Need a cpu cooler for my core v1.

YuppityYap

Okay, so i need a cpu cooler for my thermaltake core v1. It has a maximum of an 140mm cpu cooler. I would like to have one that can hit high overclocks on my 8600k(hopefully around 4.7ghz or higher) i would prefer it to be under $60 and be relatively quiet, however i live in a noisy area so if performance is insanely good i can deal with a noisy cooler.do you guys have any suggestions?

Sadly the noctua nh u14s does not work, it has reviews saying it makes a hdd noise/rattling when the motherboard is mounted horizontally.

Edit:u14s isnt even 140mm idk what i was thinking

Where are you shopping / located? What ram are you using?

Which review are you referring to? The NH-U14S only has the fan as a moving part and a horizontal mounted motherboard wouldn't make any difference over a vertically mounted one. Any hdd noise would come from a.. hdd. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

12 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Which review are you referring to? The NH-U14S only has the fan as a moving part and a horizontal mounted motherboard wouldn't make any difference over a vertically mounted one. Any hdd noise would come from a.. hdd. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/3hzmxo/troubleshooting_rattling_noise_with_noctua_nhu14s/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/my-noctua-nh-d14-is-making-a-weird-noise-sounds-like-an-hdd-doing-its-thing-or-a-low-rattle.1752755/

Just search up "noctus nh u14s rattling noise" should pop up. Im located in the U.S. im not sure if it would make a difference vertical or horizontal but one of the reviews said it only occured when mounted horizontal

19 minutes ago, Volts2545 said:

Noctua is the best cooler on the planet

There are a lot of noctuas

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Also i read the specs in he u14s wrong anyway, the fan is 140mm not the actually heatsink

1 hour ago, YuppityYap said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/3hzmxo/troubleshooting_rattling_noise_with_noctua_nhu14s/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/my-noctua-nh-d14-is-making-a-weird-noise-sounds-like-an-hdd-doing-its-thing-or-a-low-rattle.1752755/

Just search up "noctus nh u14s rattling noise" should pop up. Im located in the U.S. im not sure if it would make a difference vertical or horizontal but one of the reviews said it only occured when mounted horizontal

The culprit is almost always narrowed down to being the hdd or another fan and not the heatsink when a user describes the heatsink as rattling.

The issue in the both threads were never isolated and resolved. 

Some fans have issues with being mounted horizontally but not NF-A15's. I think the people who made those threads had assumed that was the cause and not something else in the system. Also, the motherboard being horizontal results in the fan on the NH-U14S to being vertical. 

If you want alternative suggestions, tell us where are you shopping / located and what ram are you using.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

48 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The culprit is almost always narrowed down to being the hdd or another fan and not the heatsink when a user describes the heatsink as rattling.

The issue in the both threads were never isolated and resolved. 

Some fans have issues with being mounted horizontally but not NF-A15's. I think the people who made those threads had assumed that was the cause and not something else in the system. Also, the motherboard being horizontal results in the fan on the NH-U14S to being vertical. 

If you want alternative suggestions, tell us where are you shopping / located and what ram are you using.

I live in the u.s im using hyperx predator rgb ram and i will shop at any trusted retailer(even microcenter,but they have no good cpu air Coolers in my area)

3 minutes ago, YuppityYap said:

I live in the u.s im using hyperx predator rgb ram and i will shop at any trusted retailer(even microcenter,but they have no good cpu air Coolers in my area)

The NH-U9S is good: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FcfmP6/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu9s

39 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

After doing some thread plowing i have found out something. The whole 140mm is a fluke. People have fit up to 155mm(there was some bending but if it fits it fits) coolers in there. 140mm could be to be 100% sure that the cooler fits but my scythe fuma will fit fine in it.  Some people (i think this would be pretty clever if true ) think thermaltake said its 140mm to sell more of their thermaltake frio 12s which is a cheap good price to performance air cooler that is exactly 140mm.

21 hours ago, YuppityYap said:

Okay, so i need a cpu cooler for my thermaltake core v1. It has a maximum of an 140mm cpu cooler. I would like to have one that can hit high overclocks on my 8600k(hopefully around 4.7ghz or higher) i would prefer it to be under $60 and be relatively quiet, however i live in a noisy area so if performance is insanely good i can deal with a noisy cooler.do you guys have any suggestions?

Sadly the noctua nh u14s does not work, it has reviews saying it makes a hdd noise/rattling when the motherboard is mounted horizontally.

Edit:u14s isnt even 140mm idk what i was thinking

beQuiet Pure Rock Slim

Enermax N30-TAA (something like that...it's a 92mm tower with a blue LED fan)

Cryorig M9i

Anything Noctua that fits

The first three are coolers I used in my V1. All are capable of decent overclocks, especially on an i5. Anything Noctua is self explanatory. If you're ok with running topless, bigger coolers like the Cryorig H7 fit just fine. IIRC, the H7 almost fits with the top on, but it's just a bit too tall.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

On 4/5/2019 at 5:49 PM, aisle9 said:

beQuiet Pure Rock Slim

Enermax N30-TAA (something like that...it's a 92mm tower with a blue LED fan)

Cryorig M9i

Anything Noctua that fits

The first three are coolers I used in my V1. All are capable of decent overclocks, especially on an i5. Anything Noctua is self explanatory. If you're ok with running topless, bigger coolers like the Cryorig H7 fit just fine. IIRC, the H7 almost fits with the top on, but it's just a bit too tall.

I was running a topless mini itx case before .... my cat peed in it

On 4/5/2019 at 6:09 PM, hello_there_123 said:

deepcool lucifer

Yeah im just gonna shove a 168mm cooler in a 140mm cpu cooler case 

12 hours ago, YuppityYap said:

I was running a topless mini itx case before .... my cat peed in it

Sounds like you need a new cat.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

On 4/11/2019 at 9:55 AM, aisle9 said:

Sounds like you need a new cat.

He's my roomates, he's not allowed in my room anymore