Getting 144hz on GN246HL with RTX 2060

anil72

So i have GN246HL monitor and i bought the RTX 2060 few days ago. I just finished installing the card and drivers and now i noticed that i cant set monitor to 144hz on HDMI.

Now i am a bit worried, the monitor does not have a display port connector and the graphics card does not have a DVI connector.

Will a display port to DVI converter work?

Please help me guys.

What does the refresh rate drop down box in the Nvidia Control Panel > Change resolution show as options? Take a screenshot.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, anil72 said:

So i have GN246HL monitor and i bought the RTX 2060 few days ago. I just finished installing the card and drivers and now i noticed that i cant set monitor to 144hz on HDMI.

Now i am a bit worried, the monitor does not have a display port connector and the graphics card does not have a DVI connector.

Will a display port to DVI converter work?

Please help me guys.

This monitor only does 144hz through the DVI connector, you will need an active DP to DVI adapter to get full 144hz on this monitor.

EDIT:

Did the monitor come with DP to DVI-D? or HDMI to DVI-D adapter? If so you will just need a DVI-D Cable. 

Its crazy that any manufacture would put 144hz though such an old connector.

Edited by ddennis002

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What does the refresh rate drop down box in the Nvidia Control Panel > Change resolution show as options? Take a screenshot.

ss.thumb.png.748e152d61fdf29ca76970bc02302fdf.png

The maximum is 60Hz.

9 minutes ago, ddennis002 said:

This monitor only does 144hz through the DVI connector, you will need an active DP to DVI adapter to get full 144hz on this monitor.

EDIT:

Did the monitor come with DP to DVI-D? or HDMI to DVI-D adapter? If so you will just need a DVI-D Cable. 

Its crazy that any manufacture would put 144hz though such an old connector.

No, it did not came with any adapter. 

3 minutes ago, anil72 said:

No, it did not came with any adapter. 

Yea, your going to need one, I'm actually not sure if rtx card have native DP++ which will allow for a passive cable that @wojtepanik posted. If DP++ is supported on rtx this allows you to push a DVI signal across a passive cable. If the card doesn't support DP++ an Active Cable or Active adapter will be needed.

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

Network

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

It looks like only an active adapter will work, but they are so expensive. I will rather sell my current monitor and buy an new one.

Just now, anil72 said:

It looks like only an active adapter will work, but they are so expensive. I will rather sell my current monitor and buy an new one.

I was trying to find more information but nothing concrete, I'm guessing you would have to contact your card manufacture to see if they support DP++ or if they scraped it from the reference design. Either way it still blows my mind that a manufacture would only support 144hz on such an old connector BOOOO!!

Internet Connection

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

Network

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

27 minutes ago, ddennis002 said:

I was trying to find more information but nothing concrete, I'm guessing you would have to contact your card manufacture to see if they support DP++ or if they scraped it from the reference design. Either way it still blows my mind that a manufacture would only support 144hz on such an old connector BOOOO!!

From what i have searched, a passive connector converts to single link DVI. For dual link you need active converter. 

By the way this monitor also has a VGA connector. 

3 hours ago, anil72 said:

From what i have searched, a passive connector converts to single link DVI. For dual link you need active converter. 

Yes if the DP doesn't support DP++ it will output a single link DVI. But if the card supports DP++ then you can use passive cable because the card is acting like a active adapter already outputting a dual mode DVI Signal.

Internet Connection

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

Network

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

3 hours ago, ddennis002 said:

Yes if the DP doesn't support DP++ it will output a single link DVI. But if the card supports DP++ then you can use passive cable because the card is acting like a active adapter already outputting a dual mode DVI Signal.

No, DP++ does not allow output of Dual-Link signals. DP++ is for single-link only. It is not possible to transmit dual-link signals using the DP++ method. The signal must be sent as a native DisplayPort signal and then converted to dual-link DVI by an external device. DP++ support is irrelevant for this.

14 hours ago, Glenwing said:

No, DP++ does not allow output of Dual-Link signals. DP++ is for single-link only. It is not possible to transmit dual-link signals using the DP++ method. The signal must be sent as a native DisplayPort signal and then converted to dual-link DVI by an external device. DP++ support is irrelevant for this.

Thank you for confirming. Looks like I will have to buy a new monitor.

But I yesterday I remember, Linus did free sync on Nvidia card thing using integrated GPU. I was wondering if I could use a cheap second GPU with DVI to output the signal while my rtx does the main task, will that work?

I am not sure how exactly all that work but if it can than it will be a cheaper solution.

What do you guys think.