3D Printing

UrbanFreestyle

Hi all, so i think this is kind of tech-related but do any other members here have a 3d printer? what do you own and what do you use it for?

I have an Ender-3 and use it for prototyping car / pc mods as well as general hobby / home DIY projects.

1 minute ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

what do you own and what do you use it for?

I have a Dremel Idea Builder and I use it for home DIY projects.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Just now, r2724r16 said:

I have a Dremel Idea Builder and I use it for home DIY projects.

would love to see some of your prints! how do you like the Idea Builder?

Just now, That_Dutch_Guy said:

Wanhao Duplicator 4

I use it for all kinds of DIY projects

Great to hear! I love the look of the enclosed frame on those! do you have sides and door on there for printing ABS?

8 minutes ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

Great to hear! I love the look of the enclosed frame on those! do you have sides and door on there for printing ABS?

Yes, I don't do much ABS printing, but the seller threw them in as an apology after the first was DOA.

EDIT: It was likely DOA due to shipping damage, it arrived in pretty rough condition

Ender 3 , Prusa Mk 3 , CR10 , non of this lots "normi" printers seeing a Dremel Printer is like seeing a Mac Book owner in the overclocking section 

On 4/8/2019 at 6:23 AM, UrbanFreestyle said:

Hi all, so i think this is kind of tech-related but do any other members here have a 3d printer? what do you own and what do you use it for?

I have an Ender-3 and use it for prototyping car / pc mods as well as general hobby / home DIY projects.

I have a Prusa i3 MK2.5S and a Dagoma Neva. I do plan to get a Prusa MK3S and the MMU2S multimaterial-upgrade for it as well, but that's going to take quite a while longer, since I am unemployed and can't just throw money around without budgeting for the long-term, unfortunately. I do very much want the MMU2S for the ability of being able to use PVA for supports -- I have several much more complex projects in mind and they can't really be done without water-soluble supports.

What I use them for? Cases for my various electronics-projects, fixing things that are broken at home, printing useful items for use -- I don't really care about printing any toys or decorational items, I much rather use it for actual practical stuff. It's all been a great excuse for learning proper CAD-stuff, too, in Fusion 360. If you happen to care, I have posted pictures of two of my recent projects as status-updates.

On 4/8/2019 at 7:28 AM, UrbanFreestyle said:

do you think the Prusa is really worth the extra over other cheaper printers?

Yes.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Yes.

how so? is it the board and firmware or major differences? i love my ender 3, haven't printed much with it but those i have i have been happy with.

At the moment i havent learnt fusion or others but i feel i am doing quite well with Tinkercad ?

6 minutes ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

how so? is it the board and firmware or major differences? i love my ender 3, haven't printed much with it but those i have i have been happy with.

Quality-of-life stuff, like frequent firmware-updates, Slic3r already includes a wide range of profiles for a wide range of different filaments right out of the box, so there's no need for tuning for most of them, the magnetic springsheet is fabulous, the various safety-features that the latest models include, like e.g. detecting if filament is stuck and so on. It's not that one cannot print stuff with low-end printers, like e.g. my Neva can print stuff okay, but rather that e.g. the MK3S includes a whole range of extras that make it much safer in the long run and more stable -- even if you have a power-outage, it can continue the print right where it left off!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I don't have a printer at home but I have a HP Jet Fusion 3D 4200 in the lab.  Used for product development and prototyping. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

i ended up using a profile from Github and apart from the initial bed leveling it's been great. not sure about the bowden tube though

So great result! i have just had my first failed print! Initiation complete! total oversight on my part as i was printing narrow tall objects with no raft etc. 

i bought a $125 creality cr 10 mini to build a prusa clone blackout edition (300x300x300 build area).

gathering all the parts from new/used and globally.

will use the full mk3 bear upgrade extrusions

all printed parts PETG r3/4

E3D w/24v50w heater and bondtech clone

24v meanwell psu

dual mosfet controls for the bed and hot end

bigtreetech SKR Board V1.3 (32-bit) with tmc2208/drv8825

rpi b3+ octoprint with touchscreen

at least the plan is..

14 hours ago, airdeano said:

i bought a $125 creality cr 10 mini to build a prusa clone blackout edition (300x300x300 build area).

24v meanwell psu

at least the plan is..

Please post a build log for that!

14 hours ago, airdeano said:

24v meanwell psu

at least the plan is..

I'd love to make my own 3D-printer as well, so I totally approve of this plan. I can't afford to make my own, though, so I'll just opt to vicariously live through other people's efforts -- do post a project here on the forums, if you do get around to building yours!