Switching from W7 to Linux on a Netbook

I am about to install Linux (EasyPeasy) to a netbook, this will be my first time doing this kind of thing and my first time using Linux.

Any tips for a noob like me? :D

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Don't. i tried. i  wanted to use Linux for a month on my secondary pc and after 2 weeks (yesterday) i quited cause there where just too many problems.

recommend running linux in a virtual environment first before committing your netbook.

you can use virtualbox for this, it is free.

I am about to install Linux (EasyPeasy) to a netbook, this will be my first time doing this kind of thing and my first time using Linux.

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

recommend running linux in a virtual environment first before committing your netbook.

But it's a Netbook, I doubt it would be able to run a virtual machine with the normal OS as well....

What do you think Spaghetti?

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

But it's a Netbook, I doubt it would be able to run a virtual machine with the normal OS as well....

What do you think Spaghetti?

I'm not really sure to be honest. It's just a netbook I got from school, they never asked for it back. I don't really have anything to lose by doing this :P

Don't. i tried. i  wanted to use Linux for a month on my secondary pc and after 2 weeks (yesterday) i quited cause there where just too many problems.

eh, when switching to linux you have to be prepared to get in TryHard mode

linux is great and stuff, and geeks love to shit on windows, but if you just want to sit back on your chair, enjoy some stuff and take it easy, windows is the right choice

First tip would be to live boot your distro of choice on the machine you intend to use it on. This will tell you the most important things you need to know, which is if you are going to need to find a GPU driver for it and if the wireless card needs a driver.  For the most part, as a new linux user, just be sure you have access to google/bing/yahoo (or engine of your choice), as there are going to be things you won't know how to do, and the internet has the answers.

Also, it is far different than windows, so don't get discouraged. You will likely be using the command line more than you ever have in windows, so be prepared for that too. (It will also help if you know which distro your distro of choice is based on. The major ones are Debian, OpenSuse and Fedora). 

Live boot is better than VM for that actually. It will give direct access to the hardware, but make no changes to the data on the HDD (unless you do something stupid like format the HDD while running the liveboot os). Also easier on the hardware.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

Linux is terrible for anyone who isn't into networking or programming I had to use it for a few months it sucked ass nothing worked it took a half hour to figure out how to install something and half the stuff is nowhere near as good as windows.

Don't run at me with your freedom or speed boost crap until Linux can run a game or have some sort of coherent usability either.

So.... Is EasyPeasy any good?

Never used it, so can not say for sure. It is based off Ubuntu, so it can't be all that bad. 

Here is a review for more help (I claim no responsibility for the accuracy of this review. It was a simple google find) http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/easy-peasy-reviews/easy-peasy-linux-1-5/

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

Alright guys, thanks for all the help. I'm just going to jump in and give it a good go. What could possibly go wrong? :P

Alright guys, thanks for all the help. I'm just going to jump in and give it a good go. What could possibly go wrong? :P

I wish you luck in your venture. Linux is a good option (free is a big reason why). Just do not expect it to operate the same as windows. If you go into it with that mindset, you are going to be disappointed.   And do not be afraid to ask questions if you have them, we are happy to help.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just a bit of an update.

I have installed EasyPeasy to a USB, booted off the USB and am currently installing EasyPeasy to my netbook. It's actually really nice and although it's different to Windows, I don't find it any harder to use so far. I love how many options there are.

Cheers