CMD and TWRP

Go to solution Solved by dfsdfgfkjsefoiqzemnd,

Right, here goes.  This guide is quite detailed and I tried to explain every step completely instead of letting you search, so as long as you follow these instructions you should be good.  I believe I have covered everything, if not I will edit this post and point out the edit in a new one.

I never used the Google Apps package on my J3, so if you want to use Google's service I'm not sure which package to select (in terms of processor architecture etc). 

I can look it up if you want, but even then you'll need to decide for yourself if you want minimal apps (only the Play store), the full Google package or anything in between.

I assume you know that things CAN go wrong and you're doing this at your own risk.  Like anyone else who ever posted a guide, I take no responsibility if your phone breaks or accidentally starts WW3.

Let's get started ...

1 ) download the Samsung USB drivers and install them on your PC

https://developer.samsung.com/galaxy/others/android-usb-driver-for-windows

2 ) Download Odin.  You may extract the .exe from the .zip file, but don't start the program yet

https://build.nethunter.com/samsung-tools/Odin_3.12.3.zip

3 ) Download TWRP and the ROM for your phone.  I'm linking the XDA page as it contains both TWRP and a 7.1 ROM that works for sure (I run that one myself).  You'll need the one for the j3xlte, not the j3xnlte

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-j3-2016/development/rom-lineageos-14-1-samsung-galaxy-j3-t3667015

- Put the zip file with the ROM itself on a MicroSD card and put the card in the phone already.   

- If you plan to use Google Apps, you'll need to put that package on the MicroSD card too.  It's best to flash the Gapps package right after flashing the ROM.

- Keep the TWRP file on your PC.

------------------------------------------------

4 ) on the phone, go to Settings -> About device -> Software.  There you need to tap the build number until you see a message that you unlocked developer options.

5 ) go back to Settings, then go into the Developer Options.  There you need to flick the "OEM Unlock" switch.  You will probably get a warning.  If so, confirm that you really want to allow the unlocking.

6 ) Shut down the phone and connect it to your PC

7 ) On the PC, launch Odin (I open it with admin privileges, not sure if it needs them).

8 ) turn on the phone in "download mode".  To do this, press and hold down the power button and the "volume down" button.  The phone will display a warning message.  When that happens, release the buttons, then press "volume up" to continue. 

After a few seconds Odin should show an "added" message in the log window.  It now sees the phone and should be able to make changes to it.

9 ) In Odin, push the " AP " button and navigate to the TWRP file.  Load the file (IIRC the button is called "Open", but I'm not sure anymore). 

Once you're back on Odin's main screen, go to the "Options" tab and un-tick the "Auto-reboot".  Then go back to the "Log" tab.

(that very last part is just in case something goes wrong with the install.  If something does go wrong, the log window will describe the problem.  But I hope we won't need that)

Up until now nothing permanent has been done.  However the next step is the point of no return.

10 ) Press the "Start" button and Odin will attempt to flash TWRP onto the phone.  If it succeeds, you'll see a green square with "PASS!" in the top left corner of the Odin screen.

Now that the recovery is on the phone, it's time to reboot.  We'll go straight into the recovery, there's no point in attempting to let it boot into the system.

You can leave the phone plugged in, but there's no need for that anymore.  Feel free to unplug it and to quit Odin.

11 ) Force a shutdown by pressing power + "volume down" for 7 seconds. 

As soon as the screen goes black, release the buttons and immediately press power + "volume up".  the phone will now boot into the TWRP recovery.

12 ) In the main menu, press the Wipe button.  Most people recommend the regular factory reset, I personally do an advanced wipe where I select Dalvik, Cache, Data, Internal Storage and System when switching from original to custom ROMs.  Never had any problems with that.

13 ) go back to the recovery's main menu, then select "install".  Press the "select storage" button and go to your MicroSD card.  Then navigate to the ROM file and it should start installing Lineage OS. 

14 ) If the install is succesful, the hard work is done.  You can now either let the phone reboot or install the Google apps package first and then reboot. 

