High Voltage Low Temps Affect CPU Life Span?

_Hustler_One_

Hi everyone..

Today I was surprised by what I found related to my PC and weather in area where I live.

After all of the CPU stress tests I did with Windows 10 Weather always shows the temps in my area between 33C high and 25C low, so I assume my room temps is also low, roughly 26C. I'm a tropical guy so my body have no problem with warm-hot climate.

Today I checked the actual room temps after my wife bought a convensional room thermometer in sake of our baby comfort, I found that my room temp is actually 30C! Including the room where my PC is.

20190406_124745_003.thumb.jpg.046017dbf20e92f2597a56b13bb6d3e8.jpg

After knowing this, compared to others who has 20-25C ambient temps, I thought my PC air cooling system actually works wonder, as it can sustain 5GHz/1.34v/77C average temps and spikes up to 83C, with 1500 rpm both cooler fan and system fan speed under 30C room temp for 2 hours stress test in Realbench, inside a PC case which is well known to have bad air flow.

996869027_RealbrnchStressTest2hr5.0GHz1.34v26CAmbientLMKryonautDelid50RPM.thumb.jpg.b29fc46773e7c55c0f1c0f281a85f6e0.jpg

The limiting factor to go even higher performance in this conditions is actually the weather/climate (tropical region), and I know my GPU is also the biggest bottleneck for 5GHz OC 8700K and when for gaming, but I don't see any reasons to upgrade my GPU in the near future, because it performs better than I expected for my 1080p 144hz gaming needs. I highly overclock my CPU for my job needs, it helps me process data significantly faster, so my PC is actually still a powerhouse overall.

Questions:

1. How high is voltage can still be safe for CPU when we OC it even if the temps is still within safe limit with air cooler?

Like for example in an extreme OC with LN, high voltage with low temps, but how is the CPU life span even with low temps but high voltage?

Is it the temps or the voltage which affect the most in reducing CPU life span?

2. This might look as a stupid question but, how to control ambient temps without using AC?

We don't use AC because of reasons..

I look for a chance to get additional OC headroom by lowering room temps without having an AC. Lol

Thanks in advance..

Have a great day!

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

1. I think 1.4V is considered safe margin, with 1.35V being point after which cons outweigh pros. On Intel CPUs. For lifespan both temps and voltages will have effect. But consider that 80C is what Intel is expected to run at anyway, volts being around 1.3V.

Furthermore, lifespan for CPU is 5-10 years, +-3 years. You notice that it's aging more from the fact that you can't hold high clocks with same volts any longer. As for LN, those CPUs aren't expected to last. They are for breaking records.

2. Have air moving constantly. Room/house temp isn't that different from your case temp. You bring cool air in and move hot out. As that might not work with temps being hotter outside, your options are quite limited. Some whole-room water cooling thing could work. With cool thermal mass being located in place where it cools down rather than heats up.

This is essentially how heating works in here. With local power plant pumping their cooling water to heat up radiators in area.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

As for LN, those CPUs aren't expected to last.

In this case, the temps is at sub zero but the voltage is crazy high, and if the CPU won't last long under this condition, so I assume that the voltage is the main factor in decreasing the CPU lifespan than the temps as the sub zero temps wont kill CPU, no?

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Some whole-room water cooling thing could work. With cool thermal mass being located in place where it cools down rather than heats up.

The reason behind the 2nd questions is because I'm very curious how is my current CPU temps with this current setup if I have 20C room temp like other people, but I can't have that condition at the moment.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

1 hour ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

In this case, the temps is at sub zero but the voltage is crazy high, and if the CPU won't last long under this condition, so I assume that the voltage is the main factor in decreasing the CPU lifespan than the temps as the sub zero temps wont kill CPU, no?

High volts are main reason. Low temps doesn't really matter with electronics AFAIK.

The reason behind the 2nd questions is because I'm very curious how is my current CPU temps with this current setup if I have 20C room temp, but I can't have that condition at the moment.

Maybe 5-10C down. Usually it's 1C room temp = 1C. But with cooling components, it doesn't always work that way.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv