Buy now or wait & see

matrixatp

So after doing some research I determined that the new GPU for me would be either the 1070 ti or the Vega 56. Whichever is cheaper at the time of purchase (most likely the 1070ti though). The question is should I buy now or wait and see if there would be a good Navi / Turing equivalent by the end of the year. I consider the 1660 line a fail and think nvidia might step their game up this autumn. And AMD? What will they do? Thoughts? Upgrading from a RX 480 in case anyone wonders.

Navi is the one for you. Definitely. Going from an rx 480 to a 1070ti/vega 56 isn't enough of an improvement for the price tag (usually around 300 dollars if not more). Navi will offer 1080/Vega 64 level performance most likely for the same price as those gpu's you mentioned, maybe even cheaper. I'd wait a little longer till June/July when it arrives on the market and save people like you from wasting so much on a small improvement.

i'd save my money if I were you.

1070Ti will give a nice bump in performance not one i'd consider worth buying new.

Try fishing for some used 1080Ti, someone may be selling in order to upgrade to an RTX. That would be a worthy upgrade.

12 minutes ago, faziten said:

i'd save my money if I were you.

1070Ti will give a nice bump in performance not one i'd consider worth buying new.

Try fishing for some used 1080Ti, someone may be selling in order to upgrade to an RTX. That would be a worthy upgrade.

Yeah, the rx 480 is still a decent card. A 1070 ti wouldn't be worth the $300 price tag in your case. AMD is due to release their 3rd gen ryzen CPUs along with their 6th gen GPUs (rx 670, 680 690, etc) in July, and the leaks sound promising. I suggest you wait until then and wait and see how both companies price their lineups, and grab the best bang for the buck improvement.

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Yeah, I guess Linus fans would confirm what I was thinking. Also the rx 6 series might go well with my ryzen 5 (non x). If things go well this year next upgrade will be due in about 3 years (maybe more even). Where I'm from we usually have bad experiences with second hand hardware so I'd rather buy new. Atm there is a guy selling a 1070ti for 75% retail price that looks like the interface burned out.