Inexpensive capture card?

GigabitXe
Go to solution Solved by limegorilla,

Personally I would go for the AverMedia. it's been reviewed by a trusted source (as much as we can trust Linus anyway) and it's from a known brand. You also get the assurance that if its crap you can send it back.

I am looking for inexpensive HDMI capture card. Before you go and tell me that there is no such thing, please read on. I have been asked / I volunteered to live steam my school's graduation ceremony. I plan on using my Canon 60D with a external capture card to capture the video using the HDMI out on the 60D (I have Magic Lantern, so I can have a clean output), and an external microphone system (provided by the theater) to capture the audio. I have everything working for the stream, I am only asking about a capture card. I am looking for a capture card for less than $100 to do the job. The reason why I want to spend less than $100 is because I will only be using the device once a year during the graduation ceremony, so it is not really worth it for me to spend a lot of money. So, that being said, I have come up with two options. The first is the AVerMedia GL310, which Linus did a video on a long while back. It seems like a good option, and I can get a used one from Amazon Warehouse for about $83. The second option is this off brand thing that seems to have good reviews for $79. I like it because it is compact and sleek. However, after reading some of the reviews, many of them seem somewhat fake, as they seem to overly praise the product and all of them are 5 stars (very few 3 or 4 star reviews). 

What do you think I should do?

Please Quote or tag me @GigabitXe to make sure I see your reply. 

Personally I would go for the AverMedia. it's been reviewed by a trusted source (as much as we can trust Linus anyway) and it's from a known brand. You also get the assurance that if its crap you can send it back.

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

Just now, limegorilla said:

That's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the input. 

37 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

If 1080p at 30fps (or 1080i or 720p at 60fps) is your goal, then the AVerMedia should service you well enough.

If you want to do 1080p60, you will need to step up to a more expensive card.

1080p at 30fps is all I need as I am just capturing from a camera. Thanks for the input.