nintendo switch broken? doom framerate awful

I recently picked up doom on the nintendo switch because i wanted to be able to play it at work on lunch break, but the framerate seems to hover between 15 and 20 fps or so, is my switch overheating in the dock? I already added a drop in cooling mod to the dock, the switch was bought used, so maybe it needs new thermal paste, if so, what do i go with?

I think it's a known issue with Doom on the switch, the framerate isn't very smooth. It may not be a cooling issue, especially if you have an extra cooling mod on the dock and playing in handheld mode makes no difference.

I don't think the switch is old enough to warrant replacing the thermal paste, you could try cleaning the fan from dust though. You can find guides on ifixit on how to open the switch and reach the fan, and if you really want to replacing the thermal paste (or even the fan if you think it may be broken) should be pretty easy from there.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

43 minutes ago, paulbean150 said:

I recently picked up doom on the nintendo switch because i wanted to be able to play it at work on lunch break, but the framerate seems to hover between 15 and 20 fps or so, is my switch overheating in the dock? I already added a drop in cooling mod to the dock, the switch was bought used, so maybe it needs new thermal paste, if so, what do i go with?

This is the performance you should bee getting:

Considering the hardware of the Switch, the game runs impressively well. Heck, the fact that it runs is a massive feet on itself. It is an old聽mobile chip afterall.

If you play the game at easier settings, you have less monsters, and so the game runs better.

And/or you can play the game in handheld mode which may run better, because despite the downclock, the screen resolution is 720p, and the smaller screen allows further pairing back visuals without聽noticing anything.

i blew the fan out a few times with an air duster, game now runs slightly better, though I seriously hope that bethesda and panic button continue to fix this, because this game is amazing and still goes high pricewise聽

12 minutes ago, paulbean150 said:

i blew the fan out a few times with an air duster, game now runs slightly better, though I seriously hope that bethesda and panic button continue to fix this, because this game is amazing and still goes high pricewise聽

Bethesada won't do anything. The game is made and the page has been turned. Panic Button is the only who can.. but they can only work with what was given to them, and budget by Bethesda. They can't, say, created lower polygon models that are more optimized making them look identical, but the reduction helps the game performance.聽

The good news is that if the rumors are true for a Switch Pro, and it is using the Tegra X2 chip, good chance the game willplay much better.

Here is a video showing what happens if you overclock the switch a bit higher:

And this excludes the fact that the memory bandwidth is limited on the Tegra X1 compared to the X2