Selection between HDD and Hybrid HDD

Mayur G A

Hello, could somebody tell me which is best for large data storage for my new pc that I am trying to build. My choice among HDDs are the Segate baracuda or Segate Iron Wolf and for Hybrid HDD it is the Segate Firecuda.

Do please try to note that I want to use them to store my games and all my music, videos and other media files and the OS will be on a M.2 SSD. So which is the best price to performance ratio or even the best performer for not only speed but also longevity among the HDD or Hybrid HDD. Also I will accept any other recommendations of other brands for my HDD or Hybrid HDD.

Price per GB a standard HDD will be more cost effective and the added speed of a hybrid drive for music and video playback won't matter (assuming single-client playback and not media server application).

OS on an SSD is a good call.  Depending on number of games I'd put them on and SSD as well, or at least the ones you play most frequently.

Seagate is good as is Western Digital.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

The speed that a hybrid HDD brings only works through a caching mechanism. i.e., the more times you access something on the HDD, the closer it approaches cache speed. If you're not going to consistently access the same data on the drive, hybrid HDDs aren't worthwhile.

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

would it make sense to use multiple for parity pooling? or am i better off using uncached disks? (RAID 5 or windows storage spaces)

If looking at a RAID5 scenario, I think the parity stripes are only used in the event one of the disks goes down. Until then it's being written to, which I don't think the cache portion of the hybrid drive will care about.

On 4/23/2019 at 9:51 PM, RAS_3885 said:

Price per GB a standard HDD will be more cost effective and the added speed of a hybrid drive for music and video playback won't matter (assuming single-client playback and not media server application).

OS on an SSD is a good call.  Depending on number of games I'd put them on and SSD as well, or at least the ones you play most frequently.

Seagate is good as is Western Digital.

Ok but as you know SSDs are quiet expensive so I am actually plan to use only 256gb of SSD for the OS and purely dedicated to it so that I can have a fast and snappy experience.

Also I am actually going to use the HDD to store a large amount of games as their primary use so in the end which is better HDD or Hybrid HDD.

And thank you very much I appereciate the help.

On 4/23/2019 at 9:53 PM, Mira Yurizaki said:

The speed that a hybrid HDD brings only works through a caching mechanism. i.e., the more times you access something on the HDD, the closer it approaches cache speed. If you're not going to consistently access the same data on the drive, hybrid HDDs aren't worthwhile.

THANK YOU for the informaion.

So considering that if I played the same game many a times so according to you should I go for the HDD hybrid or does this Have any effect on the game performance(I mainly use my PC for gaming and content consumption.)

For that type of usage, I don't think you will see much of a difference between hybrid and standard.  However, unless there is a large price difference between the standard and hybrid of the given size you need, it couldn't hurt to go hybrid.  I have a 2 TB 2.5" hybrid Seagate drive as my data drive.  My wife stores a lot of digital photos while she edits them before saving to a cloud drive and our NAS.  It seems fast enough, but I mainly bought it because it was only a few dollars more than the standard 2 TB at MicroCenter.

1 hour ago, Mayur G A said:

THANK YOU for the informaion.

So considering that if I played the same game many a times so according to you should I go for the HDD hybrid or does this Have any effect on the game performance(I mainly use my PC for gaming and content consumption.)

I could help speed things up like the main parts of the game, like say the initial startup, but it may not help with loading maps or whatnot if you keep rotating between them.