Game Developers Choose AMD Over Intel For Gaming.

TechFan@ic

Thanks, but I've meant the PS4 using all 8 cores for gaming.

Sony was making fun of Microsoft in a tweet and mentioned that all PS4 resources are reserved for gaming right after that Kotaku article went live.

Which makes sense because the 2 reserved cores and the memory on the XBOXONE are allocated to the media consumption aspects of the device and Microsoft made it clear from the beginning that the xbox isn't a device focused on gaming, unlike the PS4.

If you watch the PS4 press release video The PS4 has 2 possessors. The AMD 8 core and then a dual core chip which handles the OS and other background processes. This leads me to speculate that the PS4 has more than 8Gb or RAM because technically the dual core chip will need its own bank of memory.

Theoretically that could be 2 Gb of "system" memory for the dual core chip and then the 8Gb Gddr5 "Unified Memory" for the APU.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

About the PS4:

6 of the 8 cores are available for developers. 4.5GB of 8GB too ("However, other sources close to Sony indicate that developers can request up to an additional gigabyte of "flexible memory", and use it to boost elements of the game - but only if the background OS can spare it").

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory

It looks like XBox One and PS4 are on par.

• 8 months later...

It's to be expected anyway, due to the fact that the next-gen consoles are solely running on AMD hardware.

so intel would go in a diff path or follow more cores architecture?

No, not really, future proofing here applies very well for a number of reasons. 1- The fact that the FX 8350 has 8 cores & only 4 of them are sufficiently loaded in various games, this basically means that you're only using 50% of the CPU's potential, next gen games will support 8 cores thus giving you 50% more performance on your CPU. That's assuming that all current games support 4 cores, which isn't true, most MMORPGs like WoW & TERA only use 2 cores & games that utilize the bethesda engine also only use 2 cores (Skyrim, Fallout3). We also have games that support 6 cores but not very well, like Battlefield 3 & games that support up to 8 cores also not very well like Crysis 3. 2-The fact that the 3570K is on a dead platform (1155 socket) & no future CPUs are going to be compatible with that socket, unlike the FX 8350 which uses the AM3+ socket which AMD is committed to support for at least two more generations (Steamroller & Excavator) giving you much greater future upgradability.

this is a personal conflict to me rather than on the internet !! because I want to buy gaming parts and I have to decide which CPU. Because it's the base for the motherboard.

So, one said that AMD cores; like 6300 are weaker cores compared to 4670k, is this info correct?

Also, you said that games support 6 or 8 cores not very well, what does it mean. Do you mean weaker cores like the info I got?

necro?

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green