only getting 250 to 450mb on 1gig connection.

Xupthree60

I just upgraded to gigabit internet with xfinity. I cant understand why my pc is only getting 250 to 450mb. 

The techs came out today and they are testing over 900mb on their little device, even using my Ethernet cable. 

What could cause my computer to not get the full speed? 

I have a gigabyte ga-z97-hd3 with an I3 4160, using the onboard Realtek GbE 10/100/1000 

How are you testing? If you're using speedtest.net, many servers can't do the full 1G connection.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Where are you downloading from or testing from, some CDN's cannot deliver that speed, for example steam caps out around 500Mbit IIRC

I've tried every one i can think of. speedtest.net, speak easy, google fiber, the one built into google search, and even ones comast and att and other providers just to try. 

I'm in Indianapolis, speedtest.net has servers in Indy that are from other gigabit providers and we are also close to chicago. 

im getting faster speeds on my oneplus 6t on wifi then on eithernet. 

xfinity plugged their hand held device into the end of my cat6 eithernet cable and got over 900 consistently, it has to be something with my computer. 

im about to restart and load a linux thumb drive to rule out software. 

WOW I AM SHOCKED!

I just ran ubuntu off a usb drive and got over 900mb... so it has to be software... wtf could it be? ive tried disabling avast.... no clue?

potentially driver related, TBH i have had some shitty realtek NIC's including in my Z87 board.

9 minutes ago, Snipergod87 said:

potentially driver related, TBH i have had some shitty realtek NIC's including in my Z87 board.

i tried downloading lan drivers direct from gigabyte, no effect. 

Your CPU cannot handle those speeds. Check your task manager while running and see if it pins. Speed test are CPU heavy

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Your CPU cannot handle those speeds. Check your task manager while running and see if it pins. Speed test are CPU heavy

cpu is fluctuating between 45% and 55% during speed test...

also it ran fast off linux on a usb drive, so it has to be software or something in windows 

19 minutes ago, Xupthree60 said:

cpu is fluctuating between 45% and 55% during speed test...

also it ran fast off linux on a usb drive, so it has to be software or something in windows 

I didnt see that post. Hmmm... didnt think that i3 could push that. Good to know.

No ideas on what to try? I might just have to reinstall Windows then I get home like it's 2005 lol