Cable Sleeving size

Kinzano

Hi Guys,

I'm new to forum and about to learn how to cable sleeving, I have bought the alphacool crimping kit, and i search forum for AWG 16 or 18 and its just matter of personal taste I think,

I havent found yet regarding the size of the cable sleeving it self, from my local store some use 2mm, some use 3mm or even more, I Mainly will start cable sleeving only for 2 things the 24 Pin ATX to motherboard and 6+2 and 8 Pin to Motherboard, not yet involve more further like Sata or case fan, just those 2 cable.

so my question is to all master cables sleeving here,

1. what size best for 24 pin atx motherboard and to graphic card, the 2mm,3mm, or 4mm or more.

2. does cable sleeving only works as extension cable or can be used directly to Modular PSU (some local store in my country do not offer modular cable sleeving only as extension) while I think I notice at cablemod they sell full modular cable sleeving

3 PSU i will be using Corsair, Seasonic, Coolermaster, Thermaltake, Evga.

Thanks guys, and much appreciated for any reply

The smaller the better also it depends on the type of sleeving and weather it has more give to it.  and  you can sleeve anything you want as long as your willing to put in the effort.  You can also sleeve non modular PSU but again its kind of a pain. 

Hi, Thank you very much for the reply, ok so the smaller should be 2mm? ill just watch the youtube video then, and yes I have time and will learn how to sleev for non extension, seems extension will add more cable management task eventually

4 hours ago, Kinzano said:

-SNIP-

For 18AWG and 16AWG wire 4mm sleeving is capable for dealing with both if you are planning to do your own cables. You will require tools to do so such as crimping tools for the terminals and such if you want to start completely from scratch. 

Hi, W-L,

thanks for the advice much appreciated, so in between 2mm and 4mm will do good for sleeving atx motherboard and graphic card..., I also noticed the MDPC-X sleeving cable and they used either 15 and 17 AWG are they both hard to make it sleev.

thanks

22 minutes ago, Kinzano said:

Hi, W-L,

thanks for the advice much appreciated, so in between 2mm and 4mm will do good for sleeving atx motherboard and graphic card..., I also noticed the MDPC-X sleeving cable and they used either 15 and 17 AWG are they both hard to make it sleev.

thanks

2mm will not work as it's too small, 4mm is pretty much the standard for general sleeving 2mm would be more for the front panel 2 pin connectors. 18AWG is the requirement and 16AWG is good for extremely long run as in excessively long or for the aesthetic of having a larger diameter cable look, MDPC's sizes are less common sizes since they are metric equivalents to the AWG standard.

Hi, W-L, ah ok thanks so i should avoid the 2mm size then, still thinking between mdpc line up sleeves though they are using uncommon 15 and 17 awg, and Alphacool sells 4mm Alphacord, while primochill sells start from 3mm Kobra HD type.

35 minutes ago, Kinzano said:

Hi, W-L, ah ok thanks so i should avoid the 2mm size then, still thinking between mdpc line up sleeves though they are using uncommon 15 and 17 awg, and Alphacool sells 4mm Alphacord, while primochill sells start from 3mm Kobra HD type.

The Alphacool stuff is paracord while the MDPC and Kobra stuff is PET (plastic Sleeve) I personally would recommend the MDPC stuff if the price is not majorly different as they are very well regarded. Some good places to get sleeving depending where you are located is Mainframe Customs, Mod one, Pexon to name a few. 

yes, the Alphacools its paracord type, and it seems i will try PET sleeving first or from MDPC, looking at mdpc-x there are Small Type and XTC small while either in their description mention 

XTC

"In the range from 2.0 mm to 4.0 mm both are perfectly usable and only your personal preference based on technical behavior and visual result should make you find your choice. On 5.0 mm outer diameter, XTC is almost at the maximum and application onto an object is slower because of it."

Classic Small

"MDPC-X classic SMALL cable sleeving is extremely expandable and covers a wide diameter range from ~1.7 mm to ~7.8 mm. On short distances you can get this highly expandable cable sleeving over objects of ~8.0 mm in diameter."

for XTC in the range 2mm to 4mm got me confused, already send them email if  I order should i mention i want the 4mm instead of 2mm or the sleeve stretchable to 4mm depending on inside wire

thanks