers official apps and owncloud has inofficial apps. You could use that to sync it to the device easily.