2 Formats in the same HDD ?

The Strange

Hi guys, i have some strange question and hope for help please:

We all know there is 2 formats for HDDs: MBR and GPT.

Consider 1TB HDD with 2 partitions:

- C partition: 100 GB space for windows and programs.

- D partition: the other space.

My question: can i make the C partition with MBR format , and make the D one with GPT format? without losing data??

Thanks in advance.

29 minutes ago, The Strange said:

Hi guys, i have some strange question and hope for help please:

We all know there is 2 formats for HDDs: MBR and GPT.

Consider 1TB HDD with 2 partitions:

- C partition: 100 GB space for windows and programs.

- D partition: the other space.

My question: can i make the C partition with MBR format , and make the D one with GPT format? without losing data??

Thanks in advance.

why would you want to do that?

11 hours ago, TrigrH said:

why would you want to do that?

Well, i have already 1TB HDD with windows 10 64-bit latest version 1809 installed at C, i make it at first with GPT format, but for some reason seriously i need to make it MBR.

I have too much data in the D partition, i'm asking if i can make the C in MBR for the system and programs only without affecting my data at D.

17 minutes ago, The Strange said:

Well, i have already 1TB HDD with windows 10 64-bit latest version 1809 installed at C, i make it at first with GPT format, but for some reason seriously i need to make it MBR.

I have too much data in the D partition, i'm asking if i can make the C in MBR for the system and programs only without affecting my data at D.

The best route for you is to use a partition software program that will convert D to GPT without data loss. After that you can shrink D and extend C.

10 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

The best route for you is to use a partition software program that will convert D to GPT without data loss. After that you can shrink D and extend C.

Sorry for that but I can't understand what you mean exactly, the D is already in GPT format, and its full of data.

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

then you need to convert D to MBR using a software program

I don't trust these kind of software, because most people are saying that converting will destroy all data.

That's why i want to make the C in MBR format and keep the D with GPT format.

Just now, The Strange said:

I don't trust these kind of software, because most people are saying that converting will destroy all data.

That's why i want to make the C in MBR format and keep the D with GPT format.

thats even worse, if you do that, your PC wont boot into windows, the other way is safer.

thats even worse, if you do that, your PC wont boot into windows, the other way is safer.

Why its worse? i'm planning for a clean install of windows in MBR format but at first i want to make C in MBR.

Just now, The Strange said:

Why its worse? i'm planning for a clean install of windows in MBR format but at first i want to make C in MBR.

okay thats easy then just boot into the windows install environment and do it from there using cmd.

7 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

okay thats easy then just boot into the windows install environment and do it from there using cmd.

OK just 1 more thing please to ask about:

- Does this step will affect my data on D? or it will be safe?

- I'm using Rufus program to burn a windows 10 ISO file into my USB, in the last times i was choosing GPT format, should i choose MBR this time??

1 minute ago, The Strange said:

OK just 1 more thing please to ask about:

- Does this step will affect my data on D? or it will be safe?

- I'm using Rufus program to burn a windows 10 ISO file into my USB, in the last times i was choosing GPT format, should i choose MBR this time??

Considering I'm struggling to follow which one is which right now ill give you the facts:

If you want an MBR install of windows you should still be able to burn the iso as a full UEFI install. But you will need to create the partition using cmd in the repair options while booted. As windows will default create a GPT partition from unallocated space (i think).

Considering I'm struggling to follow which one is which right now ill give you the facts:

If you want an MBR install of windows you should still be able to burn the iso as a full UEFI install. But you will need to create the partition using cmd in the repair options while booted. As windows will default create a GPT partition from unallocated space (i think).

Well, that's why i'm asking if i choose MBR from Rufus to burn ISO, should it create the partition in MBR format automatically? of course i will delete C and system partition then click New to make a new partition.

11 hours ago, The Strange said:

Well, that's why i'm asking if i choose MBR from Rufus to burn ISO, should it create the partition in MBR format automatically? of course i will delete C and system partition then click New to make a new partition.

the best way is to create UEFI in rufus, then delete C in the windows installer menu, then go back to the repair option and create the partition in CMD.

20 hours ago, TrigrH said:

the best way is to create UEFI in rufus, then delete C in the windows installer menu, then go back to the repair option and create the partition in CMD.

Thank you so much for your time, and your help, really appreciate this.