[Floatplane] Unofficial Roku/tvOS/AndroidTV Channel

On 7/10/2021 at 11:51 PM, Delicioussandwiches said:

Sideloaded 1.3.2 APK onto Google TV (Bravia X90J).

I can authenticate and sign in, but the app crashes immediately upon opening.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Did it crash immediately after logging in? In the video, it looks like you've already authenticated (as you mentioned) -- first it should grab all the creators you're subscribed to and then it will grab the latest 20 videos for each. Without logs, however, I can't really do more than guess as to what could be the issue.

Do you have ADB (Android Debug Bridge) installed, by chance? If so, you should be able to follow this to enable debugging and connect. From there, run:

adb logcat > logcat.txt

Open the app once the command is running, wait for it to crash, and then close the terminal/command prompt window. From there, look for any errors, identified by the following (notice the capital E, which stands for error) toward the end of logcat.txt and either report them here/Discord, or PM me (preferred option as output may contain sensitive cookies/tokens used for account/content authentication):

07-11 21:56:26.208  4580  4745 E Volley  : [319] NetworkUtility.shouldRetryException: Unexpected response code 404 for https://example.com

• 2 months later...

No longer working 😞 says "livestream not found" on every video. Hope it gets fixed, I don't use chromecast so there is really no other way to get floatplane on my tv 😞

I'm dutch, so feel free to correct any spelling mistakes I might make.  I try to do the best I can!

Spoiler

CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K GPU: Asus ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI PSU: Corsair HX1000 V2 MEM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz  COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500gb +1tb NVME / Samsung 840EVo 1tb / HGST Ultrastar 10tb

9 hours ago, Delano.888 said:

No longer working 😞 says "livestream not found" on every video. Hope it gets fixed, I don't use chromecast so there is really no other way to get floatplane on my tv 😞

Just pushed an update, precompiled APK is available on Github, per usual. 

Let me know if there's any issues.

• 1 month later...

New update, 1.3.5, for AndroidTV is available via GitHub -- fixes an issue where, under specific circumstances, a value would be added to an ArrayList at index 1 when 0 did not yet exist, causing the channel to crash. Big thanks to Sherlock in the Discord for providing logs!

• 4 weeks later...

As an update/reminder, the old version of Hydravion on Roku, per recent changes on Roku's behalf, will expire in roughly 40 days. The OP has been updated with the current link to the release on the Roku channel store. It can also be found by searching said channel store for "Hydravion". 

I was going to add a popup notifying users to the existing beta channel, but their dev portal won't let me publish the update for whatever reason. Will continue looking into it. 🙃

• 1 month later...

The old private channel code for Roku is now gone; beta period is up! The actual release is available via the channel store.

Updated info in the OP about tvOS. TL-DR -- Jamamp (Jman012) has written a very nice client. If you have an Apple TV, you should go check it out!

• 1 month later...

Update: The Apple TV app is on the app store! Search "linustechtips" or "Wasserflug" in order to find it. It's free, logging in should not be too complicated, and it'll keep track of watch history!

• 1 month later...

I just found this, and this is epic. Just got a chromecast with google tv, and now I can just browse Floatplane on my TV. Nice.
Would be nice if Luke got in contact with the dev, maybe invite him to the WAN show (or hire him 😉 )

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for keeping this alive. I just got an Apple TV and was worried I would have to AirPlay Floatplane videos. I hope Floatplane starts talks with you about making an official app. You're saving lives out here. 

• 1 month later...

Doesn't work on my Fire TV. Says INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK. My Fire Stick is running Fire OS 5.2.9.0 and says it's up to date. I tried Hydravion 1.4.6 and 1.4.4. I guess I'll keep my money until Floatplane decides to stop treating streaming device users like plebs and offers a proper app.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone else having an issue watching the live stream through Hydravion on Roku?  Any time I try to click "Watch Stream" it gives an error "insufficientSubscriptionLevelError - You do not have the necessary subscription to access the stream".  I have an active monthly subscription and can watch the stream on my PC so not sure what's up.

On 4/14/2023 at 9:01 PM, DrComputer said:

Anyone else having an issue watching the live stream through Hydravion on Roku?  Any time I try to click "Watch Stream" it gives an error "insufficientSubscriptionLevelError - You do not have the necessary subscription to access the stream".  I have an active monthly subscription and can watch the stream on my PC so not sure what's up.

An unintended bug caused by the adoption of channels. If you select the main listing (left) rather than channel (right) for LTT, it should work. 

I haven't been able to work on the fix just yet, but such will be present whenever the next update is pushed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Gave the Android TV version a spin on my nvidia shield. Worked fine for about 5 minutes, then it stopped playback of the video suddenly. Then I got a popup saying my credentials had expired and wanted me to retype the username and password again.

Didn't try entering in the credentials again since it's just too tedious 😅

On 4/15/2023 at 9:56 PM, bmlzootown said:

An unintended bug caused by the adoption of channels. If you select the main listing (left) rather than channel (right) for LTT, it should work. 

I haven't been able to work on the fix just yet, but such will be present whenever the next update is pushed. 

Thank you, this worked.  Looking forward to the update!

• 2 months later...