Add a "account interaction" shortcut and main menu shortcut when not using full screen mode on PC

Bouzoo
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,
On 5/13/2019 at 8:46 PM, Bouzoo said:

Honestly I'm not sure if it did, recently I have been forced to split screen so I noticed it, figured it hadn't been implemented yet. It has been a long time since I used it. 

Unfortunately I come bearing bad news. The reason that it is broken is not a Chrome bug, it's actually an oversight in the CSS specification. A solution has been added to the latest version, but the latest version of the specification is not yet widely supported (including not on Chrome), and switching to the version that works at 767.5px would break the site at all resolutions for browsers that don't support it.

It is possible for IPS to fix it without the spec change, but a general fix would be a reasonable amount of work (and off the top of my head probably still not fix absolutely everything, just more things), so there's a reasonable chance that they will not implement it. I will ask them though.

For now, if you want to snap chrome to the side of the screen at 1.25x DPI and access the user menu, you'll need to resize the window by 1 pixel in either direction.

What I mean is to have those three lines (main account menu) options, as well as a shortcut to return to main window. It's available on phone, but not here. 

You can see there is no way to return from General discussion to main page except going back, and no way for me to check my notifications. 

image.png

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Are you scrolled to the top? At all times, either the desktop nav or the mobile top bar should be visible at the top of the page.

HTTP/2 203

11 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Are you scrolled to the top? At all times, either the desktop nav or the mobile top bar should be visible at the top of the page.

Yeah scrolled to the top, it is not there on latest Chrome, either one of those things on Win 10. Visible on phone and Mozilla on Win 10. Seems like a Chrome issue. Add blocker is disabled. 

If you open the dev tools (F12, console tab) and paste each of the following lines separately, pressing enter in between, what is the output of them (while the window is in the weird state)?

window.devicePixelRatio
$(window).width()

HTTP/2 203

11 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

If you open the dev tools (F12, console tab) and paste each of the following lines separately, pressing enter in between, what is the output of them (while the window is in the weird state)?

window.devicePixelRatio
$(window).width()

window.devicePixelRatio
$(window).width()

7 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

window.devicePixelRatio
$(window).width()

It should definitely be showing the mobile nav. If you clear your cache, does it still happen? If so, open the dev tools network tab, refresh the page, then once it's loaded scroll to the top of the network list and take a screenshot, then post it here.

HTTP/2 203

39 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

It should definitely be showing the mobile nav. If you clear your cache, does it still happen? If so, open the dev tools network tab, refresh the page, then once it's loaded scroll to the top of the network list and take a screenshot, then post it here.

Cache cleared you monster . 

Still happening. Is this it?

image.png.f3ba360a314ada1b03cb17ae69a8a13a.png

• 4 weeks later...

@Bouzoo just to check, is this still happening? The previous screenshot didn't show any issues, so the only thing I can think of is a weird browser issue.

HTTP/2 203

2 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

@Bouzoo just to check, is this still happening? The previous screenshot didn't show any issues, so the only thing I can think of is a weird browser issue.

Sadly, yes. Cleared all cache, reinstalled, did everything. You can see it on pic. Works perfectly on Mozilla. 

image.png

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

Sadly, yes. Cleared all cache, reinstalled, did everything. You can see it on pic. Works perfectly on Mozilla. 

OK, I can reproduce this, but only on Chrome WIndows at 1.25x DPI with the window at exactly 767px wide (= half a 1080p monitor with the scaling applied). It appears to be a Chrome bug.

Has it ever worked when snapping to the side on that display?

HTTP/2 203

3 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

OK, I can reproduce this, but only on Chrome WIndows at 1.25x DPI with the window at exactly 767px wide (= half a 1080p monitor with the scaling applied). It appears to be a Chrome bug.

Has it ever worked when snapping to the side on that display?

Honestly I'm not sure if it did, recently I have been forced to split screen so I noticed it, figured it hadn't been implemented yet. It has been a long time since I used it. 

On 5/13/2019 at 8:46 PM, Bouzoo said:

Unfortunately I come bearing bad news. The reason that it is broken is not a Chrome bug, it's actually an oversight in the CSS specification. A solution has been added to the latest version, but the latest version of the specification is not yet widely supported (including not on Chrome), and switching to the version that works at 767.5px would break the site at all resolutions for browsers that don't support it.

It is possible for IPS to fix it without the spec change, but a general fix would be a reasonable amount of work (and off the top of my head probably still not fix absolutely everything, just more things), so there's a reasonable chance that they will not implement it. I will ask them though.

For now, if you want to snap chrome to the side of the screen at 1.25x DPI and access the user menu, you'll need to resize the window by 1 pixel in either direction.

HTTP/2 203

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

you'll need to resize the window by 1 pixel in either direction.

Wow, just tried it, it really is broken for that 1 pixel. How bizarre.