The recovery will prompt you about installing the TWRP app and about root access.  What you do with that is your choice.  I always run my phones without Google apps, no root and no TWRP app.  Never had an issue.

15 ) When it boots you wait ... and wait ... and wait.  The first boot can take a while, so don't worry if you only see the boot animation for a couple of minutes (yes, that long).  It'll finish eventually. 

16 ) Enjoy !

So I found a custom rom for j3 j320f with android 8.1 . It is based on lineage os and as far as I know it doesn t have many problems. My problem is that I can t install TWRP. Why you ask , the reason is that I can t see my device on fastboot list. When I type    " fastboot devices "   cmd shows     " C:\adb> "     . My cable works fine because when I type     "adb reboot"    my phone reboots. What am I doing wrong. Sorry for my bad english.

Have you turned on USB debugging the developer settings?

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

IIRC I didn't use USB debugging when I flashed my J3 (or my Tab2, S7 or S9+ for that matter), I simply went into developer options, flicked the "OEM Unlock" switch and used Odin to flash the recovery and ROM.  No need for command line etc.

I could write a full tutorial if needed.

It sounds like you need an USB driver for your phone. Since thats what needed to connect.
But mostly they come with the instal of ADB, unless you got portable then you would need to do that yourself.
And since there are so many different types of phone, you need to google that yourself im afraid to say.

Just now, HanZie82 said:

And since there are so many different types of phone, you need to google that yourself im afraid to say.

I have the same phone and flashed mine less than a month ago.  Writing the full guide with links right now.

59 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Have you turned on USB debugging the developer settings?

Yes

38 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

I have the same phone and flashed mine less than a month ago.  Writing the full guide with links right now.

A guide would be awesome.

42 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

It sounds like you need an USB driver for your phone. Since thats what needed to connect.
But mostly they come with the instal of ADB, unless you got portable then you would need to do that yourself.

What do you mean by install of adb , do I have to install something? I just downloaded platform tools and extract them and put them in a folder called adb

Right, here goes.  This guide is quite detailed and I tried to explain every step completely instead of letting you search, so as long as you follow these instructions you should be good.  I believe I have covered everything, if not I will edit this post and point out the edit in a new one.

I never used the Google Apps package on my J3, so if you want to use Google's service I'm not sure which package to select (in terms of processor architecture etc). 

I can look it up if you want, but even then you'll need to decide for yourself if you want minimal apps (only the Play store), the full Google package or anything in between.

I assume you know that things CAN go wrong and you're doing this at your own risk.  Like anyone else who ever posted a guide, I take no responsibility if your phone breaks or accidentally starts WW3.

Let's get started ...

2 ) Download Odin.  You may extract the .exe from the .zip file, but don't start the program yet

3 ) Download TWRP and the ROM for your phone.  I'm linking the XDA page as it contains both TWRP and a 7.1 ROM that works for sure (I run that one myself).  You'll need the one for the j3xlte, not the j3xnlte

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-j3-2016/development/rom-lineageos-14-1-samsung-galaxy-j3-t3667015

- Put the zip file with the ROM itself on a MicroSD card and put the card in the phone already.   

- If you plan to use Google Apps, you'll need to put that package on the MicroSD card too.  It's best to flash the Gapps package right after flashing the ROM.

4 ) on the phone, go to Settings -> About device -> Software.  There you need to tap the build number until you see a message that you unlocked developer options.

5 ) go back to Settings, then go into the Developer Options.  There you need to flick the "OEM Unlock" switch.  You will probably get a warning.  If so, confirm that you really want to allow the unlocking.

7 ) On the PC, launch Odin (I open it with admin privileges, not sure if it needs them).

8 ) turn on the phone in "download mode".  To do this, press and hold down the power button and the "volume down" button.  The phone will display a warning message.  When that happens, release the buttons, then press "volume up" to continue. 

After a few seconds Odin should show an "added" message in the log window.  It now sees the phone and should be able to make changes to it.

