How To Correct Memory Error Memtest86

Go to solution Solved by WereCat,

If its only one error in 24h and you don't want to mess with timings and frequency anymore, just bump up the DRAM and IMC voltage by a tiny bit.

Chances are, it will be enough. You can never be sure unless you retest again though. 

So I've NEARLY tweaked and stabilized my system. Except I went and did a 24 hour Memtest on my RAM and got a single error:
2795.500: Bitpattern Test...
2817.313: Error at 21EE598

Now, it's possible I got one of those 'stray cosmic rays' but I'm gonna just ask people to dismiss that possibility for a moment. Google did tests that show the 'average' system gets 4,000 errors per year over all its DIMMs, a detailed look at the report showed that those errors were all confined to 20% of systems with the other 80% of systems getting absolutely no errors whatsoever, which tells me that it's reasonable and possible to get non-ECC memory that's pretty much error proof barring a cosmic ray switching a bit, and that's my goal here. 

Given that goal I need to figure out if this is a 'timing' issue, voltage issue, frequency issue, CPU issue, Mobo issue, bad RAM, or in a 'best' case scenario if it's just ONE bad sector that I can label as do not use on a single DIMM... 

Now... I'm aware, I can test this by switching DIMM slots, testing alternative RAM, throwing in a different CPU, testing my components in another system, setting the 'default' values, and going through a list of incredibly tedious trouble shooting steps, each requiring their own 24 hour memtest for each configuration to verify the integrity of the RAM given the configuration, and rule out the possibility that it's whatever thing I'm isolating as a variable...

But... Before I go through this tedious, extremely difficult, and time consuming process to chase down a single error, I figured I'd throw a message to the community to see if there were any 'quick' troubleshooting steps I could take to address this error that don't require so much time and effort. Thanks in advance...

CPU | 8700k @ 5.1 Ghz, AVX 0, 1.37 v Stable, Motherboard | Z390 Gigabyte AORUS Master V1.0, BIOS F9, RAM | G.Skill Ripjaw V 16x2 @ 2666 Mhz 12-16-16-30, Latency 38.5ns GPU | EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper @ 2160 Mhz Clock & 7800 Mhz Mem, Case | Phantek - Enthoo Primo, Storage | Intel 905p 1 TB PCIe NVME SSD, PSU | EVGA SuperNova Titanium 1600 w, UPS | CyberPower SineWave 2000VA/1540W, Display(s) | LG 4k 55" OLED & CUK 1440p 27" @ 144hz, Cooling | Custom WL, 1 x 480x60mm , 1 x 360x60mm, 2 x 240x60mm, 1 x 120x30mm rads, 12 x Noctua A25x12 Fans, Keyboard | Logitech G915 Wireless (Linear), Mouse | Logitech G Pro Wireless Gaming, Sound | Sonos Soundbar, Subwoofer, 2 x Play:3, Operating System | Windows 10 Professional.

If you only got 1 single error in a 24hr period... Pretty sure you can call it stable and have no issues or worries with it. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

If you only got 1 single error in a 24hr period... Pretty sure you can call it stable and have no issues or worries with it. 

You're right of course, the 'odds' are in my favor that even if there is a 'single' bit somewhere that is bad, it's not going to hit a critical value and switch it causing a system failure, or major problem somewhere... But... I really am not a 'huge' fan of gambling, even when the odds are in my favor. Given that I know it's possible to get a fully stable system, I'd rather avoid the possibility.

Granted, with 24 hours and 1 error, I think I'm looking at an error every 10 days or so of normal use, approximately 36 a year, and still the odds are pretty good those 36 errors won't be anything major... But... Not a risk I want to take, so any advice would be appreciated if anyone knows any tips or tricks to shortcut troubleshooting an individual error. 

CPU | 8700k @ 5.1 Ghz, AVX 0, 1.37 v Stable, Motherboard | Z390 Gigabyte AORUS Master V1.0, BIOS F9, RAM | G.Skill Ripjaw V 16x2 @ 2666 Mhz 12-16-16-30, Latency 38.5ns GPU | EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper @ 2160 Mhz Clock & 7800 Mhz Mem, Case | Phantek - Enthoo Primo, Storage | Intel 905p 1 TB PCIe NVME SSD, PSU | EVGA SuperNova Titanium 1600 w, UPS | CyberPower SineWave 2000VA/1540W, Display(s) | LG 4k 55" OLED & CUK 1440p 27" @ 144hz, Cooling | Custom WL, 1 x 480x60mm , 1 x 360x60mm, 2 x 240x60mm, 1 x 120x30mm rads, 12 x Noctua A25x12 Fans, Keyboard | Logitech G915 Wireless (Linear), Mouse | Logitech G Pro Wireless Gaming, Sound | Sonos Soundbar, Subwoofer, 2 x Play:3, Operating System | Windows 10 Professional.

1 minute ago, Daharen said:

You're right of course, the 'odds' are in my favor that even if there is a 'single' bit somewhere that is bad, it's not going to hit a critical value and switch it causing a system failure, or major problem somewhere... But... I really am not a 'huge' fan of gambling, even when the odds are in my favor. Given that I know it's possible to get a fully stable system, I'd rather avoid the possibility.

Granted, with 24 hours and 1 error, I think I'm looking at an error every 10 days or so of normal use, approximately 36 a year, and still the odds are pretty good those 36 errors won't be anything major... But... Not a risk I want to take, so any advice would be appreciated if anyone knows any tips or tricks to shortcut troubleshooting an individual error. 

Well there are several steps to test and check. 

First, 100% reset your BIOS to optimized defaults and run strictly at 100% bare bones stock everything.

Second, if everything with the 1st is good, add your overclock back and test each stick individually and see if it produces on a single stick or slot.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

The immediate question is, is that error repeatable? Do that before you change anything else. I'm not familiar with the exact settings available, but at the least you could run the specific test that failed over and over again. If possible, you might even be able to limit the address range to where the failure happened.

If repeatable, you have something to work with. Make a change, see if it goes away. If it is not repeatable, you're never going to prove you fixed it.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

If its only one error in 24h and you don't want to mess with timings and frequency anymore, just bump up the DRAM and IMC voltage by a tiny bit.

Chances are, it will be enough. You can never be sure unless you retest again though. 

7 minutes ago, porina said:

The immediate question is, is that error repeatable? Do that before you change anything else. I'm not familiar with the exact settings available, but at the least you could run the specific test that failed over and over again. If possible, you might even be able to limit the address range to where the failure happened.

If repeatable, you have something to work with. Make a change, see if it goes away. If it is not repeatable, you're never going to prove you fixed it.

I think it is possible to look at the specific address with the professional version of Memtest86 and a specific file made to limit the range, but I am not sure I plan on paying for it... MAYBE as a last resort, and given that, thanks for the suggestion. 

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

This seems to be the most simple and straight forward suggestion. I'll still run another test probably tomorrow evening through when I get off work, and if the same address pops up, I'll just blacklist it and assume its one bad address on the DIMM. If no errors, I'll assume the voltage fixed the stability issue, and if I get an error at another address, I guess I 'might' need to start looking at the CPU or Mobo as the issue, and that sucks... But, this seems pretty simple, and completely eluded me for some reason, so thanks.