A small fire on my mobo for the last couple years?

f2bacon
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
8 hours ago, f2bacon said:

Windows 10 pro 64bit
 nzxt h440 case
gigabyte gtx 1060 3gb windforce
Amd fx-8150
nzxt kraken x52 240mm aio

24gb ddr3 1600 ram 
the motherboard shows up as a gigabyte 2ac8 but the code in the inside is m3970bm

Not much point spending money on an old system like that. Better off putting the money you would spend towards a new system.
Keep the graphics card, the case, and the AIO cooler. Sell the CPU and the DDR3 RAM. Dispose of the dead motherboard and damaged PSUs.

Buy a new CPU, motherboard, RAM (DDR4), and PSU. I would also recommend an SSD if you don't already have one for windows.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor $128.80 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $76.31 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $77.99 @ Newegg
Storage Kingston - A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $28.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $39.88 @ OutletPC
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $366.97
  Mail-in rebates -$15.00
  Total $351.97
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-06 11:55 EDT-0400  
10 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Not much point spending money on an old system like that. Better off putting the money you would spend towards a new system.

I don't really have the money for all that kinda stuff. I paid less than that for the case, gpu, aio, and psu all together.
also i dont think my cpu has ever given me problems. it doesnt really hit high load.
I have 3 separate psus, I wasn't hoping to get another one. Maybe in time if I get a good deal on a fully modular one now I see a major reason for one. I could just get 1 new cable instead of a whole new unit.

I'm not having much luck finding a used am3+ board I can get today, I was sorta dreading having to pop into microcenter and pay way too much for something, and at that point I'd rather get all those new parts.

I do have solid state drives though, 3 of them. Over time I could change out my mobo and ram and cpu but I just need to be able to get up and running asap for cheap. I'll definitely save that list though

Microcenter actually has the ryzen 5 for $80 and the asrock board you said for $70, with a $30 rebate if I get both. I'll get some cheap ram cause i can add more later for cheap

2 hours ago, f2bacon said:

Microcenter actually has the ryzen 5 for $80 and the asrock board you said for $70, with a $30 rebate if I get both. I'll get some cheap ram cause i can add more later for cheap

If you can afford that, then that sounds like a good deal. $80 for a Ryzen 5 though? That's crazy cheap! Which one is it?

If you're on a tight budget then the Ryzen 3 1200 and only 8GB of RAM (maybe upgrading later) would be a good start, and at least let you a PC back up and running again.
With the changed CPU & RAM, and dropping the SSD since you already have SSDs, you can get it down to about $250 USD. (Check prices at stores near you, but just take this as an example)
Don't forget you may even be able to sell your old CPU & DDR3 memory as well, so that might help you out with a bit of cash.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor $74.02 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $76.31 @ Amazon
Memory Team - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $50.88 @ OutletPC
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $39.88 @ OutletPC
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $256.09
  Mail-in rebates -$15.00
  Total $241.09
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-06 14:47 EDT-0400  

2 hours ago, f2bacon said:

I have 3 separate psus, I wasn't hoping to get another one. Maybe in time if I get a good deal on a fully modular one now I see a major reason for one. I could just get 1 new cable instead of a whole new unit.

You don't have 3 PSUs. You have 3 broken PSUs.

11 hours ago, f2bacon said:

in 2015 i got the evga 430w, a month ago i got a "silencer 750w", and a week ago i got the scorpio 535w.

Not entirely familiar with those, but I don't believe any of those are modular.
The EVGA 430W (I'm guessing W1?) is non-modular.
The Raidmax Scorpio 535W is semi-modular, with a fixed EPS12V (CPU) cable.
The only "Silencer 750W" I can find is a OCZ Silencer 750W from more than a decade ago, so I hope that wasn't what you were using...

Even if they were modular and you could replace the CPU cable, you would have no way of knowing if the PSUs were damaged internally. And honestly they're all junk and shouldn't be used anyway, and double so if it has been damaged in such a way as your units have been. I'd hate for you to spend all your money on a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc and then end up frying the new hardware you bought cause you used one of those damaged PSUs.

Oh, and to answer an question you had earlier - In regards to the Windows key and the motherboard swap - If your Windows 10 account/key is tied to your Microsoft email account, then when you boot in to windows on the new machine it should activate the license off the key registered to your Microsoft email account.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450