Can't change amount of ram reserved for graphics

Since ram prices dropped more than half (for my kit) of what I paid for mine, I decided to buy some more. I have a 2200g and originallyset the amount to 1gb cause I only had 8. Now I try to change that amount to the maximum of 2gb, save and exit bios, but I still only have 1gb of reserved ram for graphics.

Main pc

CPU: AMD RYZEN 2200G || GPU: EVGA GTX 780 || PSU: EVGA 500W  ||  MOBO: MSI B350M MORTAR ||

RAM: BALLISTIX SPORT LT 12GB (4X3) DDR4 3133 MHz ||  CPU COOLER: AMD WRAITH STEALTH || SSD: SILICON POWER S55 120GB (BOOT) ||

HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB BLUE 7.2K RPM, 200GB random Toshiba HDD || CASE: Thermaltake View 28 ||

Consoles

|| XBOX 360 || NINTENDO WII U || PLAYSTATION 3 || PSVita (1000 model, henkaku fw 3.87 || NINTENDO 3DS XL || Nintendo Switch Lite ||

5 minutes ago, Raspi454 said:

It doesn't matter and doesn't affect anything

that board wasn't a great choice for APUs, be sure to throw a fan over your top VRM if you're doing any iGPU overclocking. looks like it only has a 2 phase with no heatsink for the iGPU

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

It doesn't matter and doesn't affect anything

that board wasn't a great choice for APUs, be sure to throw a fan over your top VRM if you're doing any iGPU overclocking. looks like it only has a 2 phase with no heatsink for the iGPU

What?

Main pc

CPU: AMD RYZEN 2200G || GPU: EVGA GTX 780 || PSU: EVGA 500W  ||  MOBO: MSI B350M MORTAR ||

RAM: BALLISTIX SPORT LT 12GB (4X3) DDR4 3133 MHz ||  CPU COOLER: AMD WRAITH STEALTH || SSD: SILICON POWER S55 120GB (BOOT) ||

HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB BLUE 7.2K RPM, 200GB random Toshiba HDD || CASE: Thermaltake View 28 ||

Consoles

|| XBOX 360 || NINTENDO WII U || PLAYSTATION 3 || PSVita (1000 model, henkaku fw 3.87 || NINTENDO 3DS XL || Nintendo Switch Lite ||

Just now, Raspi454 said:

What?

The reserved memory thing doesn't have any affect  on performance unless you're having some strange issue.

the VRM on your motherboard wasn't a great choice for an APU build because the top part powering the integrated graphics has no cooling and looks weak in general, but it's not going to matter so long as it has some airflow over it and you aren't trying to do heavy overclocks on the iGPU.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Well fuck my life I knew this pc was a big waste of money and time anyway. thought it would be better than my Xbox one which I sold to help pay for the pc parts. Fuck.

Main pc

Consoles

3 minutes ago, Raspi454 said:

Well fuck my life I knew this pc was a big waste of money and time anyway. thought it would be better than my Xbox one which I sold to help pay for the pc parts. Fuck.

Why? Your PC is still perfectly fine for lighter gaming or 720p AAA gaming unless you're having performance issues unrelated to the dedicated VRAM, and when you add a GPU in the future the top VRM won't even be used much, and it's not like your motherboard is going to break or something.

What speed is the kit of RAM you bought?

I'm also not sure how using 4 sticks of memory affects an APU, but it may limit your memory speeds potentially.

with memory overclocking a ryzen APU can just about hit GT 1030 or RX 550 levels.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Why? Your PC is still perfectly fine for lighter gaming or 720p AAA gaming unless you're having performance issues unrelated to the dedicated VRAM, and when you add a GPU in the future the top VRM won't even be used much

What speed is the kit of RAM you bought?

I'm also not sure how using 4 sticks of memory affects an APU, but it may limit your memory speeds potentially.

with memory overclocking a ryzen APU can just about hit GT 1030 or RX 550 levels.

2666mhz, but I went into the bios to change xmp to 3133 but I don't think that xmp even changed the speed.

Main pc

Consoles

Just now, Raspi454 said:

2666mhz, but I went into the bios to change xmp to 3133 but I don't think that xmp even changed the speed.

You can check the memory speeds and timings using CPU-Z, and it should change it, you can also use 1.4V for the memory if it's only at 1.35V to get it more stable.

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Raspi454 said:

To outbeast an X-Bone, a simple fix would be to hit up ebay for a used GPU. The following are $50< shipped on average in the US, and all in the ballpark or better than what the XBOX/PS4 utilize.

HD 7870

GTX 760

R9 270x

HD 7970

R9 280(x)

GTX 770

A used RX 480 for around $80 would put you in a really nice gaming zonefor a 1080p monitor!

28 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

I had considered an ol r9 390 or fury in the past but I don't think I really want to put anymore money into this for a while.

Main pc

Consoles

Also should this be at peg or igd? Force, auto, or disabled? I'm assuming buffer size set low.

IMG_20190328_192146.jpg

Main pc

Consoles

Ok speed in task manager says 3133 now, which is what I was aiming for. Now my audio doesn't work! Fuck this

Main pc

Consoles

7 minutes ago, Raspi454 said:

Ok speed in task manager says 3133 now, which is what I was aiming for. Now my audio doesn't work! Fuck this

No idea why would audio would be off now

Probably just update your BIOs, check the website page for the motherboard on what versions to update to.

Then maybe just do a clean reinstall of windows to rule out software issues.

an RX 470 through the RX 580 are much faster than your iGPU and relatively cheap, especially used.

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

No idea why would audio would be off now

Probably just update your BIOs, check the website page for the motherboard on what versions to update to.

Then maybe just do a clean reinstall of windows to rule out software issues.

an RX 470 through the RX 580 are much faster than your iGPU and relatively cheap, especially used.i

It worked with the Windows default driver then I reinstalled the realtek ones and it don't work.

Main pc

Consoles

1 minute ago, Raspi454 said:

It worked with the Windows default driver then I reinstalled the realtek ones and it don't work.

might just be some conflict with windows or something, but the audio drivers aren't going to change anything.

Some of those options above probably just enable the iGPU even if you have a  dedicated GPU installed

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Raspi454 said:

19 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I figured it out. First time downloaded from msi website. Got mixed with some amd stuff, when I reinstalled that stopped working. Downloadedfrom msi site, now it's working again.

Main pc

Consoles

59 minutes ago, Raspi454 said:

I had considered an ol r9 390 or fury in the past but I don't think I really want to put anymore money into this for a while.

The 390 or the Fury are badass cards to be sure. They run pretty pricey, even in the used market.

I only suggest that tier because it's a pretty low investment amount for decent results. 

I recently got an r9 280x for $40. Can't complain with price to performance.

(My RX 580 8GB out performs heavily obviously, they are for a fun project pc for my daughter. I'd say it's well worth.)

23 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

The 390 or the Fury are badass cards to be sure. They run pretty pricey, even in the used market.

I only suggest that tier because it's a pretty low investment amount for decent results. 

I recently got an r9 280x for $40. Can't complain with price to performance.

(My RX 580 8GB out performs heavily obviously, they are for a fun project pc for my daughter. I'd say it's well worth.)

Alright, thanks.

Main pc

Consoles