RAM OC question

Is it safe to buy 2400 or 2666Mhz ram instead of 3200Mhz and OC it to 3000/3200Mhz?

yes but there is no guarantee that it will reach those speeds

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

yes but there is no guarantee that it will reach those speeds

@Bananasplit_00 Is it safe enough?

Just now, Ivan4o said:

@Bananasplit_00 Is it safe enough?

if it will reach 3000MHz or not is like picking the red ball from an unknown size of balls in random colours. maybe all of the balls are red, or maybe none, or maybe 50%. You have no way of knowing. I can say that it will likely reach 3000MHz but what the timings will be is another issue as they might result in worse performance because suddenly you are at like CL25 just to make it boot

Id probably get some 2666MHz and push it as far as i could if fast RAM was important to the build and 3200MHz was too expensive but RAM overclocking ranges in dificulty from "select the frequency and hit F10" to hours upon hours of messing about with RAM timings and settigns you havent even heard off to make it work.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2400 to 3200, i see that quite impossible.

If things were working the way you think.

Literally no one would buy 3200mhz ram.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

32 minutes ago, Ivan4o said:

Is it safe to buy 2400 or 2666Mhz ram instead of 3200Mhz and OC it to 3000/3200Mhz?

Perfectly safe. I have Hyper X DDR 4 at 2666Mhz CL15 and managed to clock it to 3000MHz at CL14 but I got lucky with the silicon lottery. Buildzoid at actually hardcore overclocking on YouTube did a recent video that covers overclocking a basic stick link is below.