New Build Help (sort of)

Still saving money but hopefully in the next week or two I can order this computer

My question is it worth going from a

i5 9600k with 32GB ram at - $3437

to a

i7 9700k with 16GB ram at - $3548

The ram is $179 for 2x8 gb sticks

(I know going an 8700K will be better than an I5 but it is $90 less than the 9700K and I could OC the I5 to even 4.8Ghz)

This computer will be used for Gaming, Video Creation, Microsoft Office, Small Uni work in Autodesk (And classroom Autodesk work when I become a Teacher - so creating small objects or parts with a max of 10 separate objects when at home and on my laptop inside of the classroom)

Its in Australian Pricing so things seem quite expensive and I do kind of want to order though this company as I have ordered through them before and they do the full assembly for $149   (Pc Case Gear)

I5 9600K

image.png.7c42a8a1c79bc77a571fff9c6bed0184.png

I7 9700K

image.png.aa42efc3a89c30e1ad573d32cda9ae52.png

Just now, Flawizz said:

9700k imo 32g is a a bit too much

yeah but i have noticed sometimes with my i5 4760? (i think) that the ram gets eaten up when doing tasks in chrome and autodesk (same time) - current computer has 16Gb ram

Also the I7 option is 100+ dollars more and if i go the i5 with 16Gb ram its nearly a $300 saving

I agree with the i7-9700k and if you notice that you need more ram you can always upgrade at a later point in time, buying a second cpu because the first one isn't cutting it would be very expensive if you ask me. One other suggestion, use a NVMe SSD instead of a SATA SSD if you're spending this kind of money on a build. Improvement is definitely noticeable and I would recommend everyone who has the option to get one (or 2 in raid 0). 

Make sure to Mark solved, makes it much easier for someone who finds the topic with the same problem to find the solution!

Disclaimer: anything I say might be wrong, I'm just a human being and can make mistakes. Do your own research!

Make sure to quote me so I get a notification, can't help you if I don't get a notification...

idk if it works, but u can add a stick of 8 later, making it 24g, and u still have the 9700k :)

3 minutes ago, Dioneyesos said:

I agree with the i7-9700k and if you notice that you need more ram you can always upgrade at a later point in time, buying a second cpu because the first one isn't cutting it would be very expensive if you ask me. One other suggestion, use a NVMe SSD instead of a SATA SSD if you're spending this kind of money on a build. Improvement is definitely noticeable and I would recommend everyone who has the option to get one (or 2 in raid 0). 

One like this?

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/44706/adata-xpg-sx6000-pro-m-2-nvme-ssd-1tb

Its $40 more and im a bit unsure if the Motherboard supports it (i'm not very good with the Hardware side of things)

5 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

One like this?

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/44706/adata-xpg-sx6000-pro-m-2-nvme-ssd-1tb

Its $40 more and im a bit unsure if the Motherboard supports it (i'm not very good with the Hardware side of things)

Yea something like that. Personally I would go with the Samsung 970 Evo Plus. If I'm not mistaken they're the fastest and most reliable we got at this point in time. I do see the thing is overpriced as hell in that store tho...

Your motherboard supports NVMe drives, just like every decent board you can buy these days :)  

Make sure to Mark solved, makes it much easier for someone who finds the topic with the same problem to find the solution!

Disclaimer: anything I say might be wrong, I'm just a human being and can make mistakes. Do your own research!

Make sure to quote me so I get a notification, can't help you if I don't get a notification...

Just now, Dioneyesos said:

Yea something like that. Personally I would go with the Samsung 970 Evo Plus. If I'm not mistaken they're the fastest and most reliable we got at this point in time. I do see the thing is overpriced as hell in that store tho...

Your motherboard supports NVMe drives, just like every decent board you can buy these days :)  

its $329 for the 970, yeah most Australian prices are overpriced as hell to begin with, then stores need to make some money so it is even more overpriced 

I would love to spend less than $3600 including the $100 for shipping, but I can spend more if need be, just means i cannot get any extras for it :) 

4 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

its $329 for the 970, yeah most Australian prices are overpriced as hell to begin with, then stores need to make some money so it is even more overpriced 

I would love to spend less than $3600 including the $100 for shipping, but I can spend more if need be, just means i cannot get any extras for it :) 

I would definitely go for a NVMe drive, doesn't matter which one, they'll most likely all be faster then any SATA drive you could find.

