Upgrading My Car Audio - Questions

Go to solution Solved by emosun,

I can tell you right now that a 93 prizms trunk wasn't design to be a speaker box so if you try to put free air subs in it will sound like the trunk of a 93 prizm 

I own a 1993 Geo Prizm that has 5.25" speakers in the front with 6.5"'s on the rear deck. Currently the front ones are stock while the rears are some used speakers my friends gave me. I'm already pretty sure I'll go with some JL's that're designed to work in small spaces for the front door panels due to the limited room. However those on the rear deck are in sort of a problem spot. Unless I go with some free air subs since there's no rear enclosure, the current speakers just hang above the trunk on the stock mounting system. I wont get the best sound out of anything else & free air subs are sort of expensive. Although I don't mind saving for that, what I'm wondering is this. Would it sound better if I had my friends help me make a small enclosure to hang below the rear deck speakers, separating them from the trunk space or to save time & effort just spend the money on some free air subs? If I went that route I'd just get JL's all around to work with the smaller spaces. I'm pretty dead set on maintaining a stock look for the interior of my car so simply sticking a decent Sub from Skar in a MDF box is out. I'd like to know all your opinions on my dilemma & goals. One reason why I'm kind of leaning towards simply making an enclosure to keep my rear deck speakers separate from the trunk is protection. I regularly throw long sharp objects in my trunk & drive like I'm in GTA 5. So I'd really not want something to damage any new speakers just hanging there with their backs exposed.

*UPDATE: No longer will I consider using open air speakers, just searching for some good 6.5" subs which will work okay in a small, attached, rear deck enclosure friends & I create for $60 or less like these.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

I can tell you right now that a 93 prizms trunk wasn't design to be a speaker box so if you try to put free air subs in it will sound like the trunk of a 93 prizm 

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

Okay thanks, I'll proceed with the idea to create an enclosure to separate the rear deck subs from the trunk. Finding subs that fit though are proving to be a challenge. The JL TWI which are designed for small spaces only come in a 10" at least & they're way more expensive than I can afford even in the long run anyway. Skar has some that fit but I don't know how well they'll perform in a small enclosure. I can not carry a sub box in my trunk or back seat though, I need to maintain all currently available seat & cargo space.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

just buy two 6.5 in subs

btw are people still putting subs in their car? it's bringing horrible flashbacks of 2004 when everyone in middle school thought subs were so cool. lol

Just now, emosun said:

just buy two 6.5 in subs

btw are people still putting subs in their car? it's bringing horrible flashbacks of 2004 when everyone in middle school thought subs were so cool. lol

Well I need some bass, I know using full range all around can work but I don't want any distortion.

just plug your one airpod in, cuz the other one is probably lost anyway :P :D