New build, when?

Tiago8v

Hey guys!

I hope you can give your opinion on this... I'ts more like I need some advices about waiting, or not...

Currently I have a system with this specs...

Asus P8p67 rev3

Intel i5 2500k 4.6Ghz (overclocked since day 1)

16Gb RAM Corsair Vengeance (slighly overclocked since day 1)

ASUS GTX 1060 6Gb Strix OC (always in OC mode)

1x 960Gb SSD Kingston (only for games)

1x 120Gb SSD Kingston (documents, imagens, ...)

1x 250Gb SSD nvme Samsung 970 Evo Plus (Windows and software)

I build this back in 2011, when the 2500k came out... currently I can play every game... but I'm feeling that I'm loosing a lot of fps.

If you wan't... I can specify some FPS so we can compare with other GTX 1060 6Gb builds...

My point is... I wanna upgrade the build, but since I dont live that well... and money is short... I don't wanna build anything rushed.

What should I do? I was planing to wait for the Intel 10th gen, because of the 10nn CPUs, but I read something about DDR5 coming soon... what should I do? Wait for Intel 10th gen or DDR5 since I can upgrade more stuff in the future if I need to, or even, try to keep the current build until it works?

I don't want to spend money in vain.

Thanks.

CPU: AMD 3700x 4300mhz 1.3v                                                     Cooling: CoolerMaster ML240L

Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS (Wi-Fi)                    RAM: 2x8GB G.SKILL 3600MHz Trident Z RGB CL16

PSU: BitFenix Whisper M 750W 80+ Gold                                      GPU: ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Twin Fan 8GB GD6

The new ryzen CPUs that are going to be released this year should be a really good upgrade. I would go for those.

Intel ones will take a lot more time by the looks of it.

2 minutes ago, Tiago8v said:

If you wan't... I can specify some FPS so we can compare with other GTX 1060 6Gb builds...

then do so

My point is... I wanna upgrade the build, but since I dont live that well... and money is short... I don't wanna build anything rushed.

What should I do? I was planing to wait for the Intel 10th gen, because of the 10nn CPUs, but I read something about DDR5 coming soon... what should I do? Wait for Intel 10th gen or DDR5 since I can upgrade more stuff in the future if I need to, or even, try to keep the current build until it works?

If money is short, you wait. Doesnt matter if the system is kinda slow at that point. Also since you're using DDR3, you will be getting new memory anyways

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

The used market is a great option, when Ryzen 3000 processors drop you will certainly be able to snag first and second gen processors for great prices when people start getting rid of their old products. eBay will have quite a range of options.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Drunk.EU said:

The new ryzen CPUs that are going to be released this year should be a really good upgrade. I would go for those.

Intel ones will take a lot more time by the looks of it.

Thanks mate, that was my first thought... although then I thought better and asked myself if the Ryzens will last as long as a Intel CPU, because I don't know any case, and I also have a bad experience with amd.

CPU: AMD 3700x 4300mhz 1.3v                                                     Cooling: CoolerMaster ML240L

Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS (Wi-Fi)                    RAM: 2x8GB G.SKILL 3600MHz Trident Z RGB CL16

PSU: BitFenix Whisper M 750W 80+ Gold                                      GPU: ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Twin Fan 8GB GD6

7 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

then do so

If money is short, you wait. Doesnt matter if the system is kinda slow at that point. Also since you're using DDR3, you will be getting new memory anyways

Ok, I will post some FPS when I get home today...

When you say wait... is until he stops working, ddr5 or 10th gen?

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The used market is a great option, when Ryzen 3000 processors drop you will certainly be able to snag first and second gen processors for great prices when people start getting rid of their old products. eBay will have quite a range of options.

It's an option... thats true.

1 minute ago, Tiago8v said:

It's an option... thats true.

I bought my current graphics card off eBay. Got a Blu ray player off it recently as well. Got scammed on something and got my money back in under 24 hours.

It is a GREAT option.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

20 minutes ago, Tiago8v said:

What should I do? I was planing to wait for the Intel 10th gen, because of the 10nn CPUs,

that isnt untill early-late 2020. 

what you would be waiting for is Zen 2 which is right around the corner. 

7 minutes ago, Tiago8v said:

DDR5 adoption is probably late 2020 or 2021. 

quite some time away, 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

that isnt untill early-late 2020. 

what you would be waiting for is Zen 2 which is right around the corner. 

Thanks man, what's your opinion about AMD cpus? Are they durable? :S

Like capable of last like 8y?

Just now, GoldenLag said:

DDR5 adoption is probably late 2020 or 2021. 

quite some time away, 

Yeah, I know... and will it be worth it? I read something about 60% perf increase! :$

Thats amaizing.

um...... yes. assuming you dont do very high voltage overclocks that would kill any CPU. like any other CPU its gonna last longer than you would want to keep it.  And the CPU should be capable, though for how long is unknown as for the last 7 years untill Ryzen came along, the market laid dorment as there was no innovation. and for the time being the corecounts are increasing and we are finally getting some innovation in the market. 

but within any reasonable Timeframe Zen 2/Ryzen 3000 would be the best option

4 minutes ago, Tiago8v said:

Yeah, I know... and will it be worth it? I read something about 60% perf increase! :$

Thats amaizing.

CPU wise the change from DDR4 to DDR5 wont really affect anything since CPUs arent memmory starved. 