Maybe try leaving a few things out that you could order later so you can get your build asap, use it, add features later down the line. That's what I did with mine. For example, I started with 8GB of RAM, now I'm up to 24GB and the next 8 coming in the mail tomorrow or next week. 

In your case you could leave out the USB card, add that in next month after you get pain for example. This of course is a decision you have to make for yourself, no one but you can say what he needs from the beginning and what can wait a month or two. 

6 minutes ago, Dioneyesos said:

I would definitely go for a NVMe drive, doesn't matter which one, they'll most likely all be faster then any SATA drive you could find.

Maybe try leaving a few things out that you could order later so you can get your build asap, use it, add features later down the line. That's what I did with mine. For example, I started with 8GB of RAM, now I'm up to 24GB and the next 8 coming in the mail tomorrow or next week. 

In your case you could leave out the USB card, add that in next month after you get pain for example. This of course is a decision you have to make for yourself, no one but you can say what he needs from the beginning and what can wait a month or two. 

ok, i'll keep that in mind, Probably keep the USB cards as both together cost $78 and isn't that much of a dint to the overall price, i'll keep tinkering with it and see what i can come up with

33 minutes ago, Dioneyesos said:

I fully agree. I have never looked back from getting mine. I would recommend, however, getting a 250GB NVMe for Windows, a 500GB / 1TB SSD for fast storage, and then your mechanical stuff. If your spending to get a TB of space for one of these it adds up quick.

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

1 minute ago, limegorilla said:

I fully agree. I have never looked back from getting mine. I would recommend, however, getting a 250GB NVMe for Windows, a 500GB / 1TB SSD for fast storage, and then your mechanical stuff. If your spending to get a TB of space for one of these it adds up quick.

I kind of wanted to keep all installed programs on one drive (my current computer has 500gb ssd and is about 40Gb from being full with 12TB of HDD storage, 1+1+4TB 3.5" drives in a JBOD style which is 100GB from being full and a 6Tb external desktop HDD which is 250ish GB from being full. which is why i wanted to get the 2 x 8TB HDD's and i am replacing the 1TB  drive with the 4Tb drive in my current computer (included that as they will wire it in for $56 and all i have to do is remove it and add the other in)

Just now, WickedStarfish said:

I kind of wanted to keep all installed programs on one drive (my current computer has 500gb ssd and is about 40Gb from being full with 12TB of HDD storage, 1+1+4TB 3.5" drives in a JBOD style which is 100GB from being full and a 6Tb external desktop HDD which is 250ish GB from being full. which is why i wanted to get the 2 x 8TB HDD's and i am replacing the 1TB  drive with the 4Tb drive in my current computer (included that as they will wire it in for $56 and all i have to do is remove it and add the other in)

In that case, get the 250GB one for Windows (annoyingly there is not a 120GB option for the drive unless you get the slower 850 Evo)

I would then personally get a 2TB SSD (or it actually might work out cheaper to get two 1TB drives, then 'pool' them together in Windows, but I might be wrong) - have this for all your programs (not games. The storage they require makes it just better to keep them on the HDD. Talking of which)

Then make up as much storage as you want with a HDD.

Thats the way I go. For reference I have a 250GB Samsung 960 Pro, 2TB worth of Samsung SSDs in RAID (via mobo) for programs, then a on-network server running FreeNas with 20TB of storage. This is connected to my computer over the network, and contains my media library, most things from my Downloads folder, and my Games library.

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

I did want to get it through PCCG as they offer a building service where they build it, (lasty time I build I had a motherboard issue and after a month my GPU fried itself) so if they build it and something goes wrong i just send it back with the message WTF and they fix it.  looking at PCCG they have 3 of the 9 items listed (also wanted to get 2x 8Tb Hdd's) and i think a 2080 would be overkill considering im using 2 x 60Hz 1080p monitors and only one screen will be playing games while the other watches videos or is displaying my xbox.   Also kind of wanted to keep the Cpu cooler as I am using an AIO and it gives better cooling of the Cpu than the 2 air coolers I had before it and the A40 seems to give the best of both worlds as the fan on the pump cools parts surrounding the Cpu and I kind of wanted to give it a try