Will upgrading your powersupply fix coilwine?

Hi again, since I have the money to spare I thought of investing into my PC again. I own a RTX 2080 for almost half a year now and I'm loving it. Only problem is, after a month the poor thing started making coilwine noises while play Warframe at high framerates. It's not a huge deal right now, my max refresh rate as of now is 75Hz so I barely notice it while Vsync is turned on. The thing is, I'll be upgrading to a 144Hz monitor next month so I'm obviously worried the coilwine gets unbearable. So here is my question:

Does upgrading your Powersupply to a higher grade (from a Coolermaster 750w 80 bronze to a 80 gold) have any effect on the coilwine?

I've been told the coilwine is caused thanks to the powersupply. So... Will upgrading to a high grade power supply fix it? And what PSU's do you recommend for the following setup:

i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz

MIS RTX 2080 OC GAMING X TRIO

32GB of DDR4 RAM

1440p 144hz gaming with a 1080p/4K monitor at the side.

If there are other components that may effect it, please let me know! Thanks!

Not really.

Coil whine is caused by the inductor coils physically moving due to electromagnetic forces caused by high frequency switching.

4 minutes ago, KDBgames said:

Coolermaster 750w 80 bronze

i think you have a masterwatt? no surprise on that part that it whines

if it's the psu that whines, it's worth it to replace, if not... still

Most likely not. watts in a psu lineup dont usually change the physical hardware inside, so the coil whine will probably return again if you bought from the same lineup. 

I would first off make sure which of your components is producing the whine, inside an enclosed case it can be pretty tough to tell it can sound like the GPU from the outside but could actually be the PSU. If it is the PSU and you want to replace it I personally wouldn't go for a Coolermaster PSU, I've never used them before mainly because I've heard some pretty sketchy things. Coil Whine issues being one that's common in a lot of their models, due to them being more on the budget side and using cheaper components. I personally have only ever used EVGA, Seasonic, and Corsair power supply's I recommend anything from the EVGA Supernova line, there's sometimes some pretty decent deals where you can get an 80+ platinum PSU for the same price or lower than a gold. Coil whine is more common in the power supply of the computer more than any other component, the GPU is another common component to develop coil whine, if it is the PSU that is having the coil whine issues than replacing it should get rid of it, however if the GPU is what has the coil whine issues than replacing the PSU more than likely won't do much, the issue could be the 80+ bronze rating but it's hard to tell. The only way to 100% get rid of GPU coil whine if the PSU replacement doesn't work is to either warranty or replace your GPU.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

16 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

I would first off make sure which of your components is producing the whine, inside an enclosed case it can be pretty tough to tell it can sound like the GPU from the outside but could actually be the PSU. If it is the PSU and you want to replace it I personally wouldn't go for a Coolermaster PSU, I've never used them before mainly because I've heard some pretty sketchy things. Coil Whine issues being one that's common in a lot of their models, due to them being more on the budget side and using cheaper components. I personally have only ever used EVGA, Seasonic, and Corsair power supply's I recommend anything from the EVGA Supernova line, there's sometimes some pretty decent deals where you can get an 80+ platinum PSU for the same price or lower than a gold. Coil whine is more common in the power supply of the computer more than any other component, the GPU is another common component to develop coil whine, if it is the PSU that is having the coil whine issues than replacing it should get rid of it, however if the GPU is what has the coil whine issues than replacing the PSU more than likely won't do much, the issue could be the 80+ bronze rating but it's hard to tell. The only way to 100% get rid of GPU coil whine if the PSU replacement doesn't work is to either warranty or replace your GPU.

I've tried to figure out if it was the PSU or GPU. I'll give it another shot later this day. If it's the PSU I'll try to upgrade to a Corsair or EVGA as quick as possible and if it's the GPU, I'll request a replacement from the shop I bought it from after purchasing a new PSU. Not buying from Cooler Master again, their PSU's at least.