new build, and no need to install windows 10

so today i built me a new PC
my old rig was 10 years old, and the mobo was starting to fail all over. from SB fans to networking.
it was based on the intel core 2 quad q6600. and it ran windows XP, upgraded to 7, then upgraded to 10
this machine served me well

so i got my parts
amd ryzen 5 1600
asus prime b350-plus

brought my previous graphics card a nvidia geforce GTX 1050
ram 2 sticks of G.skill Ripjaws DDR4-2400 8GB (total 16 GB) (part F42400C15D-16GVR)

then i install my HDDs and reboot my computer
as it boots i realize i forgot to insert the windows 10 install disc.

so as im digging for it it boots to the desktop puzzled i use it for a few minutes as i've been told these things don't happen as the drives are linked to your hardware setup.

so i go into my about windows screen and as expected my windows is deactivated. so i click the change license key. paste my windows 7 key and attempt to activate the windows 10 installation.

3 minutes later the key was saved and it started the activation process. and 3 more minutes it said activated.

this completely took me by surprise. i had already downloaded all my software ready for a fresh install, which will now be used to reset the PC as i want to get rid of all my old drivers and what better of a way then that.

TL;DR if your working on a new build and your old and new rigs are running windows 10, just try and load the drives you may be surprised that all you need is a windows 7 key.

yes. they still accept using win7 keys to get win10 for free. also, you booted into the os because the bios did not detect an OS on the other drives to so went through the boot order and found the hdd with win10

Windows 10 is apparently pretty good at coping with hardware changes. Nice to get a first hand confirmation.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.