Looking for a parts list - new build

Go to solution Solved by jerubedo,
2 minutes ago, CoffeeBreak9To5 said:

What about if I did this instead?

This way I get the best processor, best video card, and keep the original tower and RAM because I like the look better. I found the 2070 with the same look as the 2060 you originally recommended. I feel like I can be OK with the 240 GB drive and nothing else. I'm fine uninstalling games after I finish them. holding 2-3 big ones or 3-5 larger ones sounds good to me.

Yep. That works. If you feel 240GB is doable then go for it. It's basically my original build minus the CPU cooler, a reduced SSD, and a 2070 with the same color scheme. What's not to like?

Hello there. Let me just say thank you to everyone in advance for taking time to help me

Goal: Gaming, web browsing, MS Office, Skype, and uTorrent are basically all the things I use. For gaming I want 1080p max settings if possible and hoping for 60 FPS

Budget: $1000 (USA) Don't worry about tax as I live in a state with no sales tax

What I want to play: Everything

Other thoughts: If it's possible I'd love a black & white theme but please performance > looks. Only do this if it can fit in the budget and you aren't sacrificing performance. I'm okay going slightly over budget, but not my much please. 

I was thinking about going for a 2600x since I've heard it's probably the best in my range. I was also thinking about an RX 580 because I heard it's the king of 1080p gaming. I'm not hung up on either of those, though, just some thoughts.

I'm looking to hopefully order tonight to have parts in hand for Friday I hope. I do not want to wait several months to see what new Ryzens are going to bring. I also don't want talk about the F word for this build: future proofing. I just want what performs best now in games released this year or the end of last year.

I hope that is not too demanding or restrictive. If it is let me know and again thanks

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

52 minutes ago, CoffeeBreak9To5 said:

Hello there. Let me just say thank you to everyone in advance for taking time to help me

Goal: Gaming, web browsing, MS Office, Skype, and uTorrent are basically all the things I use. For gaming I want 1080p max settings if possible and hoping for 60 FPS

Budget: $1000 (USA) Don't worry about tax as I live in a state with no sales tax

What I want to play: Everything

Other thoughts: If it's possible I'd love a black & white theme but please performance > looks. Only do this if it can fit in the budget and you aren't sacrificing performance. I'm okay going slightly over budget, but not my much please. 

I was thinking about going for a 2600x since I've heard it's probably the best in my range. I was also thinking about an RX 580 because I heard it's the king of 1080p gaming. I'm not hung up on either of those, though, just some thoughts.

I'm looking to hopefully order tonight to have parts in hand for Friday I hope. I do not want to wait several months to see what new Ryzens are going to bring. I also don't want talk about the F word for this build: future proofing. I just want what performs best now in games released this year or the end of last year.

I hope that is not too demanding or restrictive. If it is let me know and again thanks

I have just the build that checks off all your boxes, including theme:

So the 9400F is going to beat out the 2600x (even when it's OCed) by a decent margin in almost all games (see below for data) for a lower price. The 2060 should be perfect for maxing out most games (but not all) at 1080p60. The theme is black and white like you asked for (pictures below). 1TB of SSD storage should be great, and the build is just sexy :) 

benches.png

9a029eabd94935e7cb5ff3384cdab340.1600.jpg

5 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

The PSU known for random shutdowns... uh, no thank you. (Source)

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

The PSU known for random shutdowns... uh, no thank you. (Source)

As Luke has pointed out it only happened with the 2080 Ti and some other more powerful cards. SeaSonic is rectifying the issue for any users experiencing the issue and most of the pre-2018 models are not in stores anymore.

On these very forums it's still a tier A PSU and in this build it will not be an issue.

Just now, fantasia. said:

I'm really liking what you did here. My only suggestion is that you get a different PSU with maybe lower wattage to save some money.

Thanks! I threw in a RMx 650W because I've bought several RM850x PSUs in the past, and I really liked them.

Also, the RMx 550W is U$83, and the RMx 650W is just U$7 more, so I went with the higher wattage unit.

Just now, jerubedo said:

As Luke has pointed out it only happened with the 2080 Ti and some other more powerful cards. SeaSonic is rectifying the issue for any users experiencing the issue and most of the pre-2018 models are not in stores anymore.