9 ) In Odin, push the " AP " button and navigate to the TWRP file.  Load the file (IIRC the button is called "Open", but I'm not sure anymore). 

Once you're back on Odin's main screen, go to the "Options" tab and un-tick the "Auto-reboot".  Then go back to the "Log" tab.

(that very last part is just in case something goes wrong with the install.  If something does go wrong, the log window will describe the problem.  But I hope we won't need that)

Up until now nothing permanent has been done.  However the next step is the point of no return.

10 ) Press the "Start" button and Odin will attempt to flash TWRP onto the phone.  If it succeeds, you'll see a green square with "PASS!" in the top left corner of the Odin screen.

Now that the recovery is on the phone, it's time to reboot.  We'll go straight into the recovery, there's no point in attempting to let it boot into the system.

You can leave the phone plugged in, but there's no need for that anymore.  Feel free to unplug it and to quit Odin.

As soon as the screen goes black, release the buttons and immediately press power + "volume up".  the phone will now boot into the TWRP recovery.

12 ) In the main menu, press the Wipe button.  Most people recommend the regular factory reset, I personally do an advanced wipe where I select Dalvik, Cache, Data, Internal Storage and System when switching from original to custom ROMs.  Never had any problems with that.

13 ) go back to the recovery's main menu, then select "install".  Press the "select storage" button and go to your MicroSD card.  Then navigate to the ROM file and it should start installing Lineage OS. 

14 ) If the install is succesful, the hard work is done.  You can now either let the phone reboot or install the Google apps package first and then reboot. 

The recovery will prompt you about installing the TWRP app and about root access.  What you do with that is your choice.  I always run my phones without Google apps, no root and no TWRP app.  Never had an issue.

15 ) When it boots you wait ... and wait ... and wait.  The first boot can take a while, so don't worry if you only see the boot animation for a couple of minutes (yes, that long).  It'll finish eventually. 

16 ) Enjoy !

I had to edit step 3 a bit.  I noticed you mentioned finding an Android 8.1 ROM based on Lineage OS, the one I linked to was in fact a 7.1.2 ROM (that I'm running on my own J3).  Feel free to use the ROM you found.  I know the one that I linked to works, so it's a good backup option if yours gives you any trouble.

1288449316_ChaosJ3.jpg.1ab9cb155d95867272b0fd6e880c570f.jpg

For some reason the image doesn't want to show up at the correct angle even though I did save it upright.  Sorry about that.

9 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Let's get started ...

12 ) In the main menu, press the Wipe button.  Most people recommend the regular factory reset, I personally do an advanced wipe where I select Dalvik, Cache, Data, Internal Storage and System when switching from original to custom ROMs.  Never had any problems with that, but

16 ) Enjoy !

Thank you , your instructions were incredible

So I assume you're running a custom ROM now.

Happy they helped.  ?

If you want to change ROMs later on it's real easy. 

Just copy the new .zip file onto your MicroSD card, boot into TWRP, do a factory reset and install the ROM.  You won't need to do the whole Odin thing anymore because you already have the recovery on your phone.

If ever your recovery needs to be replaced (sometimes you will need a newer recovery to flash the latest ROMs), you should be able to do that from the recovery too.  Same procedure as flashing a ROM.

Small tip : under Settings -> System -> Developer options, you'll find an option for "advanced restart" near the top.  That makes it easier to boot into recovery if you ever need to be there.  No more need to remember what button combo to use, just long-press the power button as you normally would, select restart, select recovery.

Another nice thing in the Developer options is at the bottom, the "Kill app back button".  That allows you to simply kill the process in the foreground by long-pressing the back button.  Very handy for when you have an app that freezes or misbehaves.

19 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Let's get started ...

16 ) Enjoy !

I just liked your post because of the wait effort you put into the community.

On 4/20/2019 at 6:22 PM, Lalit Kumar said:

I just liked your post because of the wait effort you put into the community.

Thats very nice, but no need to quote a long post like that now does it. ;)