Thermal Paste Degragation

This is a question regarding Thermal paste and what it does under load. I have a system rig with an Intel 6700K and a corsair H110i GTX as my CPU cooler. had this PC for quite a while now (about a span of four years). Recently I am getting high temperature readings while under load. But my history of high temperature is fairly recent. Previously I normally get consistent temperature readings (around the high 60 degrees C) whenever I run CPU heavy workloads. but now the temperature readings increase every time I run any CPU bound workloads (it gradually increases between 5~10 degrees C every time I run it under load).

I am able to reset the temperature readings back to previous levels by cleaning and re-applying a new set of thermal paste on the CPU. I cannot really pin-point out the cause of gradual increase of CPU temperature.

•  it can be the thermal paste but there is no way thermal degradation can be that bad.
  •  I am suspecting the Cooler but there is no way as it is still capable of cooling the CPU.
  •  It can be the CPU since I keep running it with high CPU loads and it may have degraded overtime, but can't explain after applying new thermal paste, temperature readings went back down to my previous high load temp readings.    

By the way the thermal paste I am using is cooler Master MasterGel Pro.

PS. I think I need to buy a much better thermal paste or compound. But would like to get some feedback on it.

It could very well be the AIO that is degrading.

If it were the paste it should be good for a year or two at least before showing increased temps.

It's possible the paste could be dried up from heat cycling. I would recommend Thermal Grizzly I have yet to see a GPU or CPU I've used it on where it's dried up 100%

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

It might be worth watching GamersNexus latest AIO tear-down in which they discuss liquid permeation and why coolers are usually limited to a 5 year warranty.  If you're coming up on 5 years then you may be suffering from the latter stages of that permeation which means you're running low on coolant in your loop.  

I believe Corsair offers 5 year warranties for the majority if not all of their coolers so I would contact them and describe your problem.  @Corsair Nick

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Yet another reason to lean towards powerful air coolers

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I think your issue lies with the AIO, as you stated, you have had the computer running for 4 years, and recently the issue has popped up. As Nick Name recently said on this post, there is Liquid Permeation on AIO's, and that is why they're usually only available for a 5 year warranty.

I suggest you check out your AIO, and get a replacement if possible. For your knowledge, Thermal Paste usually lasts you a solid year before you see temperature change.

- Pandesu

On 4/13/2019 at 6:05 AM, CISC2RISKY said:

This is a question regarding Thermal paste and what it does under load. I have a system rig with an Intel 6700K and a corsair H110i GTX as my CPU cooler. had this PC for quite a while now (about a span of four years). Recently I am getting high temperature readings while under load. But my history of high temperature is fairly recent. Previously I normally get consistent temperature readings (around the high 60 degrees C) whenever I run CPU heavy workloads. but now the temperature readings increase every time I run any CPU bound workloads (it gradually increases between 5~10 degrees C every time I run it under load).

I am able to reset the temperature readings back to previous levels by cleaning and re-applying a new set of thermal paste on the CPU. I cannot really pin-point out the cause of gradual increase of CPU temperature.

•  it can be the thermal paste but there is no way thermal degradation can be that bad.
  •  I am suspecting the Cooler but there is no way as it is still capable of cooling the CPU.
  •  It can be the CPU since I keep running it with high CPU loads and it may have degraded overtime, but can't explain after applying new thermal paste, temperature readings went back down to my previous high load temp readings.    

By the way the thermal paste I am using is cooler Master MasterGel Pro.

PS. I think I need to buy a much better thermal paste or compound. But would like to get some feedback on it.

Try removing the cooler and gently shaking the pump and radiator, then running the system with the pump facing the ceiling.  You might have a trapped air bubble in the system.  If that doesn't help with your temps, you can also work with out technical support staff to get a replacement through warranty.  All of our pumps come with a 5-year warranty.  You can submit a ticket through the link below:

https://support.corsair.com/

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

3 minutes ago, Corsair Nick said:

Try removing the cooler and gently shaking the pump and radiator, then running the system with the pump facing the ceiling.  You might have a trapped air bubble in the system.  If that doesn't help with your temps, you can also work with out technical support staff to get a replacement through warranty.  All of our pumps come with a 5-year warranty.  You can submit a ticket through the link below:

I knew this guy would help.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

AIO degradation...

My h60 has been gurgling for a while after I rock the case during a clean.

I was getting shitty max temps so delidded. Maybe it was the cooler.