Is it worth to Update to upcoming Windows 10 May 2019 Update

Hey Guys

Hello

So my 10 year old Laptop is running Windows 10 1607 (Anniversary Update) and I thought to update my laptop to the upcoming Windows 10 May 2019 update. 

But then I taught of some bugs and performance loss would occur like it happened in the last updates of last year (Windows 10 1803 & 1809).

So guys I need your help to decide for to update or not. 

And my brother's laptop from 2017 with 7th Gen i5 is also running the same Windows 10 build (1607) and he agreed to Update it to the upcoming Windows 10 coming next month. 

So please help me in this situation. 

Edited by AKSHAYROG

43 minutes ago, AKSHAYROG said:

So my 10 year old Laptop

Can we get the specs on this? It's amazing a 10 year old laptop is even running Windows 10, one I handled could hardly do it well, and honestly I'd go back to Windows 7.

regardless of specs I think I'd recommend staying put, but you can always try it out and return to Anniversary later if you don't like the latest build. Windows 10 can go back to previous updates within a 7 10 or so day period.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

6 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

Can we get the specs on this? It's amazing a 10 year old PC is even running Windows 10 let alone a laptop, and honestly I'd go back to Windows 7.

regardless of specs I think I'd recommend staying put, but you can always try it out and return to Anniversary later if you don't like the latest build. Windows 10 can go back to previous updates within a 7 or so day period.

10 days

21 minutes ago, AKSHAYROG said:

So please help me in this situation. 

It's really simple: never "Check for updates". Let Microsoft decide when it's time to brick your OS.

7 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

Can we get the specs on this? It's amazing a 10 year old PC is even running Windows 10 let alone a laptop, and honestly I'd go back to Windows 7.

regardless of specs I think I'd recommend staying put, but you can always try it out and return to Anniversary later if you don't like the latest build. Windows 10 can go back to previous updates within a 7 or so day period.

The first Core i CPUs were coming out ten years ago. Those are more than capable of handling Windows 10 as long as they have the recommended amount of RAM.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

17 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

The first Core i CPUs were coming out ten years ago. Those are more than capable of handling Windows 10 as long as they have the recommended amount of RAM

Oh I know, I've tried, but I've also seen and handled mobile laptops running Windows 10 with these first i Gen CPU's (afaik it was an i7 but I can't remember the actual spec, 620M comes to mind but I remember a Q and/or U) and it is almost unusable at times though it does run. I recommended a downgrade to Windows 7 and had noticeably better performance as far as we could feel with Office 2007 and Firefox Quantum.

Also i don't think "more than" capable is the right word choice. They are certainly capable but they do suffer.

As for the desktops yes they can chug, I had a Sandy Bridge i3-2120 and given an SSD it ran really well, happy to be on a Sandy Bridge Xeon now though.

10 years feels like ages ago idk why, but I'll update my part, thanks for the mental check.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

That laptop has a Core 2 duo T6670. 

4GB ram. 300GB 5400 RPM WD Hard drive. 

It's a Lenovo ThinkPad SL400

I need your opinions after using the latest updates

My bro's laptop is a 7th gen Core i5 7200u. 6GB Ram. Nvidia GeForce 920m 4GB. 1TB Toshiba HDD With a DVD Rom drive replaced with a 250 SSD

I need your opinions if you updated to 1803 or 1809 Windows 10 update

8 hours ago, AKSHAYROG said:

That laptop has a Core 2 duo T6670. 

4GB ram. 300GB 5400 RPM WD Hard drive. 

It's a Lenovo ThinkPad SL400

I need your opinions after using the latest updates

My bro's laptop is a 7th gen Core i5 7200u. 6GB Ram. Nvidia GeForce 920m 4GB. 1TB Toshiba HDD With a DVD Rom drive replaced with a 250 SSD

I need your opinions if you updated to 1803 or 1809 Windows 10 update

It is the HDD that kills you.

I have Windows 10 installed on a Core 2 Duo (granted I put in a GeForce 730 for driver support, as the Intel integrated graphics didnt' have drivers, and I needed DVI, while teh syste only had VGA) with an SSD, and it very capable. At least for the basics. 

I also have a laptop uisng a first gen Core i series CPU in a laptop with some low-end GeForce graphic card (it's a laptop I got for free), I put an SSD, and while it is indeed slower then the Core 2 Duo desktop, it is ok. I use it as my Netflix box on my dumb TV, and it can handle 1080p perfectly well. Also it has an SSD.

If space is not an issue, you can get an 120GB SSD for really cheap. You dont' need anything fancy as, of course the CPU is the limiting factor. But it does a big difference, even if you have a 7200RPM HDD. Of course make sure that the system supports AHCI, and is on SATA-2 (should be, bu double check). And don't go way too cheap on the SSD, else tyhey might not have DRAM, or use really slow chips, and you won't notice anything much.