Longevity of monitor overclocking

DragonsRift

i was doing some testing with my own 144hz panel in nvidia control panel and was able to push my monitor to 240hz, if i were to keep it like this how would it affect the lifespan of the panel?image.png.b3eee1a511b34459e9d7c8d306a14185.png

What monitor is this? What's the native resolution/refresh rate?

I can say that I overclocked my 60hz panels for YEARS without issues to 75hz. That's a +25% overclock on older technology. Since then I've upgraded to a 144hz monitor and run it at 180hz. The 144hz panel I have (check signature) is literally designed and advertised to be overclockable to 180hz, but that's still just a 25% overclock to the panel itself.

*But* 144hz --> 240hz is +67% overclock, unless you're going from like 1440p -> 1080p, which means you can go higher without worrying because reasons I'm not smart enough to explain.

I can say with certainty that a +25% overclock is generally going to last as long as you don't put your fist through the thing, but I can't say for sure on 144-->240

EDIT: Not EVERY PANEL can go +25%, some are like +15-+20% stable, some can go up to +30% or higher stable, I just used +25% as all but one of my 60hz panels were able to hit 75hz no problem and the one that didn't would get 73hz. So as with anything overclocking, your milage may vary.

Specs
i7-6700k @ 4.5GHz w/ H100i AIO
ASUS GTX 1080

32GB DDR4 3000Mh

Acer XB241H bmipr 24" 1920x1080p 180hz monitor
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8qQJWD

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

It is likely that your monitor is just skipping frames at 240hz.

I hadn't thought of that, but now that you said it, I agree. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Probably some built in protection of some sort. Try the UFO test maybe? Maybe Fraps?

Specs
i7-6700k @ 4.5GHz w/ H100i AIO
ASUS GTX 1080

32GB DDR4 3000Mh

Acer XB241H bmipr 24" 1920x1080p 180hz monitor
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8qQJWD

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

13 hours ago, lightning_po said:

I hadn't thought of that, but now that you said it, I agree. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Probably some built in protection of some sort. Try the UFO test maybe? Maybe Fraps?

image.thumb.png.4c2aeca9e407325ca03f87d7f69618ab.png

2 minutes ago, DragonsRift said:

image.thumb.png.4c2aeca9e407325ca03f87d7f69618ab.png

You cant show us screenshots of this test.  There is a frame skip test on that site, you need to physically look at the screen with it running.  A high speed camera is the only way you could "share" the results online.

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

You cant show us screenshots of this test.  There is a frame skip test on that site, you need to physically look at the screen with it running.  A high speed camera is the only way you could "share" the results online.

ok how can i really tell if its skipping?