Slow Wireless Speeds

uzivkovic997

Hello guys,

I have VDSL 100/40. When its connected through ethernet port, my speeds are pretty much good (85-95/35), but when I connect any of my devices through Wireless, my speeds are going down to 20/20.

This is happening on 2.4GHz and on 5GHz as well even when I am literally next to router.

I already checked environement and there is just one router in my range working on 5GHz. 

I tried to change channels on 2.4 and on 5GHz as well but nothing happens. 

This is the third router I have changed and I still have the same problem. Btw, router is from my ISP and all 3 of them are the same model, they don't want to send me different one.

Firmware is up to date. Wireless drivers are reinstalled on both of my laptops, but I have same problem on phone (iPhone 6s).

Router is on the opposite way of my room (distance is like 8 meters) but I don't want to connect my laptops through ethernet.

So, there is just one more router who is working on 5GHz in my range (but its pretty far, signal quality is just 10%), this is the 3rd router i am using, firmware is up to date, drivers are reinstalled.

Can anyone help me with this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I think the sad truth of wireless is that it is just mounds slower that wired. Unless the router is designed to have a great wireless speed, it'll likely perform below your wanted expectations.

Just now, KhakiHat said:

I think the sad truth of wireless is that it is just mounds slower that wired. Unless the router is designed to have a great wireless speed, it'll likely perform below your wanted expectations.

I forgot to mention, 2 months ago i had pretty much good speed over wireless, almost the same as through the ethernet. And I can't figure it out what changed so now I have these speeds.

4 minutes ago, uzivkovic997 said:

I forgot to mention, 2 months ago i had pretty much good speed over wireless, almost the same as through the ethernet. And I can't figure it out what changed so now I have these speeds.

Hmm, that is odd.

58 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

Hmm, that is odd.

Yeah, I don't know what else can I try.

Its a long shot but have you tried different channels?

Although with all three routers comparable I'd wonder if your ISP has updated their firmware to something with a bug.  Its a very specific speed to cap to really be anything other than a software or hardware issue, and as you've tried different hardware....

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 3/25/2019 at 3:54 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its a long shot but have you tried different channels?

Although with all three routers comparable I'd wonder if your ISP has updated their firmware to something with a bug.  Its a very specific speed to cap to really be anything other than a software or hardware issue, and as you've tried different hardware....

Yeah, I tried all channels on 2.4GHz as well as on 5GHz but nothing happens.

I called them multiple times but they didn't helped me at all. I updated firmware alone but nothing changed, and ISP says that they have nothing to do with that.

I tried everything I know, but now I ran out of possible solutions...

I'd be tempted to give up on them, just get your own WiFi Access Point and plug it into an ethernet port.

Or maybe even, if possible, ditch their router entirely for a better one of your own.  Although personally I like to keep my router and WiFi AP as dedicated devices, it allows for optimal positioning for WiFi reception without being limited to where your phone socket is.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

7 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'd be tempted to give up on them, just get your own WiFi Access Point and plug it into an ethernet port.

Or maybe even, if possible, ditch their router entirely for a better one of your own.  Although personally I like to keep my router and WiFi AP as dedicated devices, it allows for optimal positioning for WiFi reception without being limited to where your phone socket is.

I agree with you but I am not sure if the router is the problem. I'm a student and I can't afford that easy to buy router.

But I will try to borrow from some friends to check it.