Should I wait or build?

I would like to know whether I should wait for zen 2 to launch before I build my PC or should I just upgrade at a later time?

I have never owned a PC but keen on building my own. I will be using it for gaming and some video and photo editing in the future.

I will be looking to build it around mid-may (when my paycheck comes in) but with a budget of around £1250 (which will include peripherals and a monitor) although i can stretch my budget if i need to.

Any help or advice is welcome

thanks 

Wait two months, there may be something in Zen 2 that catches your eye, and if not the 2xxx chips will go down in price because of the new launch.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Yeah, if it was me I would wait at least until we get official confirmation of what Zen 2 looks like in terms of price, core counts etc

If Zen 2 is confirmed to be all that it's rumoured to be then I would build a system with one of those new CPUs.

If it turns out to be a bit disappointing then I would probably save a bit of cash by going with the now discounted (and probably further discounted by that point) 1st gen Ryzen. The value there really does seem pretty great.

Normally I would say don't bother waiting as there is always something just around the corner. However, when new tech is expected in a month or two, a wait is only prudent.

Don't count of upgrading a cpu, it is very rarely worth it. In most cases by the time one is ready for such an upgrade it makes more sense to go with a new cpu, motherboard, and sometimes other components.

Since your budget includes peripherals, you might also consider saving a bit more before making a purchase.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.