Plex Server Improvement Suggestions

I recently invested in a HDHomerun and Plex Life Time license. Its been good, but Im always looking at way to improve my setup. 

Current Server:

Lenovo Y70-50 

• Intel Core i7 4710HQ
  • Geforce GTX 960M
  • 16 GB DDR 3 
  • 1 TB SSHD 

The server and HD Homerun are connected directly to the router via Ethernet. Firstly I was thinking about replacing Windows 10 with a OS that might be more suited for this type of work load. I was thinking something Linux based would work. I have heard about people running Plex in Docker, What the hell are dockers? I will need to be able to transfer files from a Windows 10 machine to this Plex Server, as I do all my DVD ripping on my desktop and just transfer the files over the network. Im also looking for a good way to expand storage to the server, as that 1 TB hard disk is filling up fast, I have probably 300 Movies on DVD and Blue Ray, seeing how DVD's even cut down with Make MKV are like 6.5 Gb each Im going to need some more storage space. Thats not even taking in to account Bluerays, as I dont currently have a drive that can read them. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Im also looking for a good way to expand storage to the server, as that 1 TB hard disk is filling up fast

An external USB JBOD or RAID enclosure will do the job.

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Firstly I was thinking about replacing Windows 10 with a OS that might be more suited for this type of work load.

Windows is fine for this, been running mine on a Windows VM for years and I see no benefit to any other OS other than cost.

10 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I have heard about people running Plex in Docker, What the hell are dockers?

Containers are a nice packaged entity that you can deploy quickly and easily, like a VM but containers share the host OS kernel and containers are packaged applications like Plex or something a little more custom you have made in to a container. It's a nice way in lowering configuration steps and increasing deployment speed as the container is basically ready to go as is, minor configuration can be required.

Why this helps is that the containers are isolated from each other so you won't get package version dependency conflicts between different applications. 

On 3/31/2019 at 12:34 AM, leadeater said:

An external USB JBOD or RAID enclosure will do the job.

Windows is fine for this, been running mine on a Windows VM for years and I see no benefit to any other OS other than cost.

Containers are a nice packaged entity that you can deploy quickly and easily, like a VM but containers share the host OS kernel and containers are packaged applications like Plex or something a little more custom you have made in to a container. It's a nice way in lowering configuration steps and increasing deployment speed as the container is basically ready to go as is, minor configuration can be required.

Why this helps is that the containers are isolated from each other so you won't get package version dependency conflicts between different applications. 

Thanks for the reply. I think what I'm going to do is build me a Plex server some time in the nearest Future. What I want to find is a case with easily accessible 3.5 inch drive bays or one that has a few 5.25 bays that can be converted. The fact is I want to build a new machine. But I can't justify 2 - 2.5k for a gaming rig, so this Plex server can help scratch that itch. Plus enable me to get a machine with some upgradability. Because I got like 300 movies both DVD and Blu-ray, eventually I may invest in to 4K, so I rather have something that will grow with me. 

Really what I want to do is get like a 12u rack and get a few rack mount cases for Plex and my gaming rig. But that's not going to happen unless I buy a house. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.