Roast my poor planning?

f2bacon

I'll try and make this short. After storm sandy in 2012 I lost everything, so I picked up a cheap refurbished prebuilt hp h8-1223. I've been working on it since then, til now where there's no remnants of that build.
I've gotten pretty much everything secondhand so I saved a ton of money, but I'm not sure if my decisions were the best. 

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

honestly I'm highly questioning your choice here, i can't name any good 430w evga unit, only the low end 80+ units

In 2013 I decided to get a 750ti that needed a higher watt psu, I think it was the cheapest I saw on amazon that fit my needs, It cost me $25 at the time and got me this far
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H33SDR4/

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

honestly I'm highly questioning your choice here, i can't name any good 430w evga unit, only the low end 80+ units

If it even has an 80+ rating

OP though, you'll want to overclock your memory, to at least 2666. The 1600 like fast memory, it will help a good bit in performance. 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

15 minutes ago, f2bacon said:

In 2013 I decided to get a 750ti that needed a higher watt psu, I think it was the cheapest I saw on amazon that fit my needs, It cost me $25 at the time and got me this far
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H33SDR4/

yeah... don't expect that thing to run much longer than 3 years...

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

yeah... don't expect that thing to run much longer than 3 years...

what are the weak points? is it really just the  psu?

6 minutes ago, f2bacon said:

what are the weak points? is it really just the  psu?

group regulation, it's pretty easy to break with modern hardware

it's just a low quality unit in general

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

question, what psu does that one use? some HP's have pretty decent delta or liteon PSUs

I'm not positive, the listing says "300w" and I remember when I had the 750ti I needed to have a higher wattage psu so I ended up with the evga 430

4 minutes ago, f2bacon said:

I'm not positive, the listing says "300w" and I remember when I had the 750ti I needed to have a higher wattage psu so I ended up with the evga 430

ah, so probably no pcie power connector... wattage would technically be fine for a 750ti tho

cx550 seems to be around 40 bucks currently if you want a new one...

12 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

ah, so probably no pcie power connector... wattage would technically be fine for a 750ti tho

cx550 seems to be around 40 bucks currently if you want a new one...

i got the evga to support the 750ti but have since upgraded to the 1060 3gb.
is the psu really the only weak point? im not sure if i should feel terrible or only a little bad haha

should i even bother getting into overclocking settings? im a little worried to overclock considering my old mobo melted without any overclocking 

6 minutes ago, f2bacon said:

i got the evga to support the 750ti but have since upgraded to the 1060 3gb.
is the psu really the only weak point? im not sure if i should feel terrible or only a little bad haha

i mean, for the price you did well on the other parts, just the psu is what I'd call the weak point here

Really the RAM and the PSU are the 2 weak points. You might be able to OC the RAM a little for better performance, though. First Gen Ryzen is particularly sensitive to RAM and the sweet spot is 3000MHz. Otherwise it's a fairly solid build.

If I were you I'd try and sell the RAM. You REALLY don't need 32GB. Take the cash you get, grab 16GB of 3000Mhz. Should even out.

7 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

group regulation, it's pretty easy to break with modern hardware

it's just a low quality unit in general

That's all true, but with this unit it's not the end of the world. I like what HardOCP said about it in their conclusion the best:

"Since the EVGA 430W makes a lot of compromises in its low end build quality, unimpressive voltage regulation, and mediocre DC output quality this unit unfortunately has nothing by the numbers going for it that we can point to and say "yeah, but it does XXXXX" well enough to justify buying other than its "OK" Transient Load Test results, which still aren't good enough to make up for its failure in our regular load test.

Now, all of that said this unit was $19.99 at the time of purchase (and has gone on sale at that price a number of times since) and is currently coming in at $34.99 after $10 MIR. At that price, sure this unit is failing but it was almost passing and lots of much more expensive power supplies can't get as close to passing as this unit did. That has to count for something! This may actually be the best ~$30 power supply sold currently."

I'm not necessarily endorsing it for these particular parts, but it could have been worse. At the end of the day what I'm really saying is: it's not something you have to run out and change tomorrow, but when time and money permit, you should look at getting a better unit like a CXm or TXm from Corsair for this build.

6 hours ago, jerubedo said:

That's all true, but with this unit it's not the end of the world. I like what HardOCP said about it in their conclusion the best:

it's not the end of the world, but group regulation is known to cause a high ripple with modern tech, so imo better safe than sorry

6 hours ago, jerubedo said:

you should look at getting a better unit like a CXm or TXm from Corsair for this build.

fun fact btw: did you know the cx and cxm have a difference? not just modularity for thr cxm, but the cx performs better electrically

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

not just modularity for thr cxm, but the cx performs better electrically

That part I was unaware of, good to know!

1 minute ago, jerubedo said:

That part I was unaware of, good to know!

they're also dualsourced, cwt and greatwall

the greatwall is the same platform as the txm, just a bit modified as it is a 80+ bronze, not a gold

15 hours ago, f2bacon said:

oof. 

a R9 290x or literallu anything else would have been better. 

15 hours ago, f2bacon said:

would look to swap out that rather quick. like a cx550 (2017) or a used PSU of very high quality. 

just picked up a silverstone strider plus 500w. thanks for the advice guys!

and i can definitely wait for a good price on 3000 ram. i actually did set my xmp to 2666 though.

only thing i'm trying to figure out is why my cpu is maxed out even at idle. i was able to overclock to 3890mhz but even at idle it wont relax. im on the ryzen balanced power plan and the minimum is 5%. is there a setting im missing?