article 13 and the future of LMG and floatplan

AharonG
49 minutes ago, thinwalrus said:

If they did not everyone would use banana state proxy to upload Marvel movies etc. I really cant understand why people who create content are so scared about this. Internet will still be more free in EU than USA if this passes.

Oh I don't know, maybe the whole part about everything being covered by copyright and the fact that small indie artists and whatnot will have to find a way to deal with big platforms to get their content promoted which will force them to have to join with larger labels and studios to negotiate which are notorious for screwing over the little people time and time again?

Additionally this isn't going to stop piracy in the least, just shuffle it around at best.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

Oh I don't know, maybe the whole part about everything being covered by copyright and the fact that small indie artists and whatnot will have to find a way to deal with big platforms to get their content promoted which will force them to have to join with larger labels and studios to negotiate which are notorious for screwing over the little people time and time again?

Additionally this isn't going to stop piracy in the least, just shuffle it around at best.

The smaller companies (sub £11m or 5m monthly hits) are not in scope. Only the big players will get hit if that's what you mean? If you mean the content creators then we have to deal with the big platforms already?

It won't stop piracy, it will move it around a bit BUT it will also clarify better what is and what isn't piracy. Right now you could, in theory, be whacked for posting (say) a Metallica meme*... this law will protect you.

*in some parts of the EU

8 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

maybe not specifically, but they do have that effect to an extent. 

how?  They only limit reproduction of content without permission, not the original content.  There is no way they can be interpreted to prevent original content from being disseminated on the internet.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It won't affect LMG and/or Floatplane. Article 13 only affects the viewers living in an EU country, copyrighted content will be blocked for the EU residents 

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

how?  They only limit reproduction of content without permission, not the original content.  There is no way they can be interpreted to prevent original content from being disseminated on the internet.

sure you can upload original content to the internet. say youtube. however sharing without permission is illegal now. i don't know about you but i don't go to youtube and type a searchterm for something newsworthy, i watch philip defranco. i don't go to facebook to manually search for everything. i scroll down my feed to see what everyone else shared. 

She/Her

Edit: Upon thinking about it - LMG/Floatplane are almost entirely self-created content, so they wouldn't be subject to Article 13. They only would if they included other people's content, such as memes.

The forum is another beast entirely. They'd have to severely moderate and clamp down on the posting of memes and other such copyrighted content.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

sure you can upload original content to the internet. say youtube. however sharing without permission is illegal now. i don't know about you but i don't go to youtube and type a searchterm for something newsworthy, i watch philip defranco. i don't go to facebook to manually search for everything. i scroll down my feed to see what everyone else shared. 

You misunderstand the law then,  None of that is banning news or information.  It is just stopping someone from directly copy/pasting someone else's work and making money from it.  Any one can make their own news article or video talking about the latest whatever and that won't be taken down.

I watched the first 30ssec of one of his videos, if they are all like that then there is nothing in this law that should cause his videos to be taken down.  In fact if I was you I would be more concerned that you watch that kind of stuff than anything else.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

17 hours ago, callum- said:

It won't affect LMG and/or Floatplane. Article 13 only affects the viewers living in an EU country, copyrighted content will be blocked for the EU residents 

So the viewer base and views will go down 

and also when floatplane will be big enough they will need to do something 

On 3/27/2019 at 4:48 PM, AharonG said:

as we all know, our worst nightmare came true. the whole internet is about to change.

i would like to hear what linus and luke have to say about that in WAN show this weekend

lets get them to see this

p.s.

i dont know if this thread is the first of its kind i just joined the forum 

Nothing would happen to specifically LMG or Floatplane, but it may get restricted/blocked in the EU on the grounds that the content filters just can't filter things accurately.

Oh yeah, and happy promoting VPN's, it will have a really big boom in the EU markets, especially NordVPN, ExpressVPN, etc.

If my answer got you to your solution make sure to 'Mark Resolved!
( / . _ . / )

i am not quite sure if we have the equivalent of the fair use, f.ex. in Denmark we do however have this, which gives us the right to freely loan and utilized all items, which means that you can loan all kinds of media for free..

the only restriction is that you cannot use it for profit. that is also why you on every library can loan music and other medias, and of course books without charge, actually there is no reason to buy these things in Denmark, unless it is for education, or public usecases, it is to ensure that learning is a free element in society. 

i´m against the legislation done on the internet, but i do understand why you want some kind of control, of your OWN media, f.ex. games being played on the internet, not the multiplayer games, but f.ex. heavy story driven games, getting the thing spoiled will make you refrain from buying the title.

Critique is however always legal, i i do now that we had a rule of how much of a video you could use, but you do have to quote if used, to ensure that the real author or creator gets the recognition. 

large parts of the youtube community is based on piggybagging on other peoples knowledge, but as long as you don´t earn money on it, in Denmark, then it is legal to a point. 

Copyright in the Nordic countries is based on § 2 of the national Copyright Acts. However, in all of the countries, copyright is limited by a number of exemptions to secure "fair use". The legitimate economic interests of the copyright holders to protect their rights are weighed against public demand for free utilisation of protected works. Technically, this weighting is carried out by imposing limits on the rules. Three different legal constructions restrict copyright in principle:

• free utilisation – the most radical form of restriction, which allows free use without prior permission and without remuneration to the copyright holder;
  • compulsory licenses – a construction that permits use without prior permission, but copyright holders have the right to remuneration; and
  • collective agreement license – a special Danish / Nordic construction, which involves users entering into an agreement with a representative organisation, granting users the right to use all of the copyright holders' works of the type in question, including works that do not fall under the auspices of the organisation. In other words, agreement licenses are based on voluntary agreements entered into between the parties, but also involve an element similar to compulsory licenses in relation to outside copyright holders.

This latter model, the collective agreement license, in particular clearly illustrates the common perception of the basic problem facing copyright legislation in the Nordic countries: Finding a balance between the copyright holder's right to control of, and remuneration for, the exploitation of his / her own work and society's need for quick and easy access to knowledge, information, etc.