20 minutes ago, Tiago8v said:

until you need more speed and you have a generous budget. I still have a 2600k desktop at home as my gaming system

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

um...... yes. assuming you dont do very high voltage overclocks that would kill any CPU. like any other CPU its gonna last longer than you would want to keep it.  And the CPU should be capable, though for how long is unknown as for the last 7 years untill Ryzen came along, the market laid dorment as there was no innovation. and for the time being the corecounts are increasing and we are finally getting some innovation in the market. 

but within any reasonable Timeframe Zen 2/Ryzen 3000 would be the best option

CPU wise the change from DDR4 to DDR5 wont really affect anything since CPUs arent memmory starved. 

I will have to wait until Lisa talks a gain on May 27th. :P 

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

until you need more speed and you have a generous budget. I still have a 2600k desktop at home as my gaming system

Thanks for the opinion mate... I'm saving a few money, and doing some extra work at home to save what I can... but, when I have a few money some s*** appear to screw me up... or some extra stuff for the kid, or some appliance that got broke... or the car... :|

48 minutes ago, Tiago8v said:

I don't want to spend money in vain.

Wait until Ryzen 3000 sereis is released, look at that and get one of those.

Intel 10nm Desktop Chips are still far far away. If we're lucky, early next year.

But there hasn't been an announcement. ONly that its coming later this year - since 2016 or so...

DDR5-SDRAM is also far away, maybe 2021 or at the earliest late 2020.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

27 minutes ago, Tiago8v said:

Yeah, why shouldn't they?!
I don't see any reason why that shouldn't be the case...

Its not like Intel CPUs stay particularly cool these days...

1 hour ago, Tiago8v said:

For reference, all Ryzen CPUs are unlocked for overclockability, and almost all of them have SMT (AMD's hyperthreading.)

Before Ryzen, they did not have a great reputation in longevity, and Ryzen has only been out a few years. So the numbers aren't there for proof yet.

The first gen Ryzen is a tad slower than 2nd, but is still trading blows since they are so dang cheap these days. 2nd gen is dropping in price as well as 3rd is prepared. 

So really, it looks like a good future out of the Ryzen series, but nobody can say for sure.

But for longevity on Intel, you will want Hyperthreading and unlocked CPU, which means big money down now. 

My suggestion: See what Zen 2 looks like. It's going to be great. You've got a working computer now, so why the rush?

7 hours ago, trevb0t said:

Before Ryzen, they did not have a great reputation in longevity,

as in CPUs are lacking in performance and get too slow.

Not in Context as CPUs dying...

But for longevity on Intel, you will want Hyperthreading and unlocked CPU, which means big money down now. 

Yea, either old 8k or 9900k.

Is there a 6 Core with SMT in the 9k Series??

Also a thing to think about: higher temperatures under load due to not great thermal connection between die to IHS.

My suggestion: See what Zen 2 looks like. It's going to be great. You've got a working computer now, so why the rush?

AGREED!

Its only a month away until Lisa talks about it on Computex.

On 4/24/2019 at 4:35 PM, trevb0t said:

For reference, all Ryzen CPUs are unlocked for overclockability, and almost all of them have SMT (AMD's hyperthreading.)

Before Ryzen, they did not have a great reputation in longevity, and Ryzen has only been out a few years. So the numbers aren't there for proof yet.

The first gen Ryzen is a tad slower than 2nd, but is still trading blows since they are so dang cheap these days. 2nd gen is dropping in price as well as 3rd is prepared. 

So really, it looks like a good future out of the Ryzen series, but nobody can say for sure.

I think I will wait then... thanks mate!

19 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

as in CPUs are lacking in performance and get too slow.

Not in Context as CPUs dying...

Yea, either old 8k or 9900k.

Is there a 6 Core with SMT in the 9k Series??

Also a thing to think about: higher temperatures under load due to not great thermal connection between die to IHS.

AGREED!

Its only a month away until Lisa talks about it on Computex.

Yeah thats true, although I'm a bit afraid of getting a amd cpu, but lets see how it comes... if the leak info is right, and the 3700x has 5.1Ghz, I think they won't have problems to beat Intel current line.

5 minutes ago, Tiago8v said:

Yeah thats true, although I'm a bit afraid of getting a amd cpu, but lets see how it comes... if the leak info is right, and the 3700x has 5.1Ghz, I think they won't have problems to beat Intel current line.

And even if Intel puts out an i7 competitor (They will,) It's going to come with fewer cores/threads, and cost 175% of the 3700x for the unlocked version. 

Then we are right back where we are now.

26 minutes ago, Tiago8v said:

Yeah thats true, although I'm a bit afraid of getting a amd cpu, but lets see how it comes...

I don't understand that.

Especially since I see Brand Loyality as a bad or very bad thing.

26 minutes ago, Tiago8v said:

if the leak info is right, and the 3700x has 5.1Ghz, I think they won't have problems to beat Intel current line.

I doubt that.

Around 5GHz for Single Core/2 Core Boost might be possible but allcore a good amount under that.

Personally I'd expect +1GHz on my 1700x.

That means ~4,5-4.6GHz Allcore Boost, 4,9GHz short term Peak Boost with only 2 Threads or something like that.

And 4.4GHz Base

Or around +10% on 2700X.

On 4/24/2019 at 3:09 PM, Tiago8v said:

Images attached...

apex_fps.png

apex_settings.png

gtasp_fps.png

gtasp_settings1.png

gtasp_settings2.png