Idk, I don't really like the SeaSonic Focus Gold anyways. It remains fanless up to 200W, while the RMx 650W is fanless up to 250W or something.

2 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

On these very forums it's still a tier A PSU and in this build it will not be an issue.

If I decided to make a PSU Tier List and put the VS650 in Tier S, does that make it a good PSU? This is why, at least I think, the PSU Tier List is meaningless.

10 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

If I decided to make a PSU Tier List and put the VS650 in Tier S, does that make it a good PSU? This is why, at least I think, the PSU Tier List is meaningless.

It was made by quite a few collaborators including Luke, Stefan, and LeinusLateTips who are all heavily into PSUs. It gives it some weight and a lot of people use it.

10 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Thanks! I threw in a RMx 650W because I've bought several RM850x PSUs in the past, and I really liked them.

Also, the RMx 550W is U$83, and the RMx 650W is just U$7 more, so I went with the higher wattage unit.

Ohhh ok that makes more sense.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

4 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

It was made by quite a few collaborators including Luke, Steven, and LeinusLateTips who are all heavily into PSUs. It gives it some weight and a lot of people use it.

To be honest, out of those people, Stefan is the only one I trust. Anyways, we're derailing this thread, so we might as well end this "arguement".

31 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

I have just the build that checks off all your boxes, including theme:

So the 9400F is going to beat out the 2600x (even when it's OCed) by a decent margin in almost all games (see below for data) for a lower price. The 2060X should be perfect for maxing out most games (but not all) at 1080p60. The theme is black and white like you asked for (pictures below). 1TB of SSD storage should be great, and the build is just sexy :) 

benches.png

9a029eabd94935e7cb5ff3384cdab340.1600.jpg

WOW that is amazing. YOu took the black and white thing very literally. Every part is both black and white lol. I didn't even know they made black/white RAM like that. I like the slashed white design on the motherboard too. And it's close to budget. I had no idea the 9400F existed lol. It beating an overclocked 2600x is crazy for that money. Thank you so much! I'll likely order all this in a few mins. 

Last question just to double check: the 2060 will do 60 FPS max settings? There's nothing higher that will fit into the budget?

1 minute ago, CoffeeBreak9To5 said:

Last question just to double check: the 2060 will do 60 FPS max settings? There's nothing higher that will fit into the budget?

Mostly. A notable exception will be Metro Exodus, but not even a 1080 Ti maintains 60 FPS at max settings on some maps, so you won't even do better by going up to the 2070 for that game. Also Assassin's Creed Odyssey, same story. Everything else should largely hit at least 60 FPS at Ultra and should do the same for max as well.  

27 minutes ago, CoffeeBreak9To5 said:

WOW that is amazing. YOu took the black and white thing very literally. Every part is both black and white lol. I didn't even know they made black/white RAM like that. I like the slashed white design on the motherboard too. And it's close to budget. I had no idea the 9400F existed lol. It beating an overclocked 2600x is crazy for that money. Thank you so much! I'll likely order all this in a few mins. 

He's notorious for cherry picking benchmarks to suit his views, in one of the benchmarks he linked, a dual core G4560 performs identically to a 9900k, along with numerous other inconsistencies.

Here's another option:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($164.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($93.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: HP - EX900 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($44.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.00 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($479.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Deepcool - DUKASE WHV2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.96 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($50.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1013.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-15 20:34 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

32 minutes ago, CoffeeBreak9To5 said:

Only a few fps improvement on average, it's a 2600x but you can oc the 2600 to match 2600x speeds.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

49 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

He's notorious for cherry picking benchmarks to suit his views, in one of the benchmarks he linked, a dual core G4560 performs identically to a 9900k, along with numerous other inconsistencies.

I don't cherry pick at all. Here's basically every source on the internet saying the same thing and showing the 8400 beating the 2600x and the 2700x in almost every single game:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-9600k-coffee-lake-cpu,5922-5.html

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12625/amd-second-generation-ryzen-7-2700x-2700-ryzen-5-2600x-2600/15

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_9600K/13.html

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Ryzen-7-2700X-and-Ryzen-5-2600X-Review-Zen-Matures/Gaming-Performance

These results are from Tom's Hardware, AnandTech, Tech Powerup, Pc Perspective, all well established and credible sources.

