I5-2500k or 6500

So about 8 months ago I was a bit of a newbie and when looking for a cpu upgrade for my i5-2500k I purchased a i5-6500, of course not being an upgrade at all (I now think) and just losing the OC capability. 

My question is, should I switch back to the 2500k for now (I tend to upgrade something yearly and recently got a Zotac Twin Fan 2060) , or should I stay with the more recent 6500? Both have stock clocks at 3.2 and quad core. 

My games (shadow of the tomb raider, division 2, Sekiro) feel fine at max on 1080p (max my display supports) so performance isn't really an issue. I don't tend to track FPS long as I catch myself staring at it instead of playing the game, so as long as I don't notice hitching or dips and it's stable I'm happy. However I'm wondering if staying with the newer 6500 will help me in any way, or should I switch back to the 2500k and have a bit of fun with the OC. I'm not entirely sure what the newer generations bring to the table. All I know is it taught me to do a bit more research before I drop $150 on basically the same chip I'm "upgrading" from. 

IMO, that chip is was not worth buying. As long as you have 2nd gen or higher, i would not upgrade to anything below 8600k.

well you did have to buy a new mobo and ram for it so take that into consideration. Secondly the ipc jump per generation has been going done since haswell so unless you are jumping to the newest top of the line stuff it might not be worth it. Heck i still use haswell. DDR3 is cheaper and is super easy to OC. If you are gaming a new gpu will be a bigger boost then a new cpu. 

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

I already have the new GPU covered (purchased a 2060) and I've had the i5-6500 installed for a while, just didn't know if I should cut my losses, go back to the 2500k and sell the 6500. I've checked the board and ram and everything would be compatible if I did, the only thing I was worried about would be switching from a 6th Gen back to a 2nd Gen, but it seems like that won't be an issue. I do have a purchase like the 8600k planned, just might be farther off than I would like.