Installing Windows 10 Question

Evanair
Go to solution Solved by soulreaper11207,
4 hours ago, Optane^ said:

So you can make a user account and do everything you need to do and it will fully reset? This is great. Thanks.

Umm I think if you just want all the drives left on there you can just run the C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\sysprep.exe and dont check the generalize box. That would uninstall all the drivers. Not good for just a swap of the machine to another user. 

I've installed Windows for myself since 98, but I've never done this before.

What I'm looking to do is install and setup my old laptop for someone, but have it turn on to the "welcome to windows" screen so they can setup their account and wifi (similar to how a new laptop comes out of the box, but I need to install all drivers and updates first)

Any advice?

When you install windows and it tells you to remove the install media then reboot, Just give it to them then. That's when you would setup a profile and what-not. Not sure about drivers though.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

1 minute ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

When you install windows and it tells you to remove the install media then reboot, Just give it to them then. That's when you would setup a profile and what-not. Not sure about drivers though.

I tried that to see if it worked, I would but she knows little about computers.  And windows update won't pick up all of the device drivers, which is Ironic as hell as it's a Surface 3 Pro.

How far is this person from you. You could simply assist her and guide her during  the process

1 minute ago, Zmax said:

How far is this person from you. You could simply assist her and guide her during  the process

About 6 thousand miles.

Right now, I'm seeing about building a slipstream install.

Sysprep /generalize /shutdown /oobe

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Windows update will never grab all drivers. You always have to go to device manager and download some manually. Just grab her information and set-up the machine and get everything installed. Did you install 1809 or 1803?

PC - i7 12700K | EVGA FTW3 3090 | Corsair H150i | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A | 32GB Corsair Vengance | Lian Li O11 Evo & EVGA 1k PSU

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, keskparane said:

command prompt?

Yeah. 

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

13 minutes ago, keskparane said:

I'm curious. What does this do?

PC - i7 12700K | EVGA FTW3 3090 | Corsair H150i | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A | 32GB Corsair Vengance | Lian Li O11 Evo & EVGA 1k PSU

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

5 minutes ago, Optane^ said:

I'm curious. What does this do?

Preps the machine, removes user info, sets to out of box experience, and shuts it down

Just now, keskparane said:

Preps the machine, removes user info, sets to out of box experience, and shuts it down

So you can make a user account and do everything you need to do and it will fully reset? This is great. Thanks.

-

4 hours ago, Optane^ said:

Umm I think if you just want all the drives left on there you can just run the C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\sysprep.exe and dont check the generalize box. That would uninstall all the drivers. Not good for just a swap of the machine to another user. 

I did do that. I looked up the modifiers before I did what was posted