That result you're talking about with the Pentium performing identically to a 9900K DOES make sense because the game was 100% GPU bound where the GPU was bottlenecking all of the CPUs and hence they ALL performed the same. This happens in a few games out there, especially when resolutions get higher.

I'm sure if you tested Witcher 3 at 8K every processor on the planet (I'm exaggerating) would show the same performance.

6 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

I just spent about an hour fully reading everything he posted as well as watching the video you posted. I have to say I'm not seeing where anything was cherry picked. All 4 of the articles he linked all point to the 8400 performing better, and the video you posted only had the overclocked 2600x winning in Strange Brigade, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 2, and Assassin's Creed Odyssey. The other 14 games had the 9400f winning. And at the end he shows the 18 game average and the overclocked 2600x had the same 1% lows as the 9400f, but the 9400f won in averages. I also took a look on the AMD reddit and it seems like the 4.2 GHz used in the video is not achieveable for some people.

@Herman Mcpootis So am I missing something here? If I am please tell me. I want to be as informed in my decision as possible.

2 hours ago, jerubedo said:

I don't cherry pick at all. Here's basically every source on the internet saying the same thing and showing the 8400 beating the 2600x and the 2700x in almost every single game:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-9600k-coffee-lake-cpu,5922-5.html

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12625/amd-second-generation-ryzen-7-2700x-2700-ryzen-5-2600x-2600/15

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_9600K/13.html

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Ryzen-7-2700X-and-Ryzen-5-2600X-Review-Zen-Matures/Gaming-Performance

These results are from Tom's Hardware, AnandTech, Tech Powerup, Pc Perspective, all well established and credible sources.

That result you're talking about with the Pentium performing identically to a 9900K DOES make sense because the game was 100% GPU bound where the GPU was bottlenecking all of the CPUs and hence they ALL performed the same. This happens in a few games out there, especially when resolutions get higher.

I'm sure if you tested Witcher 3 at 8K every processor on the planet (I'm exaggerating) would show the same performance.

Thanks for this. Very informative. Can you fit a 2070 in your build somehow? @Herman Mcpootis did. Not sure how much better that would be.

21 minutes ago, CoffeeBreak9To5 said:

Thanks for this. Very informative. Can you fit a 2070 in your build somehow? Herman did. Not sure how much better that would be.

Yeah I can squeeze it in for close to the same price, but both his build and mine would be sacrificing the 1TB of SSD storage in favor of a 240GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. The great benefit to having a larger SSD is that you can house pretty much all your games on it, which has the benefit of huge load time reductions, and in some games reductions in texture pop-in. So with both you are giving that up. On a 240GB SSD you can basically only hold 2-3 big games, and 3-5 smaller games. The performance difference between the 2060 and 2070 is roughly 10% on average. You likely won't notice a difference in most games because you'll be above 60 FPS anyway, but it will make a small difference in Metro Exodus and Assassin's Creed Odyssey as I noted were lower performers above.

25 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Yeah I can squeeze it in for close to the same price, but both his build and mine would be sacrificing the 1TB of SSD storage in favor of a 240GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. The great benefit to having a larger SSD is that you can house pretty much all your games on it, which has the benefit of huge load time reductions, and in some games reductions in texture pop-in. So with both you are giving that up. On a 240GB SSD you can basically only hold 2-3 big games, and 3-5 smaller games. The performance difference between the 2060 and 2070 is roughly 10% on average. You likely won't notice a difference in most games because you'll be above 60 FPS anyway, but it will make a small difference in Metro Exodus and Assassin's Creed Odyssey as I noted were lower performers above.

This way I get the best processor, best video card, and keep the original tower and RAM because I like the look better. I found the 2070 with the same look as the 2060 you originally recommended. I feel like I can be OK with the 240 GB drive and nothing else. I'm fine uninstalling games after I finish them. holding 2-3 big ones or 3-5 larger ones sounds good to me.

2 minutes ago, CoffeeBreak9To5 said:

Yep. That works. If you feel 240GB is doable then go for it. It's basically my original build minus the CPU cooler, a reduced SSD, and a 2070 with the same color scheme. What's not to like?