Clean Install of Windows 10

LiquidFox

Hello everyone, I have an SSD (120GB) and a HDD (1TB), in my SSD I only have windows 10 install and all of the programs are installed in my HDD, for example: Steam and games installed with it, Origin, Visual Studio Code, Pycharm, Unity 3D, Google Chrome etc

Now I want to format my SSD and Clean install windows, but my programs are stored in my HDD. What will happen if I format my SSD and install windows 10??

What will happen to my apps and software installed on my HDD?? How can I use those programs in my new install of windows?? Will I able to use those programs install on my HDD in my fresh install of Windows 10??

Nothing will happen to the files of the programs when you reinstall windows. However they will not be installed on the new install of windows 10. You could in theory try and run the exe files manually but unfortunately most programs install secondary files in other places besides the program folder that are required to run so you really need to just reinstall the programs to get everything working correctly.

Your safest best is to just delete the folders of each of the programs on your hard drive before you reinstall them. The one exception to this would be the Stream games and Origin game files. Both steam and Origin will discover the existing game files when you try and install the game again. Just make sure the install is pointing to the same directory that the game files already exist. 

16 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

Nothing will happen to the files of the programs when you reinstall windows. However they will not be installed on the new install of windows 10. You could in theory try and run the exe files manually but unfortunately most programs install secondary files in other places besides the program folder that are required to run so you really need to just reinstall the programs to get everything working correctly.

Your safest best is to just delete the folders of each of the programs on your hard drive before you reinstall them. The one exception to this would be the Stream games and Origin game files. Both steam and Origin will discover the existing game files when you try and install the game again. Just make sure the install is pointing to the same directory that the game files already exist

So my option is to just backup my video games and reinstall everything else.

Ohh one more question, I just brought a pair of SSDs, can I have all of my SSDs in RAID 0 and install windows 10 on it or just install windows on one SSD and make a raid 0 of rest of the 2 new SSDs?? Please Note: all of my SSDs are of same capacity but they are from different companies.

1 hour ago, LiquidFox said:

Hello everyone, I have an SSD (120GB) and a HDD (1TB), in my SSD I only have windows 10 install and all of the programs are installed in my HDD, for example: Steam and games installed with it, Origin, Visual Studio Code, Pycharm, Unity 3D, Google Chrome etc

Now I want to format my SSD and Clean install windows, but my programs are stored in my HDD. What will happen if I format my SSD and install windows 10??

What will happen to my apps and software installed on my HDD?? How can I use those programs in my new install of windows?? Will I able to use those programs install on my HDD in my fresh install of Windows 10??

You can kindof use some apps.I have tried firefox,vlc,etc.Basically after reinstalling,run setup for firefox or vlc and when setup runs and asks you for the location to install,give the old one location.For steam,let it install on ssd and give game location to hdd.

19 hours ago, LiquidFox said:

So my option is to just backup my video games and reinstall everything else.

Ohh one more question, I just brought a pair of SSDs, can I have all of my SSDs in RAID 0 and install windows 10 on it or just install windows on one SSD and make a raid 0 of rest of the 2 new SSDs?? Please Note: all of my SSDs are of same capacity but they are from different companies.

Yes you can install windows 10 on a RAID drive. I may not be the best person to ask, as It has been awhile since I have tried installing Windows on a RAID array. But from what I remember you need some type of hardware RAID support. Many motherboards support some versions of RAID, I would look at your motherboard first so what it supports. Your probably going to need to copy some type of raid driver during your windows 10 install for it to see the RAID drive. 

Just remember Raid 0 is not safe for data storage at all, one drive dies and you loose everything.  So don't keep anything important on the drive without a backup.