Acer monitor kills my PC, what are my chances?

WhatComesAround

Ok so here's the story. I bought a graphics card, some ram, a hard drive and ssd, and an i5 2400. It was going to be my little brother's PC. But I needed a monitor. So having had an acer monitor and PC (before I upgraded it) for the past 8 years I thought they made pretty reliable products. So I thought, what the heck I'll get him an Acer monitor. It arrives and I test everything. The PC was already working fine long before the monitor arrived. And still if you switch it on it doesn't short out. It just doesn't work because the motherboard is fried where the HDMI port is. (Spoiler alert). So what happened: We moved the monitor after I was done testing game settings (my brother's a noob, you'll see how much of a noob in a second), we have everything set up in his room. Plug in the PC, plug in the Monitor. I plug in the HDMI cable into the monitor, and my brother being such a noob plugged the HDMI cable into the motherboard (That's a good thing though, because otherwise the GPU would be dead). We have switches for our outlets here in Malaysia. PC, powered. As soon as I flipped the switch for the monitor's power cable, bang! Huge sparks from the monitor and a burning smell from the PC (And the whole apartment is dark). The motherboard is not fully functioning anymore (no post, fans spin like crazy). Monitor doesn't even turn on. I have left both, the monitor and the PC at the acer service center telling them the whole story. My question is: Since the monitor killed my PC's motherboard (keep in mind I tested it, and used it FOR YEARS, the monitor was brand new), can Acer replace the motherboard FOC since the monitor is what killed it?

*PS: I had other troubles with the monitor, for instance it was advertised that it had on board speakers, my pc detected them, but they weren't working. The monitor in question is the acer kg251q.

Are you sure it's not the PSU? Seems unlikely to me that your monitor would be the cause of that.

What PSU were you using in the PC at the time?

Just now, XR6 said:

Are you sure it's not the PSU? Seems unlikely to me that your monitor would be the cause of that.

What PSU were you using in the PC at the time?

The PSU still works fine. The PSU is the one that came with the PC. Also the sparks came from the HDMI cable.

7 minutes ago, WhatComesAround said:

can Acer replace the motherboard FOC since the monitor is what killed it?

No, they won't, I am not so sure that it was the monitor, but even if it did, they won't replace your motherboard.

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

No, they won't, I am not so sure that it was the monitor, but even if it did, they won't replace your motherboard.

Ohh well, lets see what comes of all this

Just now, WhatComesAround said:

Ohh well, lets see what comes of all this

I can guarantee that Acer won't replace your motherboard. Nothing too see.

2 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

I can guarantee that Acer won't replace your motherboard. Nothing too see.

I'm talking about the warranty issue as a whole. Sheesh relax.

1 minute ago, WhatComesAround said:

I'm talking about the warranty issue as a whole. Sheesh relax.

I'm relaxed, I was not being salty or whatever. 

5 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

I'm relaxed, I was not being salty or whatever. 

Alright. When I said, "Ohh well" that meant "too bad but so what". $35 for a new board isn't a big deal.