I installed windows on SSD, formatted HDD, but theres still 2 boot options?

Kilage

I recently got an ssd for my laptop and I couldn't clone the drive since the hdd was 1tb and the ssd was only 500gb. I fresh installed and got everything working good, formatted the hdd and when I restarted, it still said there were 2 windows 10 to boot from. How to I remove it?

Just choose the right one to boot from and that’s it, doesn’t matter if it’s formatted, it will show it anyways as it is a drive 

Just now, Zuccers said:

Just choose the right one to boot from and that’s, doesn’t matter if it’s formatted, it will show it anyways as it is a drive 

What?

Gotta delete the other mbr on the old drive.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips

33 minutes ago, fluxdeity said:

Gotta delete the other mbr on the old drive.

How would I go about doing that?

Should see a partition in Disk Management labeled boot. Just make sure it's on your old HDD and not your new one. Also as a safeguard have a usb key with windows 10 already on it.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips

If you feel confident enough you could open an elevated command prompt, and use BCDEDIT to remove the extraneous entry, and adjust the default boot item if needed.

Use BCDEDIT without any parameters to list the entries and settings of the bootstore.

Mine looks this:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {bootmgr}
device                  partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  nl-NL
inherit                 {globalsettings}
default                 {current}
resumeobject            {36e60382-c708-11e8-975b-f4ebad02e4e9}
displayorder            {current}
toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {current}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows 10
locale                  nl-NL
inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence        {d323d87e-fbb3-11e8-bbdf-db6dc94dc908}
displaymessageoverride  Recovery
recoveryenabled         Yes
allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \WINDOWS
resumeobject            {36e60382-c708-11e8-975b-f4ebad02e4e9}
nx                      OptIn
bootmenupolicy          Standard

As you can see, there are 2 entries. One for the bootmanager, and one for the OS.

Yours has probably 3 (or more) entries. Using BCDEDIT /? will give an overview of commands, with BCDEDIT /somecommand /? giving details of said command. You'll most likely need to remove the entry for the harddisk, and adjust the values for default, displayorder and timeout from the {bootmgr} section.

Note: if you're ensure on how to do this, don't. The chances of losing data are slim to none, but you'll most likely end up with a non-bootable system if you do something wrong.